7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 EX Misfiring post adding oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jtcavey is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 EX Misfiring post adding oil

I apologize if this is an overposted topic or thread, I did as much research as I could prior. Situation:

Bought a 2005 EX off Craiglist. 160k. Couple days after driving I checked the oil. Bone dry. Stopped at Pep boys to get high mileage Penn 5-20 and some R134a too because the A/C isn't very cold. Added the R134a and then the oil. Couple mins later after driving the car ran TERRIBLE. None of these problems when I first got it. Misfires and smoke out the exhaust. Barely driveable. Thoughts?
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
emich is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2005 EX Misfiring post adding oil

Originally Posted by jtcavey
I apologize if this is an overposted topic or thread, I did as much research as I could prior. Situation:

Bought a 2005 EX off Craiglist. 160k. Couple days after driving I checked the oil. Bone dry. Stopped at Pep boys to get high mileage Penn 5-20 and some R134a too because the A/C isn't very cold. Added the R134a and then the oil. Couple mins later after driving the car ran TERRIBLE. None of these problems when I first got it. Misfires and smoke out the exhaust. Barely driveable. Thoughts?
Any codes? CEL is ON? How the oil looks now? Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by emich
Any codes? CEL is ON? How the oil looks now? Keep your fingers crossed.
None yet. I have a bluetooth ODB tester that I can run. What should I look for? The CEL outline symbol flashed once or twice while I was driving and it was misfiring. I was going around 40 MPH.
Old 09-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How much oil is in it now?
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

how much oil did you add? and where does the level read now on the dipstick?
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
how much oil did you add? and where does the level read now on the dipstick?
5 quarts. The dipstick in the vehicle doesn't have any markings (which I find weird). It just has a twist at the bottom though and the oil comes up about a half inch before that. When I put all 5 quarts in it seemed to take it all. Nothing overfilled or overflowed and the oil didn't come up to the funnel when I was done so I assumed I didn't overfill it. I hope I'm right :/
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

5 quarts

uuummmm your engine only requires a little over 3 quarts total, so 5 is WAY TOO MUCH.....you need to drain that out ASAP, the dipstick should have two dots/holes on it to mark the high and low levels, are there two holes in your dipstick?

Last edited by mikey1; 09-30-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

uuummmm your engine only requires a little over 3 quarts total, so 5 is WAY TOO MUCH.....you need to drain that out ASAP, it sounds like you dont have the proper dipstick for your motor/engine, the dipstick should have two dots/holes on it
Oh boy. And it does have the two holes!
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

uuummmm your engine only requires a little over 3 quarts total, so 5 is WAY TOO MUCH.....you need to drain that out ASAP, it sounds like you dont have the proper dipstick for your motor/engine, the dipstick should have two dots/holes on it to mark the high and low levels
Is there any way to drain it without empting it completely? Like take out 2 quarts and quickly put the drain plug back in? Or am I better off with a complete drain and adding the proper amount?
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

Is there any way to drain it without empting it completely? Like take out 2 quarts and quickly put the drain plug back in? Or am I better off with a complete drain and adding the proper amount?
the two holes are the low and high marks, your oil level should be between those holes, and never outside of that range, im assuming your level right now is way higher then the top hole, you need to drain some till its between those marks
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
thetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of light

Get some plastic tubing that fits in the dipstick tube and use a turkey baster to extract the excess. It will take a while but you won't have to dump and refill.

CAUTION: Don't loose the plastic hose down the dipstick tube!
Old 09-30-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Write 3.5 quarts in large print using a black marker, on a large fluorescent tag, minimum size 3"x5".
Use duct tape or similar to affix the tag over the oil fill cap
LOL
Drive to your local Jizzy Lube and have them change the oil.

Because it probably needed it anyway, and you need a starting point to see how much oil it drinks from here on out.

Check the oil level before you leave, make sure it is at the upper dot, the full mark.
Old 09-30-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Write 3.5 quarts in large print using a black marker, on a large fluorescent tag, minimum size 3"x5".
Use duct tape or similar to affix the tag over the oil fill cap
LOL
Drive to your local Jizzy Lube and have them change the oil.

Because it probably needed it anyway, and you need a starting point to see how much oil it drinks from here on out.

Check the oil level before you leave, make sure it is at the upper dot, the full mark.
This forum is amazing. Thanks for the quick responses everyone!