7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

My first Honda, 2004 Civic HX

Old 08-25-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donahue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all. I am new to the forum and new to Hondas in general if you discount our 2000 Odyssey. I was in the market for a new commuter car and I picked up an 04 HX with a 5 speed for $2500. It's got 137k miles and is in decent shape, but it needs a little TLC like most older cars.
I've got a plan for some preventive maintenance but I would appreciate any input. I've got no evidence of the timing belt being replaced, so that is very high on my list. I plan on maybe replacing some of the other optional parts while I've got it apart. I'm probably going to replace the plugs too for good measure. It's got a P0135 and PA200 code for the first O2 sensor, so I also need to get that resolved. It's currently disconnected which I am sure does not help my mileage. I specifically sought out this package for the fuel economy.
For the sensor, It seems there can be some confusion about when they switched to the wideband type in 04. I was a little unsure, but in the end, my research tells me I need this part:
O2 Sensor O2 Sensor
. I was planning on using
these these
for the plugs. Is there a better supplier than Amazon for these parts? For the timing kit, a friend of mine said I should get gates. Are these the OEM, or should I be looking at something else? Also, it looks like all the D17's including my A6 take the same timing kit, is this confirmed? Is it worth buying the kit that has the valve cover gasket and a bunch of other extras, or should I stick with the basic kit and just add the gasket piecemeal? Where is the best place to get these?
The car is going to need new tires soon and I like the look of 16's, but do they more than slightly affect mileage? If I did go that route, they'd likely be used and therefore not specifically bought to be lightweight. I suppose I could also just get new rubber for the stock 14's, at least they are not hub caps. The car came with a new battery and a newish clutch, and new ceramic pads up front. I've only ever used semi metallic, is there anything I should be aware of?
I lucked out and the car came with an older but still in good shape JVC KW-NT3HDT. It's way more stereo than I would probably ever buy or need, but it's really nice to have. I really like the Bluetooth and that the navigation won't eat up either my phone battery or data plan. The graphics look a little like I'm playing formula 1 on Super Nintendo, but beggars can't be choosers. Being able to plug in a nice big thumb drive loaded with music is a nice feature I never knew I would like. I've even thought about getting a license plate camera and hooking that up to it.
The car came with manual windows but power doors and AC. I was considering opening up the dash to see if it has keyless entry already and was just missing the fob. What are my best options for adding it if I have to start from scratch? Should I just go straight to aftermarket, or should I try and locate a junkyard system from and EX? If so what years and models are compatible? I also need to get a second key made, is the dealership the best source for this?

All in all, I think this is going to be a great little car for me and it's already very fun to drive. At first driving a stick again was a little bumpy after so many years, but already it feels right. I found my self wanting to down shift to a stop sign while driving the odyssey and it gave me a chuckle. It may be underpowered by some people's standards, but it feels like a sports car to me. I just hope I can stay off it enough to keep the mpg high.

One last thing, is it normal for this car to be at about 2200 rpms at 60? Being supposedly taller geared, I was expecting something below 2k for cruising speed.
Name:  EA98720B-E7CF-492D-804A-DDAD78005588_zpsaet4dyv9.jpg
Views: 25712
Size:  253.9 KB
Name:  F6A37D40-C4EA-440F-AA99-8B80576D9375_zpsrupcljok.jpg
Views: 25114
Size:  232.8 KB
Name:  25972C36-9EA1-4BD1-8938-BC61DF3EC2BA_zpssxotmiut.jpg
Views: 25031
Size:  261.4 KB
Name:  4896647C-C9FF-4DDC-84B4-9F86B40847BF_zpspsqdbnbr.jpg
Views: 25232
Size:  229.2 KB
Name:  6F0C9CF5-7052-4BDC-98FD-922351587C45_zps0ds3bub2.jpg
Views: 25021
Size:  243.8 KB
Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

Can anyone answer the questions about the parts? Specifically the timing kits?
Old 08-26-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Re: My first Honda, 2004 Civic HX

Originally Posted by Donahue
Can anyone answer the questions about the parts? Specifically the timing kits?
I personally want the timing kit from Honda. I've read about too many tensioner failures with other kits from amazon & ebay.

