7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tranny noise NEVER in nuetral or idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin Bice is an unknown quantity at this point
Tranny noise NEVER in nuetral or idle

Alright so I have a similar noise to an input shaft bearing but it does NOT happen in idle. It happens only when in gear and driving with the clutch fully released. Press the clutch in no noise but if the gears are in nuetral no noise ever. Even if the car is rolling in nuetral and clutch is released no noise, first gear loud noise and it's gets quiter as you shift up. Almost silent in 4th and nothing in 5th. Now it sounds like the input shaft bearing but I'm not 100% because you don't ever hear it at idle but it is significantly loud in 1st. Again the noise doesn't happens until clutch is released and car is moving under its own power. Every feed I find with the input shaft bearing you can hear it in nuetral or at idle. Hence why I am a little stumped. What you all think?
Old 03-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tranny noise NEVER in nuetral or idle

Hard to tell much without experiencing it in person, but your description makes me think one of the mainshaft or countershaft bearings might be going bad.

If a bearing has enough play, gear noise can result as shafts and gear teeth become mis-aligned with movement.

Once you are accelerating and it is making a lot of noise, does the noise change when you decelerate? (lift foot off gas pedal)