7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tie rod end nut, and bolt stripped at the buttom tip

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
novice121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Tie rod end nut, and bolt stripped at the buttom tip

Hi guys. I was changing all 4 struts on my 2001 Civic LX, and everything went fine until the last one (front passenger side).

The front driver side tie rod end was easy to pop out with penetrating oil spray, and a few taps on the side of the strut assembly, and the nut that I lowered to be flat with the bottom of the tie rod end threads, and hammered that up using a piece of 2x4 in between. It popped out easy, and the strut assembly was changed.

With the front passenger side, it wasn't popping out no matter how long I tapped it up, or moved the wheel, and strut assembly to see if it help.

Finally, on a frustrated attempt, I took the nut out , and hammered at the base of the threads This messed with the threads enough so that the nut wouldn't go back in by hand, so on an even more frustrated attempt I tried using an impact gun (battery, not pneumatic) to force that nut back in, and damaged the nut a little as well (not all the way through).

The threads on the tie rod end are damaged below the hole for the cutter pin, so I was thinking of filing those first 3 threads maybe, and flip the nut to try and get it in, or buy another nut of the same size would be better?

Thanks for any help.

This is the damaged nut. I only messed up the threads almost halfway.

PS: Can I use this type of tie rod puller on my Civic 01 LX? It looks like it might damage the boot using it to pry up this way, but not sure:

Last edited by novice121; 08-14-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Tie rod end nut, and bolt stripped at the buttom tip

Just buy another tie rod end. You don't want to compromise how well it is secured.

I prefer these for tie rod end removal because they don't damage the boot. Pickle forks are good if you don't plan to reuse.

Old 08-15-2016
GOT SAND?

Dooner is an unknown quantity at this point

X2. Use a pickle fork to pop the tie rod end loose. Be gentle, not too much force and you should have no problem. I would replace the tie rod ends while you're in there, chances are they're shot anyways unless they've been replaced recently. New tie rod ends should come with a new cotter pin & nut.
Old 08-17-2016
Registered!!

novice121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolNat
Just buy another tie rod end. You don't want to compromise how well it is secured.

I prefer these for tie rod end removal because they don't damage the boot. Pickle forks are good if you don't plan to reuse.

Hey, thanks for that pic, that's exactly what I got.

I ended up going to Autozone the next day, and borrowed the that same tie rod puller, plus a very nic tap and die set. They were both free to borrow actually. I used the tap and die set to fix the stripped bolt, and nut, and finally changed that strut properly.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 08-18-2016
Registered!!

tmarron0 is an unknown quantity at this point

I never thought about that tool. I always use the fork and a hammer to break it loose. I will try that next time. Seems to be safer for the boot