7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

loud noise civic 2001

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: loud noise civic 2001

Line up the crank timing mark first. Then check the cam marks.
Old 05-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
contevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Line up the crank timing mark first. Then check the cam marks.
Ok, i will. i get off 6:30.
Old 05-19-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The crank timing mark did not look far off the mark, but I can't see everything you are seeing.
Old 05-19-2015
Registered!!

The crank timing mark did not look far off the mark, but I can't see everything you are seeing.

here round two I lined up crankshaft
Im taking pic with galaxy s3 try get close up and clean shot lol
crankshaft pics:

camshaft mark looks bit off
Old 05-19-2015

Looks ok to me? Check the mark on the forward edge of the cam gear too?

If the belt was off by a tooth then your cam gear slash mark would be a whole tooth away from the ruler.
Old 05-19-2015
Registered!!

Looks ok to me? Check the mark on the forward edge of the cam gear too?
Ok I made video starting the car MM reading @ 12.45 volts and drops when try start so im thinking my battery is weak to start the car
and the sound like gun shot is not, my microphone suck on this phone pick up sound louder than it is and I check with the ruler on other side of the camshaft pulley marker is dead on also.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...X28&authuser=0

Last edited by contevo; 05-19-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2015

I can't tell anything in that video, too short. And Firefox won't play it.

Post a video of engine cranking for a good 5 or 10 seconds.
Old 05-19-2015
Registered!!

I can't tell anything in that video, too short. And Firefox won't play it.

Post a video of engine cranking for a good 5 or 10 seconds.
ok uploaded to tinypic this 20sec video lol

View My Video
Old 05-19-2015

Video plays well in that format but looks funny. Oh well.

You are only cranking it for like one second at a time. No good.

Twist the key and do not quit. Keep it cranking continuously for 10 full seconds so I can hear what it sounds like
Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

Video plays well in that format but looks funny. Oh well.

You are only cranking it for like one second at a time. No good.

Twist the key and do not quit. Keep it cranking continuously for 10 full seconds so I can hear what it sounds like

ok , I jumped the car and waited few min let the battery charge, and third time I crank the car started. here the video
View My Video

I hit the gas while parked and push it to 3k RPM for 3 second than let go rpm drops all the way down to 0 like going turn off than picks up goes back to normal idle/rpm I haven't put the steering wheel pump in place yet and I have to readjust the alternator belt squeaking sound didn't do that before so probably not tight correct... other than car idle normal and on the video i dk if you can hear like tapping sound coming from drivers side not sure what it is yet.....
Old 05-20-2015

the car started
I think we are done here!
Put the timing cover back together, valve cover, and belts and the rest of the pieces.

Make sure you tighten all the bolts for the alternator. Failure to get them tight can ruin the engine computer.

If it still has unstable idle after you finish, let it relearn the idle.

HTH
Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

I think we are done here!
Put the timing cover back together, valve cover, and belts and the rest of the pieces.

Make sure you tighten all the bolts for the alternator. Failure to get them tight can ruin the engine computer.

If it still has unstable idle after you finish, let it relearn the idle.

HTH
I'm still paranoid lol I'm going double check everything on my day off did you hear the taping noise on the driver side? ill upload new video better quality and without all moving all over the place tomorrow, i was nervous and happy at same time... lol

and Im very grateful for helping me this long, and I wish could buy you shot and couple of beer... this has been learning and very scary, stressing experiences.....

Last edited by contevo; 05-20-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-20-2015

Yes I hear the tapping, but I've been mislead hearing noises on this laptop so I didn't mention it.

If it's tapping loud, figure out where it's coming from. Stethoscope it (long screwdriver or dowel held to your ear can work)

The engine isn't misfiring, is it?

Did you torque the bolt on the cam gear?
Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

Yes I hear the tapping, but I've been mislead hearing noises on this laptop so I didn't mention it.

If it's tapping loud, figure out where it's coming from. Stethoscope it (long screwdriver or dowel held to your ear can work)

The engine isn't misfiring, is it?

Did you torque the bolt on the cam gear?
yea I torque it back whenever got loose trying turn it lol. the sound is not loud but you can hear it if you get close to the engine but u can't hear it when you are inside the car.
I pulled the 15a fuse for the ecu before started this project I didn't let the car run too long maybe 20mins after started today so the computer hasn't thrown any code of yet and the car is not idling rough either but like I mention before only time goes rough when you push the gas 2k,3k+ rpm and let go and drops to 0rpm than goes back to normal under 1k rpm. Ill keep you posted when go through everything on my day off make sure I didn't miss anything. Also timing belt tentioner I use my 3/4 rachet and my jack metal pipe as cheater bar to tighten bolt I don't have torque wrench for 33lb i tighten it good hopefully wasn't too damn tight.
Old 05-20-2015

timing belt tentioner I use my 3/4 rachet and my jack metal pipe as cheater bar to tighten bolt I don't have torque wrench for 33lb i tighten it good hopefully wasn't too damn tight.
OMFG I hope that's a lot of typos.

DO you have any idea what 33 ft-lb means --- in a literal sense?
Old 05-20-2015
Registered!!

OMFG I hope that's a lot of typos.

DO you have any idea what 33 ft-lb means --- in a literal sense?
Last night i didnt understand because most people use torque wrench to get the right torque. I read about it today " foot-pound". so my apology for my typos. I made the View My Video while the car is warming up and the tapping noise is coming from camshaft pulley but black plastic cover i gotta push in iand tighten it the plastic is tapping on the pulley.
Old 05-20-2015

Originally Posted by contevo
I read about it today " foot-pound".
Ok but do you understand what foot-pound is?

