7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Brake Rotors (04 Honda Civic Coupe Ex)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Junquito89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Rotors (04 Honda Civic Coupe Ex)

Purchased everything new for the front Rotors, but the Caliper. Reason : Kept on making a squealing noise on the Drivers side while Braking and in motion as well. Question is “why” even though i replaced them it's still making the noise? Keep in mind it's nowhere near as it was, but should it still be making any noise at all?
Old 09-25-2015
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Brake Rotors (04 Honda Civic Coupe Ex)

Are your pads dragging? Did you check/grease your slide pins? Everything installed correctly? Did you fo a bed in after installation?
Old 09-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Find out what is wrong before throwing parts at it.

Do a thorough inspection of the hub and brakes.
Old 09-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Junquito89
but should it still be making any noise at all?
perhaps the issue has nothing to do with your brakes?
Old 09-26-2015
Registered!!

Lubricated the Brake Caliper Slider Pins with Aluminum Anti-Seize and thoroughly sprayed the Caliper itself with Brake Cleaner. Asides from that, i didn't Lubricate anything else (Rotors, Brake Pads, Shims...etc).
Old 09-26-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Purchased everything new for the front Rotors, but the Caliper. Reason : Kept on making a squealing noise on the Drivers side while Braking and in motion as well. Question is “why” even though i replaced them it's still making the noise? Keep in mind it's nowhere near as it was, but should it still be making any noise at all?
If the offending sound happens whenever you are in motion, and you replaced brakes... I'm guessing its not related to brakes. It depends what type of movement is happening when the sound occurs.

What about the control arm bushings, end link, strut mount or the strut? If its contant when rolling, it could be a wheel bearing.
Old 09-27-2015
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bsmiley
If the offending sound happens whenever you are in motion, and you replaced brakes... I'm guessing its not related to brakes. It depends what type of movement is happening when the sound occurs.

What about the control arm bushings, end link, strut mount or the strut? If its contant when rolling, it could be a wheel bearing.
It could still be a stuck caliper. Look at the rotors and pads that you took off. was one side worn more than the other? one side of a rotor more than the other?
Old 09-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Lubricated the Brake Caliper Slider Pins with Aluminum Anti-Seize

although this is unlikely to be the problem, you should be using grease on that, not anti seize
Old 09-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Anti-seize is not a lubricant, it can eventually dry out....and may damage the rubber boots.

I use Silicone grease on the pins, it won't attack the rubber.
Old 09-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Anti-seize is not a lubricant, it can eventually dry out....and may damage the rubber boots.

I use Silicone grease on the pins, it won't attack the rubber.
Most pads come with a little packet of silicone grease, use it on the contact points. A stuck piston could still be the culprit.

The stuck caliper on my last car sounded like constant grinding. Is that what yours sounds like? Is it constant? Does it change when you apply the brakes?
Old 09-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bsmiley

Wheel bearings tend to get louder when turning one way, but not always. Strut mounts make a rattling noise, and most other steering parts click or rattle. Most steering parts will give other symptoms as well like vibration or loose feeling steering, pulling to one side (typically).

Always start with a thorough inspection and make sure you know what is wrong, before spending $.
Old 09-27-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
Most pads come with a little packet of silicone grease, use it on the contact points. A stuck piston could still be the culprit.

The stuck caliper on my last car sounded like constant grinding. Is that what yours sounds like? Is it constant? Does it change when you apply the brakes?
Yes, it's constant. From the moment i start Driving to the moment i stop. It's not severe to the point one would notice it until you actually focused in on it. Obvious enough, but nothing compared to before i had reassembled it.
Old 09-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's constant. From the moment i start Driving to the moment i stop.
Maybe if you jack it up and spin that wheel you'd hear it and be able to figure out what the problem is.

That thin sheetmetal baking plate is rubbing against the brake rotor?
Old 09-27-2015
Registered!!

Yes, it's constant. From the moment i start Driving to the moment i stop. It's not severe to the point one would notice it until you actually focused in on it. Obvious enough, but nothing compared to before i had reassembled it.
Does it sound/feel different or like grinding, when you apply the brakes?
Old 09-27-2015
Registered!!

Somewhat, to an extent. More so when i am Driving the City limits (not on Highway). Gonna have to do a thorough inspection alongside someone else. Personally, i don't believe it's a serious issue, although i would like everything to sound and work as should. Appreciate the feedback!