7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 SI Hatchback General Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
khujo1023 is an unknown quantity at this point
03 SI Hatchback General Questions

Hello Folks

I am new to the site and have a few questions. I just purchased an 03 SI Hatchback w 115k miles, very minimal wear and tear on interior and exterior... also has original radio and doesn't appear to be driving to hell.

I am taking it to get the timing belt and water pump replaced in the next two weeks but am wanting to know what other maintenance everyone would recommend.

I am the 4th owner of the vehicle, it was shown as being in a minor wreck in 08 but the damage was repaired. Clean Title

So, if it were you, what maintenance would you have done on it and what are some of the inherent gotchas of owning this car?
Old 03-09-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 03 SI Hatchback General Questions

I am taking it to get the timing belt and water pump replaced in the next two weeks
STOP!!
The 2.0L engine does not have a timing belt (USA SI).
(but the 1.7 engine has one, Canadian SI)
I would not touch the water pump until or unless there is a problem with it. (use Hondas Type 2 coolant though)

See owners manual for maintenance info. Plugs and coolant would be done at 100k.

MTF-30k,
filter set- 30k
Brake fluid - every 3 years
Old 03-09-2016
Registered!!

Thanks EZone! I didn't know that the SI 2.0 does not have a timing belt and will take it in for plugs and coolant. Anything else?
Old 03-09-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Got any service history?
Check owners manual,

have a thorough inspection done so you know what's ok and what needs attention soon.
Old 03-09-2016
Registered!!

No, very little service history and the dealership did a 170 point inspection. Thanks for the info man! I'll keep a close eye on things.
Old 03-09-2016

Even though it sounds good and might be used as a selling point, the dealerships used car inspection is done for their benefit, not the customers benefit.

Have your own trusted mechanic inspect the car.
Old 03-09-2016
Registered!!

Man, you are right and I appreciate that. I'm going to take it in for an inspection for sure. Thanks Again!
Old 03-10-2016
Registered!!

Pier7866 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by khujo1023
Hello Folks

I am new to the site and have a few questions. I just purchased an 03 SI Hatchback w 115k miles, very minimal wear and tear on interior and exterior... also has original radio and doesn't appear to be driving to hell.

I am taking it to get the timing belt and water pump replaced in the next two weeks but am wanting to know what other maintenance everyone would recommend.

I am the 4th owner of the vehicle, it was shown as being in a minor wreck in 08 but the damage was repaired. Clean Title

So, if it were you, what maintenance would you have done on it and what are some of the inherent gotchas of owning this car?
I would suggest change 4 oil changes relatively quick first two at about 500 third at 1000 and final fourth at 1500 or 2000 what this will do is kind a flush your engine. also do the transmission service as well meaning replace the fluid. If the mechanic allows you when the car is up on the lift go under it and check if there are any leaks under the engine so that it could be rectify early before it becomes a problem. Hope this help.