7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

loud noise civic 2001

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
contevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: loud noise civic 2001

Originally Posted by mikey1
huh?

how were you turning the crank using the timing belt pulley?

I use the camshaft pulley like seen on a video DIY to turn it to set at TDC
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by contevo
I use the camshaft pulley like seen on a video DIY to turn it to set at TDC
i hate to even ask where you saw that, my guess would be youtube, not a good source for auto repairs,

the engine should never be rotated using the camshaft,
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

so my options becoming very limit I went to lowes and had my friend with me he was going use his credit buy cordless impact wrench 360lb, and I got stop by lowe's employee.. he asked me what i was going use it for so can recommend me proper one, and as soon I said 19mm bolt he knew right off was for Honda, and I explain to him what happen. he said, u need a air impact wrench with at least 540lb or higher, my best bet take it to shop and get it off or have mobile mechanic has air impact wrench and come to you may charge you 70 to 100 bucks or more who knows... but still cheaper than towing it twice.

@mikey
i followed this DIY
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...diy-2-a-8.html
and video was from youtube because I didn't understand best place turn to set TDC

either way im going to be without a car for couple of week because i can't afford the extra expense at moment, that stupid move I made
things got more expensive... I did this job because I wanted to learn and they were quoting me expensive labor prices but now i understand why, this **** is complex...
Old 05-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and as soon I said 19mm bolt he knew right off was for Honda, and I explain to him what happen.
The Lowes employee probably did not comprehend what exactly you did. He did not pay attention to anything you said after he heard 'Honda'.
He probably thinks you are removing the bolt as it was tightened by the factory, but you are not.

If the electric impact won't take the bolt out, then return it for a refund?

Originally Posted by ezone
Impact gun
Wrench and hammer (poor mans impact)

Gain access to the flywheel teeth: maybe you can get access below the engine where one would remove the bolts for the torque converter, or maybe you can remove the starter.....

...then wedge a prybar into the ring gear or flywheel teeth so it locks the crankshaft from turning, then you can loosen the bolt (This will be a 2 person operation)
Have you not tried the wrench and hammer method yet?

Have you gained access to the flywheel teeth? Once you can lock the flywheel from moving, then you can use regular tools on the crank bolt.

There is no need to tow it, and really no need for the impact gun if you are willing to work a bit more as suggested above.
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

The Lowes employee probably did not comprehend what exactly you did. He did not pay attention to anything you said after he heard 'Honda'.
He probably thinks you are removing the bolt as it was tightened by the factory, but you are not.

If the electric impact won't take the bolt out, then return it for a refund?

Have you not tried the wrench and hammer method yet?

Have you gained access to the flywheel teeth? Once you can lock the flywheel from moving, then you can use regular tools on the crank bolt.

There is no need to tow it, and really no need for the impact gun if you are willing to work a bit more as suggested above.

yea that was my intention getting the gun and return it...
I have tried wrench method but the one I have:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ble_Wrench.jpg and has "10' " on it and didn't work out kept falling off whenever try hammer, so i don't think this is wrench you speak off? and flywheel i haven't attempt it yet is my last thing I'm going try. I just step away from my car for few hrs because I'm getting tension headaches...

I'm really grateful for all your input ezone...
Old 05-15-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Throw that away before you hurt yourself!

You need to be using a box-end wrench, or the box-end of a combination wrench so it can't fall off. Not an adjustable.

When I catch children in the shop trying to do everything with an adjustable, I've been known to help them out by throwing it away so they can't round off any more drainplugs.
Old 05-15-2015
Registered!!

Throw that away before you hurt yourself!

You need to be using a box-end wrench, or the box-end of a combination wrench so it can't fall off. Not an adjustable.

When I catch children in the shop trying to do everything with an adjustable, I've been known to help them out by throwing it away so they can't round off any more drainplugs.

