7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Range sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whitexj is an unknown quantity at this point
Range sensor?

Rebuilt my first transmission (Bmxa) and forgot to take a few pictures. One of them is the range sensor (pretty sure that's what it is lol) so now I'm trying to reinstall it. I want to make sure I get it right so when it's put back in the car it shifts gears correctly! I'll add a picture, please tell me if it's set right or how I can go about setting it
Old 10-17-2015
Registered!!

Re: Range sensor?

Originally Posted by Whitexj
Rebuilt my first transmission (Bmxa) and forgot to take a few pictures. One of them is the range sensor (pretty sure that's what it is lol) so now I'm trying to reinstall it. I want to make sure I get it right so when it's put back in the car it shifts gears correctly! I'll add a picture, please tell me if it's set right or how I can go about setting it

Name:  brAhmnO.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  780.2 KB
Old 10-17-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Name:  picture_4508.jpg
Views: 3423
Size:  45.7 KB

If you never moved it then it stands to reason it should be ok, but here's a pic I found of the alignment.
Old 10-18-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

If you never moved it then it stands to reason it should be ok, but here's a pic I found of the alignment.
Thanks for the pictures! And I I had to move it in order to slide the top half of the case off. Not sure if it ended up getting messed with on the sensor itself so I wanted to be on the safe side. Thank you again!
Old 02-17-2017
Registered!!

tkcne is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the slot in the control shaft supposed to line up with the neutral position grooves? The picture in the original post looks like it doesn't and that is pretty close to the orientation on mine. But if it isn't supposed to line up, what is the point of the slot in the control shaft?
Old 02-17-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tkcne
Is the slot in the control shaft supposed to line up with the neutral position grooves? The picture in the original post looks like it doesn't and that is pretty close to the orientation on mine. But if it isn't supposed to line up, what is the point of the slot in the control shaft?
That shaft rotates as you move the shift lever through the gears.

See the picture above....the slots and notches should all align only in neutral, and you should be able to lay a drill bit cleanly in the slot and notches.

If necessary...Put shifter in N, loosen bolts and move range switch until it does align and your drill bit can lay in there.
Old 02-17-2017
Registered!!

Name:  4v9wEHz.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  644.1 KB

This is how mine looks in neutral. (2nd click from park) I even tore it all down again to make sure that I didn't screw something up. The control shaft engages the arm like it should. Just based on how the fan at the bottom is I don't see how it could be at that angle in neutral. Even in the diagram it looks like the slot is close to horizontal between the two bolts. Is there something stupid I'm missing here?
Old 02-17-2017

When you move the shift lever does that shaft actually rotate and change positions?

Are you positive you counted the clicks starting from Park not first?

Did you have the trans apart? Could something have been put together incorrectly that would cause the shaft to be out of alignment?

Is the original trans from the 02?
Is that the original switch from the trans?

What gear position is lit up on the gauges when you think it's in neutral?

I don't know what happened, but I bet you'll facepalm when you figure out why it doesn't line up LOL
Old 02-18-2017
Registered!!

When you move the shift lever does that shaft actually rotate and change positions?

Are you positive you counted the clicks starting from Park not first?
Yes. When I had the top of the shell off, two clicks clockwise engages the parking pall.

Did you have the trans apart? Could something have been put together incorrectly that would cause the shaft to be out of alignment?
I don't think so. I didn't take enough pictures I guess, but here is as I was disassembling it and how it was as I was assembling it. I believe this is low gear where the shaft has to be for the spring pin to slide through the case notch. You can see that the manual valve is in the same spot and the spring pin and slot are both pointing towards the mainshaft.

Name:  4WXhydc.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  245.0 KB
Name:  OLWqoaL.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  99.6 KB

Is the original trans from the 02?
Is that the original switch from the trans?
Not sure on both. I would be surprised if it had ever been rebuilt before though.

What gear position is lit up on the gauges when you think it's in neutral?
I'll let you know when I get it all hooked back up.

I don't know what happened, but I bet you'll facepalm when you figure out why it doesn't line up LOL
I really hope not.
Old 02-18-2017

I think the whole reason the slot has to be aligned with the notches in the range switch is so the PCM gets the correct gear position info....and the switch needs to be 'centered' in its contacts so slight movements of the shift lever inside the car doesn't kill the proper signal to the PCM, which would cause it to wonder which gear it was supposed to be in. I still don't know why that shaft would become misaligned so far.

Disappearing post was weird. IDK what happened there.
Old 02-18-2017
Registered!!

For the record, the shift sensor works fine installed exactly like in the picture above. When I went to install the cable with the shifter in N it was in the right position. I'm not ready to declare victory on the trans just yet, but so far it seems ok.

Thanks again for the help ezone.
Old 02-18-2017

Oh hey, I just realized

upon looking closer at the first pic the OP posted, blown up full size, I can see the shaft doesn't protrude through, but only sticks out far enough to contact the inier ring of the range switch......so the INNER ring of the range switch is what has to line up with the other notches, not the slot in the shaft itself.

The slot in the shaft and the notches in the inner ring cannot align, that's the way the switch is built.

Not being able to see it all first hand makes this job tough lol
Old 02-18-2017
Registered!!

Yeah that was what I was hoping when I saw it didn't stick up all the way and the fact that there is physically no way to move that shaft since it is all welded as one piece. But I felt like because the shaft had a slot that it should line up too. I'm just glad I didn't tear a second gasket going back in to double check everything.