7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

03 civic ex overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicboy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
03 civic ex overheating

I have a 03 civic ex, replaced head gasket twice, and water pump, and new radiator, it still continues to overheat even idling sitting in my yard. the car did run for 5 months with the timing off 2 teeth. idk what could be tha problem, I have replaced the whole coolant system in my car and it still continues to over heat. please help!!
Old 11-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 03 civic ex overheating

Do the fans run properly?
Old 11-17-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by civicboy22
I have a 03 civic ex, replaced head gasket twice, and water pump, and new radiator, it still continues to overheat even idling sitting in my yard. the car did run for 5 months with the timing off 2 teeth. idk what could be tha problem, I have replaced the whole coolant system in my car and it still continues to over heat. please help!!
When you did the HG did you have the head machined true?
Old 11-18-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bsmiley
No I did not.
Old 11-18-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Do the fans run properly?
only when I turn tell ac on, so I don't know if it's the fan switch or coolant temp switch, I know theres 2.
Old 11-18-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmiley
No I did not.
I think the question should be, was the head inspected and measured and did it need to be resurfaced or did it measure within specs for flatness?

Changing a head gasket doesn't do much good if the head isn't perfectly flat....it will leak again.

And if it overheats bad enough, it can blow the head gasket and warp the head all over again, no matter how recently it was just done.

only when I turn tell ac on, so I don't know if it's the fan switch or coolant temp switch, I know theres 2.
There's only one fan switch, in the thermostat housing.

The PCM can also control fan operation when the HVAC system requests compressor and fans to come on, or the coolant temperature switch can operate the fans independently of the PCM when that temp switch is triggered.

So I'd probably unplug that switch and use a paper clip to jump the wiring connector (key ON) and make sure the fans can run if the temp switch closes its contacts.

it still continues to overheat even idling sitting in my yard
What makes you say it overheats?
Temp gauge high?
Blowing antifreeze out on the ground?
Smoke?
What do YOU see?

Is the radiator completely full?

Will it still overheat if you keep the fans running?(AC on)
Old 11-18-2015
Registered!!

I think the question should be, was the head inspected and measured and did it need to be resurfaced or did it measure within specs for flatness?

Changing a head gasket doesn't do much good if the head isn't perfectly flat....it will leak again.

And if it overheats bad enough, it can blow the head gasket and warp the head all over again, no matter how recently it was just done.

well my head didn't look badly damaged at all from how many times I overheated, everything looked fine, and I did it at my uncles garage, hea a master mechanic, he watched over me. when I did the gasket and belts, but accidentally my timing was off 2 teeth, so I couldn't Rev past 3500rpms, even while driving, I fixed that problem, and then my ecm started blowing, I blew 2 on my 3rd right now, and it's just been sitting in my yard, and I could never get rid if the over heating problem.

There's only one fan switch, in the thermostat housing.

The PCM can also control fan operation when the HVAC system requests compressor and fans to come on, or the coolant temperature switch can operate the fans independently of the PCM when that temp switch is triggered.

So I'd probably unplug that switch and use a paper clip to jump the wiring connector (key ON) and make sure the fans can run if the temp switch closes its contacts.
I'll try that dude.

What makes you say it overheats?
Temp gauge high?
Blowing antifreeze out on the ground?
Smoke?
[U]What do you see?

well it was idling fine, maintaining perfect temperature, but the top coolant hose, was slowly getting hotter, and I kept peeking at my temp gauge, and it was holding in the middle, then started slowly rising up, and my coolant reservoir tank was steaming like crazy, so was my radiator.

I just replaced my new radiator, filled it up with antifreeze and water, cause it was concentrated.

Will it still overheat if you keep the fans running?(AC on)
I put my fans on my turning my account on, and left my ac on, and the temp gauge continued to rise and overheat, with the ac fan on..
Old 11-18-2015

Old 11-18-2015
Registered!!

yes, with my backup coolant tank full too
Old 11-18-2015

yes, with my backup coolant tank full too
The overflow shouldn't be completely full, it's got a max line at about halfway up the side of the bottle.

Allright then, now I got several questions, see if you can answer all of them

1) Is the gauge telling the truth?
While it's showing HOT.......wrap your hand around the top radiator hose and see if it burns the crap out of your hand. If you can hang on to the radiator hose without pain, then your temp gauge may be lying about the temp.

2) when it's showing hot and the fans are running, are the fans blowing HOT air?

If the gauge shows overheat, then the fans should be pulling 200 degree air off of the radiator. (If you have the AC running to keep the fans on, it produces some heat of its own so it may be hard to tell)

You should be able to feel the radiator hoses and tell if top and bottom radiator hoses are screaming hot.

3) When it's showing hot--turn the heater on full blast and see if
a) the heater is blowing super hot air, and
b) if using the heater will bring the temp gauge down to normal (or down any amount)

4) How much time does it take to go from a cold engine to showing overheat on the gauge?

5) Have you replaced the thermostat yet?