Auto Transmission failures Post your issues with auto transmission failures here. 01-03 have had a high failure rates

Transmission problem LX 2001 honda CIVIC

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Louis wayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission problem LX 2001 honda CIVIC

hi everybody let me introduce by myself, i'm louis from mexico and i have a 7th generation honda civic.

my problem is, i get P0730 code (incorrect gear ratio) when i put my car in D4/D3 the transmission start to move, but is like slip 1st gear, and next to this get the 2nd gear and the car start to move forward. after this if i stop in a corner o whatever (the car getting to the 1st gear again) but after this my car is doesnt move anymore.

the think is, if i reset the pcm (removing the fuse EFI PCM and backup from the fuse box in the engine bay) the car start to move again with the same condition. if i dont remove fuses the car can not move backward even forward.

somebody know about this topic?
Old 11-14-2016
Registered!!

Re: Transmission problem LX 2001 honda CIVIC

help pleaseee!!!!
Old 11-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

P0730....I'll guess it is going to need a transmission...overhaul/rebuild or replace.
Your symptom description tells me it's not an electronic problem, it's a real transmission problem.
Old 11-14-2016
Registered!!

yes but the wear thing is, why if i reset computer, the car can move again.??
if it is a mechanical problem the AT can not move again no?
Old 11-14-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Possibility: Problem is 3rd gear clutch pack bad (one of the typical failures)...... and after a fault code sets the computer puts the trans in a default limp-home mode, which may be 3rd gear, which doesn't work because it has a bad clutch pack.
Disconnect battery, fault code is erased, trans will now attempt to start in 1st gear until the fault code sets again.

Another typical issue is the internal filter gets clogged up with debris (from a failure or wear) as you drive, then it feels like it went to neutral and won't move, then after you shut the engine off the debris falls away from the filter, then it will go into gear again so you begin driving, then as you drive the debris is sucked into the filter again and the trans feels like neutral again and it won't move.

I can't tell you what exactly has happened with your particular transmission problem, but a P0730 is normally a 'code of death', the ones I have dealt with have been caused by an internal trans problem.
Sometimes a car that set this code can be scary to drive, it might try to downshift at highway speed and throw you into the windshield, or it might decide to go to neutral in the middle of a busy intersection. Sometimes there is little clue anything else is wrong....for a short while.
Old 11-15-2016
Registered!!

thank you very much for your help, i have to go at the shop to check it.

regards!!