7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Everything works but no crank

Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
meicalnissyen has a spectacular aura aboutmeicalnissyen has a spectacular aura about
Everything works but no crank

Hey

Went to start this AM, but no crank.
bat tery is fine, no changes made

except I was fiddling with the omega aftermarket FOB
the omega unit has been removed apparently, before I bought the car so dunno what the FOB is talking to if that is the issue. may be coincedence......
I looked for the valet button but its not visible,
discon the bat and drained sys

the green key light comes on for one sec, and goes out with key insertion, and blinks 4 times and goes out on key removal

can this be a clutch switch issue?? there are 2, how do I by pass them

THANKS
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Everything works but no crank

Originally Posted by meicalnissyen
can this be a clutch switch issue??
yes thats possible,

what is the battery voltage?

do you hear any clicking while attempting to crank?

check for power at the starter?

oil level low?

engine seized?
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

meicalnissyen has a spectacular aura aboutmeicalnissyen has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mikey1
yes thats possible,

Is it a common fault? and why are there 2 clutch interlocks, and should I short both to closed position to start/run. or is only one for interlock and the other for some shifting oddball reason. never seen a fully depressed switch on a clutch before, but this is my first honda.

what is the battery voltage? did not even check, horn is loud as hell other sys good, car has been solid DD since I replaced alternator, assume plenty of bat volts, I know how it feels when marginal

do you hear any clicking while attempting to crank? nope, all normal with key turn to pos 1 and 2, except nuthin when turn to crank

check for power at the starter? Was looking for a fuse to that, did not see one, do not know where starter is, that would be a good next step once I eliminate the clutch interlock switches. I checked obvious stuff quick, and then pedaled to work an hour late

oil level low? uh no

engine seized?
And THANKS for responding!
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

start with the easy things,

common sense would be to check the battery voltage first, it is possible for a battery to be able to power accessories but not have enough power to turn the starter/engine,

if the battery tests fine, my next step would be to disconnect it and clean the battery posts and connectors with baking soda and water,

after that i would test for power at the starter motor,

start simple with the easy things, never assume anything

there is no need to re-wire an entire house and then find out a light was just unplugged
Old 10-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

to re-wire an entire house and then find out a light was just unplugged
Where have I heard this before?
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Where have I heard this before?

yup.....admitting guilt
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
siliconvalley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikey1
start with the easy things,
start simple with the easy things, never assume anything

there is no need to re-wire an entire house and then find out a light was just unplugged
Ockhams's Razor
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

OK

simple things, I like that.

this is either a security system problem

or the clutch switches are bad

I would like to jump the clutch interlock to see if thats the problem before I lay on my back trying to trace out and remove the remnants of a security system that was not a problem yesterday.

again, I fiddled with the fob, which may, or may not be progged to the car, and directly after that the car behaves like the clutch is not being depressed.

SO.

Can anyone confirm that my description of the green key dash symbol activity is correct for normal operation?

can anyone weigh in on why there are 2 switches on the clutch, and which of the is the starter interlock.

on the off chance someone else has an omega alarm, using a FOB with 4415 on it, how many modules did it come with, and if more than 1, where are they likely to be hidden?

Thanks!!

@ezone;
Old 10-05-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone confirm that my description of the green key dash symbol activity is correct for normal operation?
On for 2 seconds after turning the ignition on, correct.
Flashes several times after turning the key off, correct.

If it were flashing rapidly while attempting to start it, that would signal it has been activated. This should be described in your owners manual if yuou still have it.
The starter would still operate even if the immobilizer were activated.
can anyone weigh in on why there are 2 switches on the clutch, and which of the is the starter interlock.
The upper switch is the starter interlock. You have to bury the pedal to the floor before it closes its contacts.

Speaking of that, make sure all your floormats are pulled out from under the pedals. I've seen more than one car towed in for something that simple.

The lower clutch switch is used by the computers for a neutral input and maybe for cruise shutoff if equipped.

-----

Put a test light or voltmeter on the small wire of the starter, see if there's power going to it when the key is twisted.
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
On for 2 seconds after turning the ignition on, correct.
Flashes several times after turning the key off, correct.

If it were flashing rapidly while attempting to start it, that would signal it has been activated. This should be described in your owners manual if yuou still have it.
The starter would still operate even if the immobilizer were activated.

Thats interesting, it lets you crank, but kills fuel/spark ??

The upper switch is the starter interlock. You have to bury the pedal to the floor before it closes its contacts.

