7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie: How much can I DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fmill019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie: How much can I DIY?

Hi everyone!

It is so exciting to be here!

I have been driving my Civic 03 EX for a while now, and have decided as a broke college student that perhaps I should look into maintaining my own car and save money!

My question to the forum is this: realistically, will or can I really learn how to repair everything on my car all on my own?

From getting dents and scratches out, to changing oil/tires, troubleshooting and fixing electrical wiring systems, bleeding out/replacing brakes, and doing wheel alignments, etc?

And secondly, where should I start in trying to get my hands wet in ''knowing my car better''? The only thing I really know how to do is change the headlight out pathetically. Everything else seems so complex.

Thanks for any help or advice
Old 11-13-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Newbie: How much can I DIY?

Originally Posted by fmill019
Hi everyone!
Hi!

I have been driving my Civic 03 EX for a while now, and have decided as a broke college student that perhaps I should look into maintaining my own car and save money!
Nice car! That's a good idea. I didn't start really getting into it until I'd had my car for 5 years.

My question to the forum is this: realistically, will or can I really learn how to repair everything on my car all on my own?
A lot of things, yes. EVERYTHING? Theoretically yes, but there's a limit to what you can do outside of a shop/garage.

From getting dents and scratches out
There are tutorials online. Depending on the location of the dent, you might be able to fix it. I view my dents as... beauty marks.

changing oil/tires
Yep. You need special tools if you want to put the tires on your rims. You're probably better off finding someone with them.

troubleshooting and fixing electrical wiring systems
Yes. It can get difficult, especially if the ECU (main computer) is involved.

bleeding out/replacing brakes
Yep.

and doing wheel alignments, etc?
Maybe. Might be easier and more cost effective to have it done though.

And secondly, where should I start in trying to get my hands wet in ''knowing my car better''? The only thing I really know how to do is change the headlight out pathetically. Everything else seems so complex.
Hey, that's a start! I started getting into car stuff when I restored my headlights for the first time. After seeing the difference in appearance and headlight performance, I was hooked! Luckily I had a do-it-yourself auto shop nearby, so I've gotten all the experience I wanted. Just do everything you can. Before taking it into the shop, search here (or use the Google) to see if the problem is something you can fix first!

Welcome to the forums!
Old 11-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

If you have no or little experience then pay extra attention to torque values on bolts/nuts/fasteners. I would stick to preventative maintenance until you feel comfortable to do, repairs. Diagnosing problems comes with research, training or experience. You tube has a lot of videos that can help, but get a service manual and do it all by the book, don't cut corners.
Old 11-13-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Stick around, ask questions when you need. Thanks to this forum, I was able to rip my engine completely apart and put it back together in perfect working condition.

More things I've been able to DIY thanks to the forum (just to name a few):
-remove a headlight in 5 minutes
-timing belt change (start to finish) in 3-4 hours
-learned how to work with fiberglass (and make a subwoofer enclosure)
-rear drum to disc conversion
-how to change out any part of my suspension
-how to change my clutch
-install a turbocharger
-pretty much anything that has to do with car audio

Civics are stupidly easy to work on, you just gotta be willing to dive into it. Check out my mod list on my profile. Most of it was a DIY job
Old 11-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

It's absolutely possible, but a lot depends on how capable you are and how much effort you are willing to put forth.
It may take longer than you want and may not ever go as planned, but that's all part of the job.
There's a helluva learning curve. Seek those who already know.

I started off as a kid with a broken car and no money. My dad had a toolbox and a driveway and a floor jack.
I got a manual and started reading.

Within the first week of having my license and first car on the road, I was pulling the engine out to fix a broken throwout fork. (63 VW Bug)

Of course my dad was coaching and giving a hand when I needed help.

2 damn lifetimes later, I'm STILL doing it for a living and still love what I do.
Pretty demented, huh?
Old 11-13-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I pulled my entire engine and swapped the transmission from auto to manual, in my garage.

You will need the drive to learn and the tools, which are actually pretty cheap.

That project I had to test and create new electrical components, replace the ecu, and do the mechanical job.

I did pay Honda to re-code my key, because there is no way to buy that tool... that I know of.
Old 11-13-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
2 damn lifetimes later, I'm STILL doing it for a living and still love what I do.
Pretty demented, huh?
Spoken like a true masochist

real talk, though. Stick around and make friends with the regular posters here (right now, mostly moderator/admin staff, but we're all just regular guys. Seriously.). Where you located at? Maybe if there's someone knowledgeable nearby, they can help "coach" you until you learn to walk on your own.
Old 12-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kokoroazumi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx

Civics are stupidly easy to work on, you just gotta be willing to dive into it. Check out my mod list on my profile. Most of it was a DIY job
Man, I have to admit that your mods are so impressive.

Would you please put hyperlinks on every mod that you have done on your profile? That would be awesome

I drove lexus GS 350 and a Civic 2005 EX special edition (just bought it few weeks ago at 97k miles for $3800 for everything - So cheap so I bought it, hehe)
Honestly, most of the work on my GS are from my friends at shop. But now with the Civic, I want to put my hand on
Could you please take sometime and put hyperlink on your mods in the profile?

Thanks a lot
Old 12-21-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by kokoroazumi
Man, I have to admit that your mods are so impressive.

Would you please put hyperlinks on every mod that you have done on your profile? That would be awesome
First off, thanks

Second, not gonna lie. That's gonna take a LONG time. Also, I've learned hyperlinks in profiles don't play very nice. If you have questions about any specific mod(s) or want me to help you find the best price, just let me know. Feel free to PM me with questions and inquiries. I always try to answer my PMs.
Old 12-21-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

good to know you were not in the way of that mad driver in vegas, Josh

like the others said, for the simple things, get a Haynes manual (available at most car parts store - autozone, advanced, etc.). The mods xriceboyx mentioned are mostly not in the manuals (because they are mods ) and they are more likely to be found in internet forums than manuals.

the other part that the others mentioned is also very important. You will find out the first time you find a stubborn rusted stuck bolt/nut. (personally, I don't have the patience to finish two of my cars...)

so, for simple, normal things, you go to the manual. (If you go to the more complete Heims manual instead of the Haynes, good - but they cost an arm.)

for not regular stuff, like installing rear disk brakes, you come in here.

A good reason? I prefer to smear grease in a paper manual than smearing it on my phone, tablet/computer while working on the car
Old 12-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
I prefer to smear grease in a paper manual than smearing it on my phone, tablet/computer while working on the car
Protip: Don't get dirty. You only smear up your electronics if you get dirty.
Old 12-22-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i am dirty old man, excuse me?
Old 12-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

oil,brakes,filters, these all seem way more difficult then they actually are if i was you id start by buying a manual.