33 ft-lbs means, quite literally, 33 pounds of weight applied to the end of a one foot long lever (wrench in this case) to apply that specific amount of twisting force to tighten the fastener.

"Too loose is too loose.....and too tight can become too loose too."
Old 05-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Also timing belt tentioner I use my 3/4 rachet and my jack metal pipe as cheater bar to tighten bolt I don't have torque wrench for 33lb i tighten it good hopefully wasn't too damn tight.
you are doing many very serious things wrong,

i dont think you realize how lucky you have been, if you ever strip the threads on that bolt you will need a new block which would be a HUGE JOB
Old 05-21-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Also timing belt tentioner I use my 3/4 rachet and my jack metal pipe as cheater bar to tighten bolt I don't have torque wrench for 33lb i tighten it good hopefully wasn't too damn tight.
Wow, 33 ft-lbs is NOT that tight, you could probably tighten something to 33 ft-lbs with a standard ratchet. There is no way you would need a huge cheater bar and a 3/4" drive ratchet! Hopefully you didn't put too much weight on that thing....

My guess is you got it on there with like 100 ft-lbs.....

Go get a torque wrench! I can't believe you did this job without one!

mikey1 is sooo right...... you have no idea how lucky you are that you didn't screw anything up during this procedure.... hope you learned a lot!
Old 05-22-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
Wow, 33 ft-lbs is NOT that tight, you could probably tighten something to 33 ft-lbs with a standard ratchet. There is no way you would need a huge cheater bar and a 3/4" drive ratchet! Hopefully you didn't put too much weight on that thing....

My guess is you got it on there with like 100 ft-lbs.....

Go get a torque wrench! I can't believe you did this job without one!

mikey1 is sooo right...... you have no idea how lucky you are that you didn't screw anything up during this procedure.... hope you learned a lot!
yes it was a learning experience. I have plan redoing it again in 2 months with new timing belt covers, timing belt kit from honda, and proper tools this caught me off guard with little funds, I had to get loan for 200 bucks just i can buy some the tools and tensioner kit from honda asap was 99.98 dollars I could have gotten cheaper but I need it asap. I have more respect for the mechanic that do this in a daily basis... I thought removing the 19mm bolt was easy took me 20 mins get it off. I think alternator belt putting it back was PITA. Im grateful for the DIY and the help I gotten from people on this forum. thank you.
Old 05-22-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

As long as you have learned something from these mistakes you're all good!

I doubt there is one person on this forum that hasn't screwed something performing a maintenance operation for the first time.

If you DO decide to do it again, let us know how it goes!
Old 05-22-2015

I thought removing the 19mm bolt was easy took me 20 mins get it off.
I wonder how tight this bolt is now.

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
I doubt there is one person on this forum that hasn't screwed something performing a maintenance operation for the first time.
Same goes for professionals too.

"The master has already failed more times than the beginner has even tried."
Old 05-22-2015
Registered!!

I wonder how tight this bolt is now.

Same goes for professionals too.

"The master has already failed more times than the beginner has even tried."
I use impact gun get tight enough to get me to the shop
and they unloosen it than tighten to spec for 10 bucks...

Last edited by contevo; 05-22-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2015
Registered!!

So I figure I post an update how my car is doing, well she been doing good. recently I did my spark plug(NGK) and oil change next week I'm going to do coolant flush replace it with Honda coolant and transmission oil change with honda oil and honestly idk when was last time it was done to this car so it has me worry because idk the history of this car. Recently has been hot *** hell here in Texas, I notice when I'm driving under this weather conditions I get like stutter/jerking usually on constant 60+ mph or after a warm up start up under 30mph but doesn't do it during the night she drives smooth the only code I get is p0420 this code just came on right after I did my inspection lol. So what can be this random stuttering?
Old 06-10-2015

Does the engine have an EGR valve?
Old 06-10-2015
Registered!!

Does the engine have an EGR valve?
I don't think that comes standard on all EX? Mines is LX
Old 06-10-2015

I don't think that comes standard on all EX? Mines is LX
Damn.

This is a new problem just since you replaced the spark plugs?

Spark plugs correctly gapped and properly tightened?

What brand were the old spark plugs--NGK or DENSO ? Some other brand? Still have them?

Which part number are the new plugs?
Old 06-10-2015
Registered!!

Damn.

This is a new problem just since you replaced the spark plugs?

Spark plugs correctly gapped and properly tightened?

What brand were the old spark plugs--NGK or DENSO ? Some other brand? Still have them?

Which part number are the new plugs?
As soon the stuttering/jerking started my first reaction was change the spark plugs and I did that the same day it happen last week and did my oil change while I was in there, so now does it randomly usually on hot days and sometimes doesn't do it or never at night as of yet. like this afternoon on my way to work I was cruising at @65mph and under 3k rpm and was hot it didn't do it but on my lunch break around 6pm I drove it to bones daddy it did small stutter I was not going no more than 25mph

I always use NGK and this kind
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/vpower.asp?mode=nml
Old 06-10-2015

Seems like an odd set of circumstances.

Is the AC running when this happens? Could you be feeling the compressor cycle on and off?
Old 06-10-2015
Registered!!

Seems like an odd set of circumstances.

Is the AC running when this happens? Could you be feeling the compressor cycle on and off?
The ac never worked for this car and never bother fixing cost too much. I was wondering can alternator belt being loose can cause a stuttering?

Quick Reply: loud noise civic 2001