7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Clutch not disengaging

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j.stoltz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Clutch not disengaging

Originally Posted by bsmiley
How about some clear tubing from a hardware store?
Tried that too.. I need some tubing that will swallow this damn slave cylinder whole.
Old 04-12-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
During vacuum bleeding, air can always be pulled in around the threads of the bleeder screw.
I'm gonna try teflon tape around the threads and see if that helps, once I get rid of the leaking.

On a side note, I put the new master on found out there's a leak.

After pushing the clutch fork against the slave cylinder, I heard what seemed to be liquid shooting out somewhere along the line. Looked at the master cylinder and fluid was shooting out of the RETAINING CLIP. So I hammered that bitch of a clip in as far as it would go, and it still shoots liquid.

I'm gonna put some threadlocker on it, that'll keep it sealed!
Old 04-12-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the rubber seal under that fitting is damaged. It's easy to do, i usually order an extra whenever I have to replace a master.
Old 04-12-2016
Registered!!

Yeah it was too small, I had to use a washer instead of the o-ring it came with.
Old 04-12-2016
Registered!!

Sounds like the rubber seal under that fitting is damaged. It's easy to do, i usually order an extra whenever I have to replace a master.
Would it make a difference if I just pressed on the master cylinder pushrod by hand? everything is hooked up. This way I can avoid having to mount it back to the firewall till I know it's bleeding.
Old 04-12-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That would be about the same as bench bleeding.
Did you bench bleed it already?
Old 04-12-2016
Registered!!

That would be about the same as bench bleeding.
Did you bench bleed it already?
Haven't done bench bleeding yet. I've watched videos on how to bench bleed a master cylinder for brakes, but couldn't find anything helpful on a clutch.
Old 04-12-2016

It's the same principle, done for the same reason.
Old 04-13-2016
Registered!!

Would this be the right setup?

Old 04-13-2016

Originally Posted by j.stoltz
Would this be the right setup?

That looks about like how I do it.
Old 04-13-2016
Registered!!

That looks about like how I do it.
Check this out..

Any suggestions on how I could seal this up?
Old 04-13-2016

The thing was designed so you do not disassemble the fitting from the line,
You were supposed to pull the retaining clip out to let the fitting lift up out of the master cylinder, leaving the line and fitting together in the car.

I've never taken the fitting off of the line.
IDK what to do next.

I know I've trashed the rubber seal under the fitting while attempting to reassemble the thing in the car....about every other job I ruin at least one seal LOL. I have at least one spare in my toolbox.
Old 04-13-2016
Registered!!

The thing was designed so you do not disassemble the fitting from the line,
You were supposed to pull the retaining clip out to let the fitting lift up out of the master cylinder, leaving the line and fitting together in the car.

I've never taken the fitting off of the line.
IDK what to do next.

I know I've trashed the rubber seal under the fitting while attempting to reassemble the thing in the car....about every other job I ruin at least one seal LOL. I have at least one spare in my toolbox.
That's a poor design if you ask me. The new master should come with a retaining clip and fitting to guarantee a fit. The stock fitting is made of plastic, seriously Honda couldn't put a couple bucks into a metal one? Lol

Guess I'll try some JB water weld to seal it up, seems like the most logical thing to do unless I can buy a fitting and retaining clip by itself.
Old 04-13-2016

unless I can buy a fitting and retaining clip by itself.
can do!

get a spare seal too

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...LINDER+%281%29
Old 04-13-2016
Registered!!

You're kidding, ha! Thank you man, that just saved me a lot of searching.
Old 04-20-2016
Registered!!

Parts finally came in! I got a few things, two of them being an o ring for the master cylinder and the fitting as well.. Here's a dumb question, where would the o ring sit on the fitting: 1, 2, or 3?

Old 04-20-2016

Name:  IMG_8276_zpsdpd0mvm3.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  132.7 KB

It's a flat rubber ring, right? It would go into the hole of the master cylinder first, so that's #3.
Your fitting goes into the hole next, so it sits on top of that ring.
The hairpin clip goes into the slot #2 (where all the chew marks are)

Honda also shows a special (somewhat expensive) silicone grease in this bulletin used to lube the ring and for the squeak issue that can come from the swivel fitting. See this PDF
Old 04-20-2016
Registered!!

It's a flat rubber ring, right? It would go into the hole of the master cylinder first, so that's #3.
Your fitting goes into the hole next, so it sits on top of that ring.
The hairpin clip goes into the slot #2 (where all the chew marks are)

Honda also shows a special (somewhat expensive) silicone grease in this bulletin used to lube the ring and for the squeak issue that can come from the swivel fitting. See this PDF
Yeah it's a flat rubber ring, not an o ring as I said earlier.. That must explain why fluid was shooting out of the retaining clip when I was bench bleeding it earlier

I'm gonna seal that up properly and will be back with an update!
Old 04-21-2016
Registered!!

