7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2004 acura EL priemum starts fine sometimes then doesn't start sometimes

Old 05-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tortoise is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 acura EL priemum starts fine sometimes then doesn't start sometimes

Hello having some starting issues with my 2004 acura El premium Canadian model. Fancy civic

Sometime it starts right up no problems then sometimes it wont start it just cranks over but won't fire up it will take a few key turns to get it too start when it dose that then it runs rough for 2 sec then it's fine like nothing happened or was wrong.

It wouldn't start 4 times after i shut the car off today when i was out took about 3 or 5 key turn to make the car start up after but then sometimes it would just start up like their was no starting problem.

Then i was at the gas station filling up took about 10 mins to getting the car to start after i put gas into it would just crank over it would not firing up then bam it started went home shut the car off tryed to restart it it just started up no problem even know 5 mins ago it wouldn't start at the gas station?

Iv be doing some research and found that few acuras that are doing this have bad cranked soders in the relay under stearing wheel that control the fuel pump.

Could this relay be causing my starting problem to not start sometime then the car starts just fine sometimes & is the relay in the same spot as the acura cl under the stearing wheel or is it in a different spot cause its a 2004 acura el premium Canadian model.

i cant seem to find the relay under the dash!

would like to hear what what people think of this problem
Old 05-23-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2004 acura EL priemum starts fine sometimes then doesn't start sometimes

I had a similiar issue with a different car that was fuel pump related. Fuel pump wouldn't hold its prime. I would have to cycle the key a few times to get it started (only after the car had been sitting).

Do you have fuel pressure at the rail?
Old 05-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

i cant seem to find the relay under the dash!
Doesn't have one.

On a Civic, there are several relays behind the glovebox, tip it out like you were going to replace the cabin filters and you'll see them.
You'll probably need a real good wiring diagram to identify what each of the several relays are for (I.D. relays by their wire colors).
Main relay 1,
Main relay 2
A/F sensor heater relay
B/U light relay

If you suspect a fuel pressure problem, it would be wise to use a fuel pressure gauge to prove it......... or a test light to prove the pump isn't getting powered up. Test, don't guess.

Prove there's a problem, before buying expensive parts it may not need at all, and low quality parts from parts store chains open on Sunday that are less reliable than the original parts with a ton of miles on them LOL

Last edited by ezone; 05-23-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I had a similiar issue with a different car that was fuel pump related. Fuel pump wouldn't hold its prime. I would have to cycle the key a few times to get it started (only after the car had been sitting).

Do you have fuel pressure at the rail?
ill have to check pressure. But wouldn't it do everytime not intermittent starting. Today it has been good started every time i went out today. It is alot cooler out today maybe that has somthing to do with it.

also throwing a code for Po118 engine coolant temperature circuit. I see it go up and down befor at the redlight or in the drive way. But dont think that would cause it unless its say its too hot to start or somthing.
Old 05-23-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Doesn't have one.

There are several relays behind the glovebox, tip it out like you were going to replace the cabin filters and you'll see them.
You'll probably need a real good wiring diagram to identify what each of the several relays are for (I.D. relays by their wire colors).
Main relay 1,
Main relay 2
A/F sensor heater relay
B/U light relay

If you suspect a fuel pressure problem, it would be wise to use a fuel pressure gauge to prove it......... or a test light to prove the pump isn't getting powered up. Test, don't guess.

Prove there's a problem, before buying expensive parts it may not need at all, and low quality parts from parts store chains open on Sunday that are less reliable than the original parts with a ton of miles on them LOL
ok ill check the fuel pressure. I do hear the fuel pump turning on and off befor i turn the key. The car didnt have a no start problem today started every time today. It is alot cooler today though
Old 05-23-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

also throwing a code for Po118 engine coolant temperature circuit. I see it go up and down befor at the redlight or in the drive way. But dont think that would cause it unless its say its too hot to start or somthing.
HOLD IT RIGHT THERE

Damn, tell us these things in the first post. This is your problem. ALL of the problem. Fix this.
Old 05-23-2016
Registered!!