OkI can do this one thing in the dark, the rest will have to wait til tommorow, I get off early

Now, Ok this makes sense, the switch for the interlock is the one closed when the pedal is at the bottom of its stroke. the other breaks at the top of the stroke, and intereupts the cruise should you shift. makes sense

I'll jump that now and recheck

THANKS

Speaking of that, make sure all your floormats are pulled out from under the pedals. I've seen more than one car towed in for something that simple.

The lower clutch switch is used by the computers for a neutral input and maybe for cruise shutoff if equipped.

-----

Put a test light or voltmeter on the small wire of the starter, see if there's power going to it when the key is twisted.
Yeah, this is next on the diferential, but not til I have daylight. I read one old post about a corodded wire to the starter causing similar symptoms unlikely that would hit hard and sudden, but, the maz 3 has a prob there that is not uncommon and hits then clears single signal wire to the starter on that one

I do a search tommorow for starter replacement should the interlock get ruled out

Very glad the OEM immobilizer is ruled out, there may still be some portion of the Omega alarm that is activating a starter lockout, but withouts its main module in the car..............

Thanks ezone
Old 10-05-2015
Registered!!

Huh, well whaddya know, popped the harness on the interlock, jumped it with a piece of safety wire, and va, bu effing roooom.

looks like I park the bicycle tommorow morning

I will of course,do a thourough visual on the starter, for signal wire issues , and get on ebay for a OEM fob to go with the door lock actuators from rock

glad I did'nt pedal all the way to the groc store for baking soda...........
Old 10-05-2015

Thats interesting, it lets you crank, but kills fuel/spark ??
Kills fuel (at about 2 seconds IIRC) if the immobi system isn't happy.

Huh, well whaddya know, popped the harness on the interlock, jumped it with a piece of safety wire, and va, bu effing roooom.
Is the little round rubber pad missing from the tab on the pedal where it makes contact with the plunger of the switch?
That's the usual problem on older cars, maybe it's starting to happen to 7th gens too.
Old 10-06-2015
Registered!!

I'll check, that makes more sense thAN sudden switch failure itself

mebbe I kicked it off while leaning over to get to the pass door lock

now I hear light grinding on the rear brakes pads had lottsa meat left, but I havent had the rear wheels off yet. time to check that and get ready to send Rock auto some more money
do those rear control arms crap out like the fronts?
Old 10-06-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by siliconvalley
Ockhams's Razor
Occams razor:

The principle states that

Among competing hypotheses that predict equally well, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove to provide better predictions, but—in the absence of differences in predictive ability—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better.

baking soda on the terminals does not qualify as "predict equally well" given the symptoms stated
Old 10-06-2015

I'll check, that makes more sense thAN sudden switch failure itself
So....was it?

mebbe I kicked it off while leaning over to get to the pass door lock
I don't think that's even possible due to location.

Note also there are probably 2 more of the same pads, so if one disintegrated you might consider replacing the whole set.

FYI other manufacturers have the same issue with the little rubber pads falling apart after several years.
Ford dealer wanted about $3 for one of theirs this morning.
Occams razor:

I don't think Occams razor has any place in diagnosis.....It might be useful when one has no idea though.
The principle states that
The 'simplest answer is often correct' idea should not be necessary if one actually takes a little time to understand a system and can reason and test their way through to pinpoint the actual fault.

now I hear light grinding on the rear brakes pads had lottsa meat left
Rust from sitting? Got rained on? Humidity?

Wait, you posted in 7th generation (01-05), you should have rear drum brakes--- unless it's an Si.
Most of Hondas drum brakes last almost forever.

do those rear control arms crap out like the fronts?
IMO no.
Old 10-06-2015
Registered!!

Correct again

the shoes are worn thin a s ****,but smooth and no breakthru to metal and really, they come that way, very little meat new. drums fine, no grooves, I put fresh shoes from advance on, for 16, not worth the ship time from rock. the struts are shot, but **** it they can ride that way as I do my 3 mile commute. I'm smelling a bit of interior pull to get to the top of the rear strut........

the rest of the maze of bushings appear intact. gotta read up on setting toe on this car.......

mebbe it was rust.............................................. .

have not searched the area for the tip, once runnig I had other crap to knock out, and I have no intention of rearming the switch, as long as it might be part of the omega disarming feature

Last edited by meicalnissyen; 10-07-2015 at 09:08 AM.