7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Learning/Doing Car Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TranTheDoctor is an unknown quantity at this point
Learning/Doing Car Maintenance

Currently own a 2003 Honda Civic LX which as of this posting has 226,000 miles. I got it from a family member for free when it had 197,000.

When I first got it I took it to a shop to get it serviced, to check/change fluids, to inspect and what not, but since then I've been trying to learn and do the maintenance myself.

Things I've been able to do so far:
- Oil and oil filter change.
- Cabin air filter.
- Engine air filter/cleaner.
- Brake pads. (One pad was basically gone so need to change my front rotors since it was gouged and had groves, but doesn't look hard.)

I've also just recently gotten new wheels and tires (off TireRack with tires already mounted and balanced, and put them on myself) since the ones I've had were getting cracked, bald, and just got punctured. Then took it to a shop to get aligned.

And so now I was asking to see what's are next things I should/can try to do myself in terms of getting more technical or increasing difficulty.

Also, trying to maintain this car for as long as possible so anything else I should be doing in terms of maintenance that I should be aware of is good too. And since the car was free and probably doesn't have much value in selling I plan on keeping it as a learning tool and hopefully lead on to learning to do car changes/modifications like ones I've seen on here like steel braid brake lines or a short/cold air intake or something along those lines.
Old 03-10-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Learning/Doing Car Maintenance

Know what age/mileage the timing belt is..... soon.
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

your next priority should be changing your timing belt if you are not sure when it was changed last, although that job might be too complex for you from the sounds of your post (no offense)
Old 03-11-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I were you, there are some places that sells:
1) Owners manual - i got mine from a place in the internet
I got my service manual and owner manual from here:
http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage...q=helms+manual

service manual is steep price

You can also find the Haynes or Chilton manuals in any of the autozone/advance auto parts stores, etc.

having friends that know cars also grat help for a 6-pack and afternoon spent
Old 04-04-2016
Registered!!

sf170089 is an unknown quantity at this point

First, congrats on the nice pick up. A free Civic is never a bad thing :-).

Second, congrats on wanting to learn about your car. I really think you can fix a bunch of things on your Civic. It just takes some patience and a willingness to fail and learn. Do you happen to have a repair history on it? It doesn't sound like it, but I was hoping :-).

I really enjoy working on my car. It can be fun, challenging, and absolutely frustrating at times. But, I love it.

Oddly enough, I never change my own oil. I have found that most times, I can negotiate that as part of a service price or find coupons and it ends up being cheaper than buying the supplies myself.

As others have mentioned, you most likely need a timing belt. I do not think you should do that yourself. But, when you do take it in for service, don't forget to negotiate your "free" oil change :-). In addition, the shop/dealer is usually pretty good at giving you a laundry list of everything else that "needs" to be fixed. That would be a pretty good place to start before starting on other types of "mods."

I think a service manual is a fine idea, but I find that I never use mine anymore. I always go to the internet and videos for information.

If you do decide to change the rotors, be sure to invest in an impact screwdriver (cheap one for $8, nice one for ~ $25). Check out videos on changing rotors. It is straight forward, but you need the right tools.

How are the struts? If you need to change struts, I suggest the Gabriel Ready Mount struts. They are insanely easy to install and you do not need to worry about compressing the springs. (Don't forget to take it in for an alignment if you do this)

You may also want to check out the motor/engine mounts. If they have not been replaced, then they are probably busted or very close to it.

Does it leak any fluid?

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sf170089
Oddly enough, I never change my own oil. I have found that most times, I can negotiate that as part of a service price or find coupons and it ends up being cheaper than buying the supplies myself.

As others have mentioned, you most likely need a timing belt. I do not think you should do that yourself. But, when you do take it in for service, don't forget to negotiate your "free" oil change :-).
Sometimes you get what you pay for. If you are fine with someone putting the cheapest oil and filter they can find in your car go for it. If it is a Honda dealer fine, they will use what they have in stock. If it is a small shop he is going to order whatever is cheapest from his supplier.

If you are wondering how bad cheap oil can be do a Google search for "Dollar General oil lawsuit".
Old 04-05-2016
Registered!!

sf170089 is an unknown quantity at this point

PJB, you are absolutely right. Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear and I should not have made some assumptions.

I do not take my car to "small" shops or those quick-change oil places. I have heard too many horror stories and I simply do not trust them. I go to my local Firestone where the manager is a long-time friend and to the Dealership. I know the Dealer is not a guarantee of good service, but I would hope that even their cheapest oil still meets at least the minimum specifications required by Honda.

So, I guess I do trust my service centers.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-06-2016
Registered!!

Pier7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TranTheDoctor
Currently own a 2003 Honda Civic LX which as of this posting has 226,000 miles. I got it from a family member for free when it had 197,000.

When I first got it I took it to a shop to get it serviced, to check/change fluids, to inspect and what not, but since then I've been trying to learn and do the maintenance myself.

Things I've been able to do so far:
- Oil and oil filter change.
- Cabin air filter.
- Engine air filter/cleaner.
- Brake pads. (One pad was basically gone so need to change my front rotors since it was gouged and had groves, but doesn't look hard.)

I've also just recently gotten new wheels and tires (off TireRack with tires already mounted and balanced, and put them on myself) since the ones I've had were getting cracked, bald, and just got punctured. Then took it to a shop to get aligned.

And so now I was asking to see what's are next things I should/can try to do myself in terms of getting more technical or increasing difficulty.

Also, trying to maintain this car for as long as possible so anything else I should be doing in terms of maintenance that I should be aware of is good too. And since the car was free and probably doesn't have much value in selling I plan on keeping it as a learning tool and hopefully lead on to learning to do car changes/modifications like ones I've seen on here like steel braid brake lines or a short/cold air intake or something along those lines.

First do 5 oil changes quick first oil change at 500 miles, second at 1000 miles third at 1500 miles fourth at 2000 miles and final fifth at 2500 what this quick oil changes will do is flush your engine and it will get clean from any gunk that is built up in your engine. Mechanically if you keep your Honda good you will never get wrong. And also congrats on your new FREE civic. What ever you wanna do one recommendation do one piece at a time so you are not out of budget. Hope this help