7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Question about the Clutch! My first manual car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jstasik97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about the Clutch! My first manual car!

Hey guys! Newbie (Joe) here. I got my first manual car yesterday! (Civic LX Special Edition Coupe) And i'm starting to drive it a little smoother! I have a question though...
When starting off (While i'm still learning) is it bad that I hold the clutch in for a second after im moving? (
Example; I'm stopped, Push the clutch down, and put it in first. Then I release the clutch to a little before the biting point. Then I give it gas, and until i get going a few miles per hour I hold the clutch at biting point (like two seconds after biting) and then I can let it the rest out a second or two later.
Or else if I just let the clutch all the way out right after biting, then the car gets all jumpy for a second until I get going.

Does doing this do major damage to my clutch? I'm sure i'll get quicker with it in a few days though, just worrying about for the next few days. Thanks!!
Old 09-22-2016
Registered!!

RustyShackle will become famous soon enough
Re: Question about the Clutch! My first manual car!

Ideally you should be off the clutch as quick and smooth as possible - which comes with practice.

4 seconds is a long time to be riding the clutch to get moving from a stop. As soon as the clutch starts to engage you should be on the gas while smoothly letting out the clutch.

All the extra time you spend with the clutch partially engaged wears it out more quickly.
Old 09-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

what you are doing is called "riding the clutch" and it should be done as little as possible, every time you do that you are wearing the clutch ever so slightly, you will get better with practice, and the amount you ride it should decrease,
Old 09-23-2016
Registered!!

Edit

Last edited by jstasik97; 09-23-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
what you are doing is called "riding the clutch" and it should be done as little as possible, every time you do that you are wearing the clutch ever so slightly, you will get better with practice, and the amount you ride it should decrease,
Okay, thanks! But will doing this for a few days until i get the hang of it be horrible? I'm just scared that for a few days until i get the hang of it, ill destroy my clutch lol
Old 09-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jstasik97
Okay, thanks! But will doing this for a few days until i get the hang of it be horrible? I'm just scared that for a few days until i get the hang of it, ill destroy my clutch lol
it's not ideal, but i wouldn't say its horrible, what you are describing is pretty much normal for anybody learning a manual,

if you destroy a clutch in a few days or a week doing what you describe, then that clutch was already destroyed to begin with,

you just need to get the feel of it,

the faster you get the clutch fully engaged (foot off the pedal) the better it is for the clutch,

revving the engine at lets say 5,000 RPM and riding the clutch half way out for 30 seconds or a minute would be horrible
Old 09-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mikey1

revving the engine at lets say 5,000 RPM and riding the clutch half way out for 30 seconds or a minute would be horrible
I've seen people do this going reverse on an incline, revs super high and then you get that burnt brakes/clutch smell lol