7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new shocks/struts question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skeener51 is an unknown quantity at this point
new shocks/struts question...

bought an 04 civic lx with 18 inch rims and appears to be slightly lowered. struts went bad and bought new shocks and struts and was told that the springs determine ride height. when i brought car in for install, the mechanic told me i need a certain type of shock and strut because its lowered. the car might be lowered 1 to 1.5 inches. please help me with any info. thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dragstriphonda7122014.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	88146  
Old 09-27-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: new shocks/struts question...

If it's lowered just by that amount, get some Tokico HP struts (also known as Tokio "blues"). I'd recommend those even if you aren't lowered

Edit: looking at your pic, it's definitively lowered

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 09-28-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: didn't realize my phone's autocorrect did stuff.
Old 09-28-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Tokio HP struts

Agree. Good option for not being lowered much.
Old 09-28-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Tokico* not tokio. Autocorrect doesn't like brand names.
Old 09-28-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

now, if it's a "coilover" set, them the springs/sleeves might not fit a stock replacement...
Old 09-29-2015
Registered!!

i picked up some stagg brand shocks and struts. (on a budget, i know) and they are not coil over sets. can i reuse the springs on car now to keep ride height? when i asked seller about this he said it would be fine, but he was also trying to make a sale. i was thinking of buying new springs since i was changing shocks/struts anyway. not sure what size springs or how to check. thank you guys for all your help, couldnt do it without you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	carfront.png
Views:	356
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	88151   Click image for larger version

Name:	carback.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	88154   Click image for larger version

Name:	carlight.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	88155  

Last edited by skeener51; 09-29-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Springs determine ride height so if you want to change that then you will need different springs. How much higher do you want it? Stock height?

Since you didn't get a performance shock a lowering spring is going to wear it out faster, for longevity raise it up.
Old 09-29-2015
Administrator
Administrator

You most definitely can reuse the springs. However, if they're not rated to handle a drop, you're gonna need new struts probably after 20k miles.

How much did you spend on the bargain brand struts?
Old 10-01-2015
Registered!!

i would like to keep same ride height. spent about 100 bucks on struts.