7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What should I fix next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sf170089 is an unknown quantity at this point
What should I fix next?

Hey guys! So, here's the deal, I am hoping some of you guys have a crystal ball to tell me what is next to go.

My wife is getting a bit fed up with our 2001 Civic LX (~160K). A few months ago, the radiator cracked in it and stranded her at work. Just last week, she got stuck at work again and we found a crack in the exhaust manifold (thanks eZone!!).

I bought this car new in Jan 2002 and I still love it. But, she wants to get rid of it. I think I can hold her off one more time, but I feel the next time it breaks down will mark the end for my Civic. So, I want to be pro-active.

When something goes wrong, I read all about it. I feel like these recent issues are common problems. I probably could have anticipated needing to replace the radiator and avoided that problem. The cracked exhaust manifold also sounds like a standard problem that could have been anticipated. I obviously cannot replace every component one at a time, but are there other "anticipated" issues I can prevent based solely on miles? For example, it has the original alternator. If Honda alternators have a lifespan of ~ 125 - 150k miles, mine is probably due to fail at any time. So, would it be prudent to replace it now before it goes and strands my wife at work again?

I saw this:

http://www.autos.com/car-buying/7-ho...to-be-aware-of

Thus far, I have #2 (Exhaust manifold cracking), #3 (Headline sagging), #5 (sun visor problems). So far, the Transmission seems okay and hopefully the engine block is not cracked.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/Civic/

This one says that the 2001 Honda Civic has the most complaints :-(. (Should I be worried about the Transmission??)

Anyways, if there is anything you guys think I should do, please let me know. I try to do the standard Maintenance intervals, but I am not diligent about it.
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What should I fix next?

your owners manual should have a list of maintenence items and the scheduled intervals.....have you been using it?.....have you done the things listed?

at that age and mileage, you should be replacing all fluids (depending on when they were done last)

- transmission fluid
- coolant
- power steering
- brake fluid

when was the last time you changed the timing belt?

i don't see the point in going around replacing parts like an alternator randomly if they are still working
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

@mikey1

Thank you very much for your quick response!! I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by mikey1
your owners manual should have a list of maintenence items and the scheduled intervals.....have you been using it?.....have you done the things listed?
I could be better. I was very diligent about it at the start, but then trailed off. I miss one here and there, and am late at time, but I try to hit the intervals.

at that age and mileage, you should be replacing all fluids (depending on when they were done last)

- transmission fluid
- coolant
- power steering
- brake fluid
Yes to all. I just replaced the radiator, so that was the most recent.

when was the last time you changed the timing belt?
I just pulled my records folder (I keep every receipt for anything I have ever done to my Civic). At the local Honda Dealer, I got the Timing Belt, Serpentine Belt, Water Pump, and Valve cover gasket (along with a couple of motor mounts) replaced on January 9, 2011 @ 117,159 miles.

i don't see the point in going around replacing parts like an alternator randomly if they are still working
Yea, I do agree. I just have a feeling that my wife will get stranded one more time and that will mark the end of my Civic :-(.

I am actually now really worried about the Transmission. All of the reviews and posts I see about the 2001 Civic transmission are not good.

Would there happen to be a transmission "service" I can do to postpone or avoid failure?
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sf170089
Would there happen to be a transmission "service" I can do to postpone or avoid failure?
regular fluid changes are the only service needed, always use OEM honda fluid, these transmission do not tend to like aftermarket fluids,

i wouldn't worry about it as long as you are changing the fluid on a regular basis....no flushing, just drain and fill is what honda recomends....i am assuming this is an automatic?

you timing belt is due to be changed within the next year as it is approaching the 7 year recommended interval,

other then that it seems like you are doing fine,

air filter?....pcv valve lately?
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

my original alternator lasted 210K miles. I wish i had changed it at 209K, I talked about it but never did it.
other than that I've changed out the whole front suspension at 200K, pcv valve, timing belt/water pump and tensioner, and one bad O2 sensor. As long as you keep it tuned and maintained with fluid changes sound like you are doing OK. keep good ATF in it dont beat up on it.
Old 01-17-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sf170089

My wife is getting a bit fed up with our 2001 Civic LX (~160K). A few months ago, the radiator cracked in it and stranded her at work. Just last week, she got stuck at work again and we found a crack in the exhaust manifold ..

she wants to get rid of it. I think I can hold her off one more time????
Are you out of your mind...160 K is enough. Get her a new car before you regret what happens. If it was your piece of junk, then fine..but not the wife.

Get rid of it while it is still running to someone who can do his own work. Be honest and let it go at a good deal for them. Karma is real...

Get her a new Honda Fit if money is tight.
Old 01-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

But, she wants to get rid of it.
If you want sammiches, you gotta keep mama happy.

I got my GF out of an 01 Saturn with 170k and put her in a much more reliable 07 Fit with 200k......At least I don't have to worry about it as much as I was worried about the Saturn taking a crap and leaving her stranded.
Old 01-18-2017
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
If you want sammiches, you gotta keep mama happy.

I got my GF out of an 01 Saturn with 170k and put her in a much more reliable 07 Fit with 200k......At least I don't have to worry about it as much as I was worried about the Saturn taking a crap and leaving her stranded.
Keep saying you are my hero and you sure know how to handle women. Mine told me she wasn't driving a Fit and it was brand new. Guess I could have not told her like I did the Fridge but that one was moved out in my shop when the delivery man brought the two door model with the roll out bottom freezer that she went out and got a week later..
Old 01-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Keep saying you are my hero and you sure know how to handle women.
I got 99 Problems.....

(NSFW)
Old 01-18-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for all of the responses guys!

Are you out of your mind...160 K is enough. Get her a new car before you regret what happens. If it was your piece of junk, then fine..but not the wife.

Get her a new Honda Fit if money is tight.
I think that is the way we are going. She loves the 2017 Civic, but they are a bit pricey (in my area, ~ $20K + TT&F for the base model). We test drove both the Civic and the Fit. The Civic really is nice, but I am also good with the Fit.

The 2001 Civic is my car. I drove it from 2002 - 2013. The more we talk, the more it looks like we are getting a new car. I am pushing for the fit, but I am sure it will end up being the Civic.

A wise man once said, "If you want sammiches, you gotta keep mama happy."

But, I'm keeping my 2001 Civic. It hit 15 years this month. I would really like to drive it for another ~40K to 200,000.

Get rid of it while it is still running to someone who can do his own work. Be honest and let it go at a good deal for them. Karma is real...
Yea, I will. But, I really hate dealing with private transactions. I do not do Craigs List or any of that type of thing. So, I will take it to Car Max. I know they low-ball, but I would rather sell it to them "free and clear" than have to worry about meeting someone and dealing with any fallout over a "bad deal."