7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air filter and etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
Air filter and etc

Is it normal, even though i change my engine air filter often, that dust just get in the box and sticks to the plastic?

When dirt and etc gets through the filter and some goes in that hole, when you change the oil, does some of that crap gets flushed out with the draining of the oil? Or it stays inside the engine forever?

Thx.
Old 11-19-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air filter and etc

A dirty filter filters out fine particles better than a new clean filter.

Many filters can let quite large particles pass through, and some of the gaskets let unfiltered air sneak around the edges.
Old 11-20-2016
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

Also it depends on if you are constantly driving through a dust bowl or not.... I mean they can only work so well at that point.
Old 11-28-2016
gts
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gts has a spectacular aura aboutgts has a spectacular aura about

Not to hi-jack the OP's thread/ question but are some air filters (mfg's) considered to be better than others?
Old 11-28-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gts
Not to hi-jack the OP's thread/ question but are some air filters (mfg's) considered to be better than others?
Certainly!
Old 11-28-2016
gts
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gts has a spectacular aura aboutgts has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ezone
Certainly!
Ok now that we've established that..... LOL
So which ones are considered the better ones?
(For the engine bay - not the cabin filters, and/ or the evap filter - though info on the better ones for those would be appreciated too)

Last edited by gts; 11-28-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2016

Brands? I don't have suggestions for you...... I use OE.

Just compare any aftermarket filter offering against a genuine Honda filter, holding in your hands, and side by side.

Lesser filters use filter media (element) that lets bigger particles pass through, the better ones use a thick fabric-like element instead of paper

I've seen various problems with the gaskets around the edges of many cheap filters, they might be too thin to seal up when the air box is closed or the gasket gets distorted/comes off and can't seal.
Old 11-29-2016
Registered!!

OneJzSupra is an unknown quantity at this point

I just made my own setup using a K&N POD filter and extra 2.5" intercooler piping I had sitting around from my supra.
Old 12-02-2016
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kristoliquid
Is it normal, even though i change my engine air filter often, that dust just get in the box and sticks to the plastic?

When dirt and etc gets through the filter and some goes in that hole, when you change the oil, does some of that crap gets flushed out with the draining of the oil? Or it stays inside the engine forever?

Thx.

I recommend you do away with the factory air intake (very restrictive) and go with a short ram air system. This is what I have on my 02 EX coupe, K&N short ram air filter with a dry charger on it (it's off in the picture). It keeps water off your intake filter when it rains as well as bugs, dust etc. It will extend the life of your filter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	K&N filter cover.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	89296   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC header installed 2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	89297  

Last edited by SammySC; 12-02-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2016
Registered!!

SammySC has a spectacular aura aboutSammySC has a spectacular aura about

I finally got around to installing the dry charger on my K&N filter. I noticed a small drop of water inside the filter as I took it off. Dried it and installed the dry charger. I only plan to use this during the winter or on rainy days, I don't want to restrict the air flow. Attached is a picture of how it looks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	89299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.JPG
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	89300