7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2002 Civic EX Vtec: Correct O2 sensor replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic EX Vtec: Correct O2 sensor replacement?

We had the transmission rebuilt by a local transmission shop at about 130k miles. In the process, one of their guys apparently removed the O2 sensor cable like a gorilla and pulled a bunch of wires out, shorting them, then started the car back up that way and blew that circuit in the computer too.

That shop has been teetering on the bring of going out of business anyway, because the owner's brother was apparently a junkie and was robbing them blind on the side. So the manager who handled this is no longer there and we're having to get this corrected by our own mechanic.

Anyway, the transmission place replaced the O2 sensor and we had to replace the computer, but ever since, it's been stalling when I start it, when it's already warm ( I often drive about 50 feet, it stalls and I have to floor it to get it moving again ), and getting 5 mpg less, indicating that the O2 sensor that they replaced it with, may not be the correct one, or we have an open or misconfigured wire, from when they had to fix the wiring.

But this is supposed to be the O2 sensor in the front, on the exhaust manifold?

What's the correct replacement for that, in case they put in the wrong one, please?
Old 08-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2002 Civic EX Vtec: Correct O2 sensor replacement?

ever since, it's been stalling when I start it, when it's already warm ( I often drive about 50 feet, it stalls and I have to floor it to get it moving again ), and getting 5 mpg less,
First, disconnect the sensor in question and drive it at least long enough to see if it quits stalling or falling on its face.
That could at least let you know whether or not the symptom is in fact related to the sensor.

Yes it will turn on the check engine light and set codes for the unplugged sensor. Ignore that for testing purposes and drive it until you know for sure the symptom is gone.

Check for fault codes before you do this though, I want to know if there's any useful info there before you cause more codes.

AND I've seen old (usually original) sensors cause this symptom, so it may still have the original sensor in place. Slide under and see what sort of mess its wiring is in.
But this is supposed to be the O2 sensor in the front, on the exhaust manifold?
An EX should have the primary sensor located under the engine, on the pipe leading to the catalytic converter.

As for the sensor..... Any clue what brand name was on the original sensor? What brand is in there now?

Got a check engine light on? Fault codes?

Honda dealer primary O2 sensor is p/n 36531-PLR-A01

You can cross reference that number in the Denso guide here: http://www.impocali.com/images/pdf/C..._Reference.pdf

On page 468 it shows DENSO# 234-4122 as the match for that Honda part number.
Plug that part number into google shopping or Amazon and see what you get.

IF the original was NTK brand, use that companys online lookup to find their correct part number.

Last edited by ezone; 08-10-2016 at 08:02 PM.