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE

Damn, tell us these things in the first post. This is your problem. ALL of the problem. Fix this.
I just had my buddie run the coder about 25 mins ago so didnt know. i only had the car for 2 weeks. Ill have to get a replacement is this the part right by the egr valve
Old 05-23-2016

Yeah that sensor not only tells the computer (PCM) how hot it is (or lies about it) it is also what you read on the temp gauge on the dash (it reads data from the PCM, not directly from the sensor).

The PCM needs that sensor to be dead nuts accurate in order to get the fuel injected quantity correct. Any inaccuracy can lead to your symptoms.
Old 05-23-2016
Registered!!

Yeah that sensor not only tells the computer (PCM) how hot it is (or lies about it) it is also what you read on the temp gauge on the dash (it reads data from the PCM, not directly from the sensor).

The PCM needs that sensor to be dead nuts accurate in order to get the fuel injected quantity correct. Any inaccuracy can lead to your symptoms.
So both codes buddie forgot one the one is p0118 and p0128 2x he said. I just got this information 2 mins ago
Old 05-23-2016

Fix the P0118 problem first.
Then erase codes and see what happens.
Reason: P0128 can be caused by the P0118.
Old 05-23-2016

is this the part right by the egr valve
Which engine does it have?
Old 05-23-2016
Registered!!

Which engine does it have?
Its the 1.7 singl cam none vtec 126 hp
Old 05-23-2016

Then the sensor is right behind the top radiator hose fitting on the engine. You can see the hex of the sensor just above my finger here in this pic
Name:  E9Yk3SN.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  788.5 KB
Old 05-23-2016
Registered!!

Then the sensor is right behind the top radiator hose fitting on the engine. You can see the hex of the sensor just above my finger here in this pic
ok right where i thought heres my picture what is this part name or the part number if you know. Ill get a replacement for it and report back if this fixes this starting problem.
Old 05-23-2016

Usually ECT sensor, and be able to point it out in a parts catalog yourself if they can't find it.

I only have a catalog for US Hondas, not Canadian Acura.
Check around for online dealer parts catalogs or visit your local parts stores?
Old 05-23-2016
Registered!!

Usually ECT sensor, and be able to point it out in a parts catalog yourself if they can't find it.

I only have a catalog for US Hondas, not Canadian Acura.
Check around for online dealer parts catalogs or visit your local parts stores?
Ok sweet thanks alot for the help iv highly appreciated it! Ill report back when i get a replacement tomrrow and see how it gose and get the codes cleared.

thanks aging!
Old 05-23-2016

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/

Does not list an Acura EL??

EDIT: Durr, that's not a Canadian site LOL
Old 05-24-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

The part # should be the same as the Civic.

So cold starts had no problem starting and when at operating temp, that's when you had hard turning-over?
Old 05-24-2016

Civic version, Canadian
Part #17
Linkyclick
http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsLi...ine&illid=5757
Old 05-24-2016
Registered!!

Civic version, Canadian
Part #17
Linkyclick
http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsLi...ine&illid=5757
Ok so i got a replacement one installed it. Just gotta wait too see if it still gonna do it
Old 05-24-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
The part # should be the same as the Civic.

So cold starts had no problem starting and when at operating temp, that's when you had hard turning-over?
Yeah every time i left the house it would be fine but if i stop somewhere and tryed to re start it would do it but not every single time sometimes here and their it would. Been doing it alot more since its getting hot here in Canada Ontario. I only had the car for 2 weeks
Old 06-07-2016
Registered!!

Ok so it been 2 weeks since i replaced the ect sensor, the car has started up every time hot or cold since i replace the sensor.
thanks for the help!

problem solved!
Old 06-08-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for posting a follow-up solution. I hate open-ended posts.