7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2004 Civic Coupe DX getting low gas mileage with mixed driving conditions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steve_333 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic Coupe DX getting low gas mileage with mixed driving conditions

I've had my Civic for almost a year now and I've constantly hit 10-11L/100km (25-27mpg) on one tank of gas while mostly driving in mixed highway and street conditions during summer and winter.

This mileage seems pretty low for a car with a 1.7L engine and I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem?

The car idles very smoothly at around 300-400rpm and otherwise runs very well.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2004 Civic Coupe DX getting low gas mileage with mixed driving conditions

idle seems a little low, are you driving it like a race car? (dont do that)
check your plugs, air filter, clean all the intake sensors, throttle body
Are you putting in the cheapest possible gas from sketchy places?
do an idle relearn as well.
Manual transmission and cruise control help alot with gas mileage
Old 01-19-2017
Registered!!

Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point

tell us how you drive please. do you do the PSL? easy on the pedal or floor it? how long are your trips?
Old 01-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW might just be a clogged injector, put some seafoam or techron in the tank see if that helps. I had an acura do the same thing and one tank of techron cleaner cleared it up mileage went up 25%. good luck
Old 01-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by guitarsnlikker
FWIW might just be a clogged injector, put some seafoam or techron in the tank see if that helps. I had an acura do the same thing and one tank of techron cleaner cleared it up mileage went up 25%. good luck
Thanks for the reply, I've already tried gas tank fuel injector cleaner a couple times and I've sadly had no luck with it.

Originally Posted by Colin42
idle seems a little low, are you driving it like a race car? (dont do that)
check your plugs, air filter, clean all the intake sensors, throttle body
Are you putting in the cheapest possible gas from sketchy places?
do an idle relearn as well.
Manual transmission and cruise control help alot with gas mileage
Thanks for the reply, the car is automatic and does not have cruise control.

It's very rare that I push my car but I sometimes do, I've done tests trying to drive the car as smoothly and fuel efficient as possible and it didn't make a significant difference on my gas mileage when compared to regular/normal everyday driving. I fuel up using well-known companies such as Shell or Petro Canada.

As for the idle, it does seem somewhat low, I'll verify it using an odb connector next time I drive it, what could this be a symptom of?

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy
tell us how you drive please. do you do the PSL? easy on the pedal or floor it? how long are your trips?
Thanks for the reply, I'm not quite sure what you mean by PSL. A large majority of the time I am very easy on the gas pedal. I have already tried going a full tank while driving as fuel efficient as possible, it did not make a significant difference in fuel economy sadly. My trips vary by a lot, typically I'll drive in 15-30km intervals with a pretty much 50-50% split between highway and city driving
Old 01-20-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve_333
Thanks for the reply, the car is automatic and does not have cruise control.

It's very rare that I push my car but I sometimes do, I've done tests trying to drive the car as smoothly and fuel efficient as possible and it didn't make a significant difference on my gas mileage when compared to regular/normal everyday driving. I fuel up using well-known companies such as Shell or Petro Canada.

As for the idle, it does seem somewhat low, I'll verify it using an odb connector next time I drive it, what could this be a symptom of?
I went from an 05 stick shift with cruise to my new 05 that's auto with no cruise, and I've noticed a decrease in economy, probably a little more than 0.5L/100kms difference. I'm averaging 7.6L/100kms in the new car and I'm driving it easier than the old one.

Low idle could be because the computer doesn't like the data that it sees and isn't sure what to do with it. Is the check engine light on? Clean the throttle body (there's a thread on how do to it somewhere), clean all the intake sensors, check your spark plugs and air filter.

You're supposed to do an idle relearn after you clean intake things anyways so you might as well clean those things and then do the idle relearn. There's threads that mention how to do it here, but off the top of my head:

Disconnect the battery and leave it for at least 20 mins, reconnect the battery and then start the car, make sure nothing electrical is turned on in the car, no lights (parking brake up), no heater fans, no stereo, nothing. Let the car idle for 25-20 mins, the cooling fans should cycle at least twice. And then you should be good to go.
Old 01-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
I went from an 05 stick shift with cruise to my new 05 that's auto with no cruise, and I've noticed a decrease in economy, probably a little more than 0.5L/100kms difference. I'm averaging 7.6L/100kms in the new car and I'm driving it easier than the old one.

Low idle could be because the computer doesn't like the data that it sees and isn't sure what to do with it. Is the check engine light on? Clean the throttle body (there's a thread on how do to it somewhere), clean all the intake sensors, check your spark plugs and air filter.

You're supposed to do an idle relearn after you clean intake things anyways so you might as well clean those things and then do the idle relearn. There's threads that mention how to do it here, but off the top of my head:

Disconnect the battery and leave it for at least 20 mins, reconnect the battery and then start the car, make sure nothing electrical is turned on in the car, no lights (parking brake up), no heater fans, no stereo, nothing. Let the car idle for 25-20 mins, the cooling fans should cycle at least twice. And then you should be good to go.
I just verified my idle using a cheapie ODB2 connector and I read around 700rpm, which is pretty normal. The cluster gauge was a little inaccurate so that rules that out.
Old 01-21-2017
Registered!!

Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point

PSL = Posted Speed Limit
Old 01-22-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

what maintenance have you been doing?

air filters, etc.
Old 01-22-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
what maintenance have you been doing?

air filters, etc.
The air filter was changed last year, oil was changed around october, the only maintenance that I can think of that might not have been done for a while would be the spark plugs. The previous owner gave me a pretty comprehensive list of receipts for the car and I didn't see the spark plugs being mentioned anywhere. I had pulled one plug to check its condition a while ago and it seemed like it was in good condition but maybe the remaining three would be different?
Old 01-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

I've had my Civic for almost a year now and I've constantly hit 10-11L/100km (25-27mpg) on one tank of gas while mostly driving in mixed highway and street conditions during summer and winter.
in my opinion, that doesn't really seem too far off from the norm for a 12-13 year old car,

there are literally hundreds, or even thousands of things that can affect fuel economy....impossible to really pin point it down to one variable,
Old 01-23-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

The air filter was changed last year, oil was changed around october, the only maintenance that I can think of that might not have been done for a while would be the spark plugs. The previous owner gave me a pretty comprehensive list of receipts for the car and I didn't see the spark plugs being mentioned anywhere. I had pulled one plug to check its condition a while ago and it seemed like it was in good condition but maybe the remaining three would be different?
go through the list

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html

also, not sure on the wideband sensors, but when my MPG goes down, usually it's the O2 sensor going bad. but i changed twice at 125 k miles.
Old 01-24-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
go through the list

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html

also, not sure on the wideband sensors, but when my MPG goes down, usually it's the O2 sensor going bad. but i changed twice at 125 k miles.
I'll go through the list, thank you.