Ahhhh, pay another vist to lowes pick one up a 19mm. I use the adjustable wrench because my gf had it in her trunk since I don't have 19mm wrench she gave me that one and only I have up to 12mm box-end wrench.
Old 05-15-2015

Got a Sears or K-mart handy? They both are supposed to carry Craftsman brand
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Ahhhh, pay another vist to lowes pick one up a 19mm. I use the adjustable wrench because my gf had it in her trunk since I don't have 19mm wrench she gave me that one and only I have up to 12mm box-end wrench.
dude, you need to get yourself some basic tools before you attempt a job like this, the bare minimum would be a metric wrench set from 6mm to 19mm, and a socket set with the same sizes containing standard and deep sockets
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

so true.....i agree
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

I start hammering and crankshaft turns. i just cant believe this thing gotten that tight
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

I start hammering and crankshaft turns. i just cant believe this thing gotten that tight
what do you mean?

what are you hammering on?

i cant tell anything by that pic
Old 05-16-2015

Try it from underneath with the wrench hanging down? More swinging room LOL

Get the flywheel teeth exposed and wedge it so it can't turn, then you can bust that bolt loose.
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

Try it from underneath with the wrench hanging down? More swinging room LOL

Get the flywheel teeth exposed and wedge it so it can't turn, then you can bust that bolt loose.

try from the bottom no room :-/

I'm borrow a impact wrench 320lb cordless from a friend in little bit try it Im crossing my finger... but wont hold my breath.

my last option is flywheel is there guide or diy or where do i access the flywheel teeth on the civics??
Old 05-16-2015

You are using the wrong end of the wrench, what you are doing now is barely better than using the adjustable.

The box end of the wrench is the strongest. The open end can spread the jaws apart under pressure.

I'm borrow a impact wrench 320lb cordless from a friend in little bit try it Im crossing my finger... but wont hold my breath.
Do this if it's available.

my last option is flywheel is there guide or diy or where do i access the flywheel teeth on the civics??
No guide here that I've seen.

Try the impact gun first.

If that does not work.......Look in your manual about how to remove your transmission. Look for the part where it tells how to remove the shift cable linkage and inspection cover so you can take out the bolts for the torque converter. Once you have the cable and inspection cover off you should be able to look in there and see the teeth of the ring gear and be able to figure out how to wedge it from moving with a big screwdriver or prybar.

Get help --maybe from your buddy with the impact gun-- before you damage something though..

HTH
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

You are using the wrong end of the wrench, what you are doing now is barely better than using the adjustable.

The box end of the wrench is the strongest. The open end can spread the jaws apart under pressure.

Do this if it's available.
No guide here that I've seen.

Try the impact gun first.

If that does not work.......Look in your manual about how to remove your transmission. Look for the part where it tells how to remove the shift cable linkage and inspection cover so you can take out the bolts for the torque converter. Once you have the cable and inspection cover off you should be able to look in there and see the teeth of the ring gear and be able to figure out how to wedge it from moving with a big screwdriver or prybar.

Get help --maybe from your buddy with the impact gun-- before you damage something though..

HTH
Well try first attempt with impact wrench but i think battery is weak so im letting it charge

can access this flywheel by removing the starter?

Last edited by contevo; 05-16-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2015

can access this flywheel by removing the starter?
Yes.
Old 05-16-2015
Registered!!

Got it off!!!! After let the impact gun charge
Old 05-16-2015

Yay!

And don't let it happen again LOL
Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

Yay!

And don't let it happen again LOL
well follow everything what diy said, I turn 10 times counter-clockwise making sure the belt was on right and TDC, and I put everything back together. I crank the car, and 2 or 3 second and die doesn't start and I hear starter that's it. I close the hood and put my tools away 3 days of this and I lost the battle. I'm very disappointed in my self....
Old 05-17-2015

making sure the belt was on right and TDC, and I put everything back together. I crank the car, and 2 or 3 second and die
Got codes now?

Runs for 2 seconds then shuts off: are you positive the cam gear is in correct time with the crank?
If it is out of time by a couple teeth the PCM can shut it down at 2 seconds.
Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

Got codes now?

Runs for 2 seconds then shuts off: are you positive the cam gear is in correct time with the crank?
If it is out of time by a couple teeth the PCM can shut it down at 2 seconds.
it did when first started than die but now won't start at all, all hear is the starter and I left upper timing belt cover off i told my girl start it and you can see timing belt turn. can you turn the camshaft pulley and crankshaft individually to set it on marks if off not by much?

