7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine swap B-D

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gremlinsss is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Engine swap B-D

So I'm buying a 04 with a B series n swapping it to a D. Manly because the B has a snapped timing belt and I want something alil more fuel friend. I can get a perfectly fine D no probably at all only for 150$ so it's a nice deal. And once I swap out the B I'll be selling that as well, because I know a lot of ppl like them. Once I fix the timing belt issue of course. So I'm just curious as to what all I need for a swap like this. I've removed swapped engines before but I've never put in a different style and one with different bolts before. And the cars are both standard transmission I don't know if that matters. I don't think it should unless the B series is attached to it differently. Idk. So if you could let me know what I need and everything like that it would help out a lot.
Old 03-06-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Engine swap B-D

?!?

Where are you located?

B series in U.S. for example is for 2000 and earlier cars, so technically there was an engine older than the car. Which causes issues with emission guys if found out.

There will be engine mounts, will need to find out if trans was changed or not, ecu is likely not stock, wiring could have been changed (most likely)

Concerning the snapped belt - these engines are interference. There is high probability that it bent valves, so you will need to open it up, or test it.
Old 03-06-2016
Registered!!

Good point I didn't even think about the valves haha. I didn't buy the car yet I just want to figure a few things out before I do. Im in Hawaii right now. But I think I changed my mind. So I don't think I'm going todo the swap I'll just fix the car up the best I can n sell it for a profit and same with the engine.
But if I do do the swap. Would I have to buy new mounts? Or brackets? Are there kits for these kind of things? Ive always swapped engines that didn't need new mounts or anything so this would be alil different.
Old 03-06-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

I think I listed the major ones. But never saw a b series in 7th gen, you will need to check was was done, no kits because of what I mentioned: if found out, engine for older car model in newer model could present legal issues.
B series still uses distributor. 2001+ cars do not, coil on plugs. Major difference.
I would skip that car. Too much potential trouble
Old 03-06-2016
Registered!!

Ooo **** really?? To be honest he didn't say what series was in the engine. I looked up the engine spec for 2004 and it said it was a B so that's what I was going off of
Old 03-06-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

OK, that changes figures.

The 2004 have D17A1 or D17A2 if they are sedan/coupe DX, LX, EX, etc. Only the EX uses D17A2 with VTEC, the others non-VTEC.

If it's hatchback, it's K-series, but uses timing chain, not belt. Si models only - true VTEC
Old 03-06-2016
Registered!!

Oo I didn't know that. Hahaha I honestly don't give two ***** about those engines. I have an Acura TSX with a K24 and I love that engine the other series could bite my *** hahah. I'm just trying to make alil money n ****. but that's good information to know. Knowing that I won't swap it out. Swap the timing belts hahaha but I appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

which model is the car you looking? DX? LX? EX?

engine code is stamped in the engine, close to the mating point with transmission. (you never know which engine you have until you check on hondas - and they could have had a D17A2 head installed on a D17A1 engine... so need to check if the VTEC-E solenoid is present)

anyway, the valves will need be checked and repaired if it hit pistons...

my best number for EX with some modifications is 46MPG...
Old 03-06-2016
Registered!!

It's the LX. The car looks stock. It's doesn't like any modifications have been done to it. But I'm definitely going to find out.