7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help diagnosing my A/C that is not turning on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jackoncruzpr is an unknown quantity at this point
Help diagnosing my A/C that is not turning on.

Car in question is a 02 Civic. The light at the control turns green, A/C compressor does not engage. This is what I have tried and checked.

1. I confirmed that the relay is good. I removed the relay and applied 12V and ground to the coil ( two smaller terminals ) and it clicks off and on.

2. I removed the relay and jumpered the two large connectors to apply 12v to the compressor line and it engages. Cold air comes out of vents with car running.

3. I put relay back in the fuse / relay box and probed the coil. With the A/C on at the control there is no ground signal going to the relay coil to engage it and send the 12V to the compressor.

Also. I noticed that the engine cooling fans do not turn on. Can this be the low pressure switch? Anyone have a schematic I can look at. or guide me where to go from here?
Old 08-20-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help diagnosing my A/C that is not turning on.

Backprobe the wiring at the AC pressure switch......(wiring connected to switch)
Is there ground on both sides of it? Is there 5v on both sides of it?
One 5v and one ground?

Ohm check the thermal protector. Should be continuity.

Also, search this forum. I've replied to about 3000 posts covering most of the common AC problems.

Last edited by ezone; 08-20-2016 at 10:35 AM. Reason: nvm
Old 08-20-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Backprobe the wiring at the AC pressure switch......(wiring connected to switch)
Is there ground on both sides of it? Is there 5v on both sides of it?
One 5v and one ground?

Ohm check the thermal protector. Should be continuity.

Also, search this forum. I've replied to about 3000 posts covering most of the common AC problems.
Thanks. Yeah, I looked at some threads but issues seen werent exactly like the ones I am having.

I'll have to get back with you about the pressure switch. Car is being used right now.

The thermal protector is OK since I can manually get the compressor to turn on by jumping the pins at the relay.

So when the A/C button is engaged at the Heater / A/C Control Panel it sends a ground to the low pressure switch which in turn talks to the MPU?

Would this also explain why the fans dont turn on as well?
Old 08-20-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The thermal protector is OK since I can manually get the compressor to turn on by jumping the pins at the relay.
Incorrect assumption. See a wiring diagram for the system on 02-05 cars.
So when the A/C button is engaged at the Heater / A/C Control Panel it sends a ground to the low pressure switch which in turn talks to the MPU?
Yes, and more
Would this also explain why the fans dont turn on as well?
Depends.

The PCM controls the clutch relay and the radiator fans. If the PCM never sees an AC request it won't turn the clutch nor fans on. There are several possible reasons the PCM may not see that request.
Old 08-20-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Incorrect assumption. See a wiring diagram for the system on 02-05 cars.
Yes, and moreDepends.

The PCM controls the clutch relay and the radiator fans. If the PCM never sees an AC request it won't turn the clutch nor fans on. There are several possible reasons the PCM may not see that request.

You are right. I was looking at a diagram for a 01.

So I disconnect the 3 pin connector and check for continuity on the 2 pins that do not lead into the compressor coil that should tell me if its the thermal protector or not.

So in my case I think 3 situations can play out.

1. I genuinely am low on pressure

2. Bad low pressure switch

3. Bad thermal protector

I'll update later with my findings

Last edited by jackoncruzpr; 08-20-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-20-2016
Registered!!

tmarron0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious but did you check for freon? I thought the clutch wont engage if it has no charge on it. I may be wrong though
Old 08-20-2016

Originally Posted by jackoncruzpr
You are right. I was looking at a diagram for a 01.

So I disconnect the 3 pin connector and check for continuity on the 2 pins that do not lead into the compressor coil that should tell me if its the thermal protector or not.
Right.
2 outer pins are for the thermal protector.
Center pin is for the clutch field coil.
1. I genuinely am low on pressure
But you said it got cold.
If pressure was low, the pressure switch would be open.
Test it.
2. Bad low pressure switch
See above

3. Bad thermal protector
Test, see above

Remember the part where I mentioned checking for 5v or ground? This is quite important info for the diagnosis.

(I'm all about accurate diag, that's where I make my money.)

Got any other weird electrical issues happening in the car?

Originally Posted by tmarron0
Just curious but did you check for freon? I thought the clutch wont engage if it has no charge on it. I may be wrong though
He said it got cold when jumped, so I assumed it has enough freon to at least operate if it can do that.
Old 08-28-2016
Registered!!

well I finally got access to the car. first thing I did was to test the thermal protector and found to be no continuity there.

Ordering one..........will put on and update from there
Old 08-30-2016
Registered!!

Tman is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having a similar issue I'm having trouble finding the thermal protector. Where is it located?
Old 08-30-2016

Originally Posted by Tman
I'm having a similar issue I'm having trouble finding the thermal protector. Where is it located?
On the compressor.
Old 08-30-2016
Registered!!

Tman is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks I'll check it tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

New Thermal protector fixed my issue. I replaced it without having to remove the PS pump or alternator but it was a bitch. You have to get to it from the side and underneath the front clip. Limited space between the subframe.

You can test the termal protector without having to get to the connector attached to the side of the radiator shroud.

There is a set of wires running inside and underneath the core support. Follow the thermal protector connector up on top.

Remove the clips to give you more access and peel back the tape. You want to check for continuity between the two smaller wires of the 3 in that bundle. I used some safety pin needles to pierce through the the center of the plastic sheath and then used my cheapo harbor freight DMM to check for continuity.
Old 09-04-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tman

You can test the thermal protector without having to get to the connector attached to the side of the radiator shroud.

There is a set of wires running inside and underneath the core support. Follow the thermal protector connector up on top.

Remove the clips to give you more access and peel back the tape. You want to check for continuity between the two smaller wires of the 3 in that bundle. I used some safety pin needles to pierce through the the center of the plastic sheath and then used my cheapo harbor freight DMM to check for continuity.