7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Brake Fluid Volumes Flushed from Each Line

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the rough
Brake Fluid Volumes Flushed from Each Line

I am flushing my 2003 Civic LX Coupe's brake lines soon. I am ready to use most of the 32 oz. bottle of brake fluid I bought. I estimate the volumes from the prop valve to each wheel, et cetera as follows:

Front Dr = 0.2 oz
Front Pass = 0.4 oz
Rear Pass = 1 oz
Rear Dr = 0.7 oz
Master Cylinder = 1.6 oz
Reservoir = 4 oz

It's been 4.5 years since the last brake flush. Still what is in the reservoir looks clear. I doubt I will be able to tell when old fluid is out of each line and new fluid has filled the line. I use a MityVac hand pump to do brake line flushes. The little cup attaching to the pump holds about 4 oz (precariously) before it has to be emptied.

Does it make sense to flush different amounts from each line? I was figuring on flushing only 2 oz (= 1/4 cup) through the front dr brake line and 4 oz, 10 oz and 7 oz, give or take, on the remaining brake lines in order.

TIA

Last edited by honda.lioness; 08-06-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Wrong number of years since last brake flush given.
Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Brake Fluid Volumes Flushed from Each Line

Your driver side will be the less amount. Next would be passager side then the rear. You should be able to tell when the old fluid comes out. It might look clear but it will be a bit darker then the new fluid. So to answer your question.. Just flush each line until you see the clear fluid.
Old 08-03-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I estimate the volumes from the prop valve to each wheel, et cetera as follows:

Front Dr = 0.2 oz
Front Pass = 0.4 oz
Rear Pass = 1 oz
Rear Dr = 0.7 oz
Master Cylinder = 1.6 oz
Reservoir = 4 oz
I think you did not take into account the internal fluid volume of each caliper and/or wheel cylinder....and each caliper can be a large variable depending on the amount of pad wear and piston extension.

Reality: This is overthinking it.

I'd say to just suck out as much fluid from the reservoir as possible, then refill it with fresh fluid.
Then start bleeding at each wheel, bleed until fresh clear fluid comes out, plus a bit more for good measure.

If you want a measurement at each bleeder and you have a 32oz bottle of new DOT3 fluid (less filling the reservoir), go for 4-6oz per wheel, at least that would ensure each is caliper or wheel cylinder is operating in new fresh fluid.

HTH
Old 08-04-2015
Registered!!

honda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the rough

Thank you, honda200192 and ezone. All you posted sounds good.
Old 08-06-2015
Registered!!

I flushed the system yesterday. The old fluid was a bit darker but still clear. It was hard to tell when the new fluid was coming through the lines. But I think this says more about how clean my system is and I should not tarry over it. I imagine living in the dry Southwest as I do helps minimize absorption of moisture and so contamination. Hiccups yesterday: I had not flushed the system since Dec 2010, so I found both my turkey baster (for taking old fluid out of the reservoir) and Mityvac hand pump had failed, due to the residual brake fluid I left in them destroying rubber seals etc. On the spot I made up a little one-person bleed system with the proverbial small plastic bottle and tubing (see youtube and many other sites for this). I am delighted 3/16-inch ID, 5/16-inch OD tubing fits easily and snugly over both the front and rear bleeder valves. I bought my tubing at Ace Hardware "by the foot." Lowe's has it in a roll as well.