7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

"Maint Req'd" light @ 115,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
h4ldol is an unknown quantity at this point
Question "Maint Req'd" light @ 115,000 miles

My "maint req'd" light popped up on my dash just under 115,000 miles. I last had a big service at 110,000 miles. Any idea why the light went on? Is it mostly for routine maintenance and triggered by mileage?
Old 10-16-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: "Maint Req'd" light @ 115,000 miles

It probably wasn't reset. I believe it is just based off mileage not a smart meter like the newer cars.

Mine has been on for a while. I can't reset it because my stupid cluster button push rod thing doesn't work.
Old 10-16-2015
Registered!!

Thanks, but you're saying that you can turn it off yourself with the cluster push button rod? I would have guessed that the dealer reset it last time since that was over 5,000 miles ago since the last service I had done, although I did have some A/C repair work (about 2,000 miles ago) done since the 110,000 mile service, but it never popped on until later.
Old 10-16-2015
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yes it can be reset with that button. Procedure is in the manual. I think you hold it down turn the ignition to position 2 and then wait 10 seconds and it should go out.

The mileage is 5k or 7.5k before it comes on I believe.

Last edited by GolNat; 10-16-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2015
Registered!!

Cool, thanks. But you're saying that the light comes on automatically every 5 (or 7.5) thousand miles? I just wonder if I need to have the dealer check it, but if it's not like a check light that comes on due to some issue that can provide info about from the onboard computer, then I guess it's pointless if it's purely activated by mileage.
Old 10-16-2015
Prelude Owner

It's not a error light or anything so there are no codes associated with it. The dealer just resets it the way it tells you to in your manual. Its basically what is now called a "service engine soon" light.

I guess you haven't put that many miles on the car? Its odd you have never seen it before. I don't know if you can reset the counter before the light comes on.
Old 10-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Its basically what is now called a "service engine soon" light.
You were thinking of Hondas "Maintenance Minder" system?

"Service Engine Soon" was GMs name for a Check Engine Light, which is operated by the engine control unit (PCM).

that the light comes on automatically every 5 (or 7.5) thousand miles? I just wonder if I need to have the dealer check it, but if it's not like a check light that comes on due to some issue that can provide info about from the onboard computer, then I guess it's pointless if it's purely activated by mileage.
The "Maint Req'd" light is on a simple mileage counter and is only an oil change reminder.

If you have never seen it before then you've been getting your oil changes sooner than the light would have you do them at, AND your service provider has been resetting it at each service.

100k+ of oil changes without anyone forgetting to reset that light is a pretty damn good record LOL.

Service writers at work lose their **** if I forget to reset one......Like "go ahead and yell at me some more, I'm sure that's gonna help the situation."
Old 10-16-2015
Registered!!

Thank you both very much, that's a load off my mind. I've had this car since I bought it new and the "maint req'd" probably has popped up rarely but not in a long while. I feel like maybe I did the reset procedure in the past but not sure. In any case, I will do it now, thanks!
Old 10-17-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

-with the ignition off push and hold the trip stem button
-turn the ignition to position II
-keep holding the trip button for 10 seconds
-the light will turn off, then release the button