I think dealers charge premium prices but you will get the highest quality parts. There is a dealer on the west coast that discounts retail price. Shop their website (there is a link in the main 7th gen forum page). Email them your VIN and ask for them to price you a timing belt kit. Read more here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic/338894-oem-parts-look-here-before-buying.html

The west coast dealer is here: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-parts/2004/honda/civic-coupe/hx-trim/5-speed-manual-engine/maintenance-cat
I agree with your spark plugs & O2 selections. I posted about the maintenance I've done back in April. Drain & fill tranny, etc. I also adjusted my valve clearances and cleaned my IAC. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic/363632-my-7th-gen-1-year-anniversary.html

Congrats on your Civic. Looks like a good one. I'd keep the 14" rims, they are light and the tires are lower priced over 16s.

There are a lot of great DIYs at this forum and the search function will give you plenty to read. Enjoy and let us know if you have questions.

Last edited by bsmiley; 08-26-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bsmiley
I personally want the timing kit from Honda. I've read about too many tensioner failures with other kits from amazon & ebay.

I think dealers charge premium prices but you will get the highest quality parts. There is a dealer on the west coast that discounts retail price. Shop their website (there is a link in the main 7th gen forum page). Email them your VIN and ask for them to price you a timing belt kit. Read more here: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...re-buying.html

The west coast dealer is here: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-...aintenance-cat
I agree with your spark plugs & O2 selections. I posted about the maintenance I've done back in April. Drain & fill tranny, etc. I also adjusted my valve clearances and cleaned my IAC. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...niversary.html

Congrats on your Civic. Looks like a good one. I'd keep the 14" rims, they are light and the tires are lower priced over 16s.

There are a lot of great DIYs at this forum and the search function will give you plenty to read. Enjoy and let us know if you have questions.
so i wound up ordering a mixed bag of parts. I ordered everything from amazon. For the timing belt kit, I went with
Aisin Aisin
. i got this one primarily because ive read that these were the OEM components, plus it came with the spring for the tensioner. i went cheap on the
valve cover gasket kit valve cover gasket kit
because its relatively easy to get to, and is not super critical. im not going to replace the accessory belts unless i have to, but they are also easy to get to. for the sensor, i replaced it last night with
this this
. ive only driven it about 25 miles since, but the cel went off and has not come back yet. i also ordered two gallons of the
OEM type 2 coolant OEM type 2 coolant
since i will be replacing the water pump. i'll be replacing the
plugs plugs
as well for good measure.

for the tires, ive decided to not be vain and just keep the stock rims and replace the tires. its not like they are hub caps anyways. im trying to figure out if i want to get something like the Kumho KR21's or pay a little more and get Michelin Defenders. there basically no choices for low rolling resistance tires in this size.
Old 09-08-2015
Registered!!

When I picked up the car, it had a CEL on for the primary O2 sensor. I've replaced it with the proper sensor and the light turned off. With no sensor I'm pretty sure I was running and open loop and was not able to get into lean burn. For informational putposes, my car uses a 4 wire wide band AFR sensor in place of an O2 sensor. Most of the info about HX models indicate they use a 5 wire sensor. I can only assume that since most HX models are 6th gens, and mine is a 7th, that has something to do with it. The correct sensor for me was a Denso 234-9005.
Name:  F35C1130-AECE-4ABE-A47D-9FAC6DFC88F7_zpstiv9p9zp.jpg
Views: 18952
Size:  129.0 KB

This weekend I also got a jump start on all the maintenance this car needs. My buddy just installed a two post lift in his shop and so I took it down there to work on it. Man does that make a difference. This was also the first time my 5 year old son has "helped" me work on a car.

I changed the timing belt, and water pump, as well as all the gaskets and seals I the valve cover. I also checked the valve lash while I was in there, along with new coolant. I also switched to Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20w. This will be m first experience with synthetic oils. I'm hoping to bump the change interval up to 10k.

I also noticed while the car was in the lift that one of my tires is a lot worse than I thought and it will force me to get the replacements now instead of waiting a few months.

Name:  D0F8A4DD-E3D9-49FB-8BAC-B8795958997A_zpsvdafrfnq.jpg
Views: 17284
Size:  217.8 KB