7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sagging Driver's Door

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light
Sagging Driver's Door

I guess I need to buy the OEM hinge ($20) for the lower hinge on the driver's door as it is the one with movement and causes the door to sag and hit the striker lower than normal. Is it possible to replace the lower hinge without removing the front quarter panel or front inner fenderwell liner?

The 2 bolts on the door side look accessible enough. It is the 2 bolts on the
chassis side"><span style=chassis side" /> chassis side">chassis side
that look difficult to access.

No local store seems to have a pin and bushing kit for this vehicle.

Anyone done this repair before and could provide advice?

I plan to replace the door checker as well and have done those before.
Old 05-24-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Sagging Driver's Door

Extensions and swivels are your friend, I've swapped doors on a 6th gen and few other vehicles but never a 7th gen.
Old 06-27-2016
Registered!!

NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I replaced the lower driver door hinge to fix the sagging door. The cost was around $35 for the OEM part. Did not have to remove all the bumper cover to access the front quarter panel bolt under the side of headlight. Did have to remove quarter panel and just moved the splash shield out of the way. Rustproofed while in there. Aligning the door was tricky after loosening the both hinges. Took 2 people and trial and error several times.

A new door checker would be nice now. All 4 are loose after 13 years. I took it out to see if I could repair as per the Youtube vid but quickly decided not. I probably will get new at least for the driver's door.
Old 06-27-2016

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NDNV
I replaced the lower driver door hinge to fix the sagging door. The cost was around $35 for the OEM part. Did not have to remove all the bumper cover to access the front quarter panel bolt under the side of headlight. Did have to remove quarter panel and just moved the splash shield out of the way. Rustproofed while in there. Aligning the door was tricky after loosening the both hinges. Took 2 people and trial and error several times.

A new door checker would be nice now. All 4 are loose after 13 years. I took it out to see if I could repair as per the Youtube vid but quickly decided not. I probably will get new at least for the driver's door.
Sounds like a plan dude
Good idea to rustproof while you're in there, did you have a bunch of leaves and stuff jammed in there? Seen that a few times.
And yeah the alignment usually takes a couple tries, the next time you do it you'll find it easier.
Old 06-27-2016
Registered!!

Not much crud and not much rust in there.
When changing the air filter a few weeks ago, I was surprised to find a handful of those helicopter seeds in the air box and filter. Had to use a shopvac. Funny as I read recently of a civic owner having no power in his car and come to find he had a bunch of these seeds in there clogging his airflow. Problem solved.
Old 06-27-2016

Haha, yeah I've seen airboxes totally stuffed full of dog food to the point where the car won't even start. Mice are evil.