7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Clear Coat Touchup Prep Advice

Old 06-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MN-02-CivicEx is an unknown quantity at this point
Clear Coat Touchup Prep Advice

Got a couple of fairly good-sized patches on roof between front windshield and sliding sunroof where clear coat is missing. The base color G95P Pearl Green isn't scratched or otherwise faded.

Any special prep procedure/advice besides a good cleaning and a light wet sanding with 1000 before applying Clear Coat from an O'Reilly aerosol spray can?
Old 06-11-2015
Registered!!

Re: Clear Coat Touchup Prep Advice

Apparently this shedding/pealing of clearcoat is more common with dark colors when car spends to much time in the sun. Was told it's exacerbated when car is never polished. Saw another older Civic (same dark green) with major roof clearcoat shedding.

Seems like respraying is fairly inexpensive and straight forward for someone with detailing experience. Just wanted to check if there's a preference in Clearcoat type/brand ... Duplicolor, Krylon or Rust-oleum Ultra Cover 2x Clear Spray. PlastiKoat 1000 Clear Coat Automotive wouldn't be my first choice if it still comes with the old style spray nozzle. However one would assume that it's formulation is designed for automotive use and therefore should be the preferred choice ... Yes? No?
Old 06-11-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I used the Duplicolor clear coat on my grill after I painted it. I thought it worked well and has held up good. The more coats the better!

My results can be seen here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ng-grille.html
Old 06-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
I used the Duplicolor clear coat on my grill after I painted it. I thought it worked well and has held up good. The more coats the better!

My results can be seen here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ng-grille.html
Duplicolor it is then with its EZ Touch Spray Nozzle. Thanks for the helpful link ... will use blue painters tape.

Was told by O'Reilly's to wet sand the Pearl Green base coat first. However, the Pearl Green surface (with mica flakes) isn't shiny. It already has a dull satin primer-like surface look to it. Maybe wet sanding the Pearl Green mica flake base coat before clear coat is not the way to go. What do you think ... wet sand or NOT wet sand the Pearl Green base coat before clear coat?

I doubt that there was any wet sanding of the original Pearl Green base coat before the clear coat was applied by Honda. Is wet sanding even necessary after a good degrease cleaning, rinsing with water and thoroughly drying before applying a couple coats of Duplicolor Clear Coat over the Pearl Green base surface?

Old 06-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I have not tried to do what you are doing so I do not have first hand knowledge.

I would lightly wet sand the color coat to remove any oxidation. The factory would have no need to wet sand since the clear coat would be applied as soon as the color coat had dried. Degreaser and washing with Dawn is a good idea. You want to make sure that any wax or silicone is removed. As for the blue painters tape, I would put it a little further back from the area and try to feather the clear coat. If you spray multiple coats right up to the tape you will end up with a line or ridge.
Old 06-12-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

^ I agree about the wet sand and tape.

Use the tape only to pretect from overspray but don't clear coat up to the tape.
Old 06-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I would be very careful sanding to be sure you don't go thru the color coat. The clearcoat may have worn thru because it was thin and you want to be sure that the base coat isn't thin also.
Old 06-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Use the tape only to pretect from overspray but don't clear coat up to the tape.
Yes! Was referring to blue taping only where the shedding of clear coat meets the top edge of the windshield, front edge of the sun/moon roof window and sides of roof above the front driver and passenger doors.

Originally Posted by pjb3
I would be very careful sanding to be sure you don't go thru the color coat. The clearcoat may have worn thru because it was thin and you want to be sure that the base coat isn't thin also.
Current plan is to wet sand (1000 grit) only along the existing (good) clear coat edge that's next to the exposed Pearl Green base coat. Will be kind of tricky trying to soften just the existing edge of the good clear coat while not sanding into the adjoining base coat color. Need to soften the edge of the clear coat flake/break line . Current plan is for the wet sanding to continue along the entire front of the roof including the 12-15 inches of good clear coat between the two weathered patches where the clear coat no longer exists.

There's about 12-15 inches above the middle of the windshield and the front middle of the sun/moon roof window where the existing clear coat is OK. Plan to give this existing 12-15 inches of clear coat a light wet sanding before spraying the Duplicolor clear coat across the entire front portion of roof. The shed clear coat with the exposed base color that needs respraying is two patches between the top of the windshield and the front edge of the sun/moon window, separated by 12-15 inces of OK clear coat. The two patches both extend to the sides of the roof above the driver and passenger door.

Any so-called overspray will be between the front sides of the sun/moon roof window and the edge of roof above the driver and passenger doors. Not sure how much of this OK clear coat area that does receive some overspray to just degrease scrub or also lightly wet sand .

Last edited by MN-02-CivicEx; 06-13-2015 at 09:02 AM.