7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

maintenance for 2003 Si at 100,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beachglass is an unknown quantity at this point
maintenance for 2003 Si at 100,000 miles?

Hi,
Took my daughter's Si for an oil change/multipoint inspection. The garage recommended a serpentine belt, both front lower control arm bushings, and said both front struts were leaking. She got the car from my in-laws at 92K miles. I'm skeptical because they had already replaced the serpentine belt (and trans oil) three years ago at 72.5K. I assume that it is still okay. The car bounces around like crazy when I hit a rut or pothole (hey, this is New England) regardless of speed, so I assume the struts do need something. I've looked at the recommended services at 100k, doesn't look like a routine replacement of the belt. Any recommendations? And any recommendations for a good Honda repair shop in the metrowest Boston area?

Thanks!

Last edited by beachglass; 05-22-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: forgot trans oil
Old 05-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: maintenance for 2003 Si at 100,000 miles?

Originally Posted by beachglass
multipoint inspection.
What is the value of a FREE inspection.... ?
I've got several rants about these.

The garage recommended a serpentine belt,

I'm skeptical because they had already replaced the serpentine belt (and trans oil) three years ago at 72.5K. I assume that it is still okay.
You SHOULD be skeptical on that one.

Grab a flashlight and go take a look. What kind of shape is it in?
Obvious cracks in the ribs/grooves?
Weather cracks on the flat side?
(Brownish color is normal, nothing to worry about IMO.)

What brand was it?
OEM belts last a damn long time.
Aftermarket belts are a crapshoot.

both front lower control arm bushings,
and said both front struts were leaking.
Verify these with a quick visual check?
Probably does need them.

She got the car from my in-laws at 92K miles. The car bounces around like crazy when I hit a rut or pothole (hey, this is New England) regardless of speed, so I assume the struts do need something.
If you did NOT see the struts have been leaking, then bounce the front of the car with your body weight... Does it bounce too easily?

repeat the same for the rear.

I've looked at the recommended services at 100k, doesn't look like a routine replacement of the belt.
No scheduled interval on that.
"As needed."

HTH
Old 05-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beachglass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. Took it back to the same place, and the mechanic showed me with the car on the lift what was recommended. The belt is brown but has no cracks. He showed me what he said were leaking bushings and struts, but since I don't know what they look like when not leaking, I'm still taking his word on those. There was a note from the in-laws' mechanic back in 2012 that they should look to replace the left front strut by the end of the summer.
Old 05-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The belt is brown but has no cracks.
I'd leave that alone.

He showed me what he said were leaking bushings and struts, but since I don't know what they look like when not leaking, I'm still taking his word on those. There was a note from the in-laws' mechanic back in 2012 that they should look to replace the left front strut by the end of the summer.
Multiple votes now for struts, so do it.

100k on the bushings, they probably are tearing of not torn all the way by now. I'd say do them too.
Might need sway bar links?

Do all the suspension work at the same time so you only need to pay for wheel alignment once.

Then the front end will probably be good for another 100k.