I can't work on it because my bastard manager has me 1 to 10pm whole week until Thursdays and Friday, I can't call in anymore. On my day off I'm going try again I'm just praying I didn't bent valve.
Old 05-17-2015

The top timing cover is still off?
Just see if it is correctly timed or not.

HEY Is the cam sensor plugged in?
Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

The top timing cover is still off?
Just see if it is correctly timed or not.

HEY Is the cam sensor plugged in?
Yea cam Sensor plug in. So to check i look at the crankshaft pulley mark is point up ? Or do i have turn the pulley to mark up ? Here is a pic
I marked up with black marker
Old 05-17-2015

I cannot tell much from your pic.

Rotate the crank pulley until UP is upward on the cam gear,

Name:  D9VpD8j.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  787.3 KB

and the single ignition timing 0 degree mark (white) on the harmonic balancer is aligned with the pointers on the timing cover.

Name:  N1mFOtH.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  805.4 KB

Now inspect where the marks are on the cam gear.
The slash mark on each side of the gear should be aligned with the upper horizontal surface of the cylinder head.

The parting line between head and valve cover is used in my pic here:

Name:  lzv7mme.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  779.2 KB

I use a staightedge and check alignment of both of the slash marks..... a few steel rulers are always handy in my toolboxes.

HTH
Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

I cannot tell much from your pic.

Rotate the crank pulley until UP is upward on the cam gear,

and the single ignition timing 0 degree mark (white) on the harmonic balancer is aligned with the pointers on the timing cover.

Now inspect where the marks are on the cam gear.
The slash mark on each side of the gear should be aligned with the upper horizontal surface of the cylinder head.

The parting line between head and valve cover is used in my pic here:

I use a staightedge and check alignment of both of the slash marks..... a few steel rulers are always handy in my toolboxes.

HTH
yea the ruler sure would helped a lot why didn't I think of it :-|
so do I have to take everything part again to rotate cam gear back to up by counter-clockwise rotation? balancer, I don't think my cover has that point thing I see on the pic and the white marking on the balancer did you put there or came with the balancer?
Old 05-17-2015

yea the ruler sure would helped a lot why didn't I think of it :-|
LOL

so do I have to take everything part again to rotate cam gear back to up by counter-clockwise rotation?
Only if it is not correctly timed.

And if you have been rotating the engine using the cam gear turning it counterclockwise, that action alone can cause it to jump time.

balancer, I don't think my cover has that point thing I see on the pic
It should, look closely.

and the white marking on the balancer did you put there or came with the balancer?
Factory marked it there, not me.
Old 05-18-2015
Registered!!

LOL

Only if it is not correctly timed.

And if you have been rotating the engine using the cam gear turning it counterclockwise, that action alone can cause it to jump time.

It should, look closely.

Factory marked it there, not me.
At one point I try keep the cam gear in place with my Ratchet and while I had my 19mm socket and extention bar and breaker bar turning it counter-clockwise trying break 19mm bolt lose(before impact wrench) didn't work to well because would tighten the cam gear bolt tighter. every time try to turn cam gear trying to turn it to set it to "up" the cam gear bolt get loose... when I finally got the 19mm bolt off with impact wrench and I redo the belt and made sure the marks were suppose to be(i wont know for sure till i get chance to recheck my work) but this time around im going get the ruler and double check everything, and I have someone coming over thurdays to guide me, he also think my timing is off. So I'm crossing my finger this is my problem not bent valve because i know i can squeeze another year or two till I can afford my civic 2009 coupe si... this civic 2001 has serve me well for 3 years now I got it for 2300 had 230k when got it now is 240k on it and 4 owners so has been through alot hands...

Last edited by contevo; 05-18-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-18-2015
Registered!!

At one point I try keep the cam gear in place with my Ratchet and while I had my 19mm socket and extention bar and breaker bar turning it counter-clockwise trying break 19mm bolt lose(before impact wrench) didn't work to well because would tighten the cam gear bolt tighter.
you are lucky you didn't strip the cam bolt threads right out of the cam!

doing this could also damage (or strip) the teeth off the timing belt.....i wouldnt even use that belt anymore, i would replace it
Old 05-19-2015
Registered!!

before work

the ruler say im tdc

but crankshaft different story you view from different angle looks like you are tdc but if you view it directly down looks off

i took two pic

Quick Reply: loud noise civic 2001