Well I got the new seal onto the plastic fitting, did a bench bleed and everything worked fine. Once I got the master cylinder mounted to the firewall and the clutch line fit, I go to press on the clutch fork to release any bubbles in the line, and fluid shoots out of where the retaining clip is.. I'm wondering how this is possible with the new seal, is the clutch line clogged somewhere?
Old 04-21-2016

Pressure leak
Seems like fluid would have to get past the seal in order to reach the hairpin clip section of the fitting-- through damaged seal or maybe scratch/gouge in the metal, or maybe fitting isn't held all the way down in its hole,

Maybe somehow the fitting got cracked or the hairpin isn't original (replaced with coat hanger wire?)

IDK. I can't see it from here, all I can do is guess.
Old 04-21-2016
Registered!!

Pressure leak
Seems like fluid would have to get past the seal in order to reach the hairpin clip section of the fitting-- through damaged seal or maybe scratch/gouge in the metal, or maybe fitting isn't held all the way down in its hole,

Maybe somehow the fitting got cracked or the hairpin isn't original (replaced with coat hanger wire?)

It's possible the fitting isn't flush all the way to the bottom of the cylinder hole. But the seal shouldn't be bad since I just replaced it with the OEM seal.. I know it wouldn't be the clip since I just replaced that too to be sure it wasn't an issue.

I'll check back with an update..
Old 04-21-2016
Registered!!

Pressure leak

That solved the problem man!!! I've got pressure on the pedal now!!
Old 04-21-2016

That solved the problem man!!! I've got pressure on the pedal now!!
Great! What was the problem?
Old 04-22-2016
Registered!!

I checked that seal in the master cylinder when I took the fitting out, and what do you know it wasn't set all the way down in the hole! So I attached it to the fitting instead then reassembled everything. After that there wasn't any fluid coming out where the retaining clip was, so I bled the system with a mityvac knock off and the pedal didn't stick to the floor, for the first time in probably 2 weeks.

Although the pedal is softer than it was before all this, I'm just glad it comes back up without having to pull it. It also has a lot of play, about an inch or two before there's significant pressure. I'm guessing that's because of air in the system or the pedal needs to be adjusted?
Old 04-22-2016

Better look up how to adjust the pedal before you do it. There MUST be some free play (see FSM for spec).....If there is no pedal pushrod free play, the system can hold the clutch partially applied which leads to slippage and short life.
Old 04-25-2016
Registered!!

Ezone, I don't think I've said it, and can't say it enough, but thank you for all the help and advice you've given me through this process of my own screw up. What started with a squeaky clutch ended up with this, but I'm just glad to be on the road again!

I've learned a lot these past couple weeks, and couldn't have done it without your patience and help. You deserve an extra bonus from Honda for seriously knowing your ****, all the way down to a measly little seal. Lol. It's nice to know there are people on here willing to help this much, so thank you again.
Old 04-26-2016

Good to hear it man!

I work for a Honda dealer, not Honda. The only bonus I might get is lube on payday LOL
Old 04-26-2016
Registered!!

civbomb is an unknown quantity at this point

hi I am new to this forum and I was wondering if you could tell me how I can post a new thread? thanks
Old 04-26-2016

Originally Posted by civbomb
hi I am new to this forum and I was wondering if you could tell me how I can post a new thread? thanks

From the FAQ:

How do I find my way around?
When you click on a forum's name, you are taken to the list of threads it contains. A thread is a conversation between members or guests. Each thread starts out as a single post and grows as more individual posts are added by different users. Threads can be rated (?) to show how useful or popular they are and may contain polls (?).
To start a new thread simply click on the 'new thread' button
Old 04-26-2016
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Ezone, I don't think I've said it, and can't say it enough, but thank you for all the help and advice you've given me through this process of my own screw up. What started with a squeaky clutch ended up with this, but I'm just glad to be on the road again!

I've learned a lot these past couple weeks, and couldn't have done it without your patience and help. You deserve an extra bonus from Honda for seriously knowing your ****, all the way down to a measly little seal. Lol. It's nice to know there are people on here willing to help this much, so thank you again.
Thank you ezone! I too have learned a lot from your posts. Do not think they go unread or that they don't help people... I have benefited greatly.
I've been a forum member for 2 years. My wife wants me to replace my little 7th gen, but no way. It runs great, its efficient and thanks to you and others on this forum, I've been able to do everything on my own.
Although I have 2 teenage boys, I don't have a car payment, my insurance and gas are cheap and I have been able to teach my son's to work on cars (they don't realize it yet, they're just helping Dad...)
I have been able to afford to put my money into other things for the family instead of car payments or repair bills...
Thanks for making a difference in my quality of life!

Quick Reply: Clutch not disengaging