7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I can't find this part...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fort_em2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question I can't find this part...

These two bolts came off the exhaust manifold. One of the nuts is stripped badly. I am trying to find a replacement but the diagram shows it as a part of the manifold. The only place I could find what I thought was the right part showed the number in the picture but that line was missing out of the list. I took the bolt to the hardware store but couldn't find a nut the fit it right. Not sure if it is rusted out of size and needs the bolt replaced too, or if I need to tighten it with a wrench, but it wouldn't go past about 1/4th of an inch in the store.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2582.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	89488

Also, I can't tell if there is still gasket on my block. I have been trying to get this off for two days. It sort of feels like it might be, but I have literally tried everything - razor blades and rags and even soaking it with carb cleaner multiple times and letting it soak on it for two days. Still won't budge and I don't want to try anything crazy and get a low spot. I might just be just paranoid that I will call it good and then blow another head gasket, but don't want to take any chances.

Name:	IMG_2585.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	89489

Name:	IMG_2586.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	89490

Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I can't find this part...

Yeah.. that nut is supposed to be welded to the exhaust manifold. However, if you want to replace the bolt and spring with OEM parts, here are the part numbers
bolt: 18231-SR3-A22
spring: 18230-SV4-000

As for your gasket situation, I got nothin. I'd wipe it down with some brake cleaner and/or Marvel's Mystery Oil and see if anything remains. I'm sure ezone will chime in with more helpful insight. lol
Old 02-04-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The nut used to be welded, now it has broken free......no big deal unless it's in an impossible spot. Nut is probably 8 x 1.25, whatever you can find in a nut&bolt bin that will thread onto the bolt......... you'd just need to hold it with a wrench while tightening the bolt into it.

You're right about creating low spots, that's a bad thing.

The block surface doesn't need to be spotless, you probably can't ever get it spotless. The important thing is SMOOTH.

I usually clean the head and block using a bunch of single edge razor blades and a can of brake cleaner or carb and throttle cleaner. I don't worry about discoloration as long as it's smooth.

Name:  bQ1fuWE.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  771.5 KB
Old 02-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fort_em2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think it would be a problem to just put a random bolt in there without a spring or should I replace the bolt with oem and find a nut to fit? I sort of have a feeling that the 8x1.25 nut didn't fit because it has a little rust build up.
Old 02-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If you make it a solid joint it's just going to snap off the exhaust flange.

The joint has to be able to flex and move as the engine moves around....that's why it's got to have the long bolts and springs.

Did you try threading the bolt and nut together using wrenches?
Trying to thread them using just your fingers isn't always possible.

If the bolt isn't real cruddy and could be reused, wire brush the threads of the bolt if you have to. Maybe run a thread chaser or die on the threads to straighten them up. Still may need to use wrenches though.