7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

headlight not working on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greenbackz is an unknown quantity at this point
headlight not working on passenger side

I have been using my hid kit for a while, using wiring harness so it gets power directly from the battery.

i have a road test coming up soon and i want to change back to stock headlights just for the road test and then go back to my hids, but when i unhook the hids and plug the stock bulb in to the stock connector it doesn't turn on at all, no high or low. the bulb works perfectly fine on the driver's side so i know the bulb is fine.

how is it possible that the stock connector on the passenger side will not power the stock bulb, but when the hid harness is plugged in there, the hids work fine? how would i go about testing the stock connector with a multimeter to see if it is getting the proper voltage on all pins?

Last edited by greenbackz; 02-11-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: headlight not working on passenger side

are the pins free of dirt and corrosion ???
Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
are the pins free of dirt and corrosion ???
as far as i can see, yes. the hid harness still works when plugged into that plug, it's just the stock bulb that won't work now. so there must be some kinda of power getting through. perhaps enough to trigger the relay in the hid harness but not enough to power the stock bulb??
Old 02-11-2015
Registered!!

i want to test it with a multimeter tonight, just not sure which wire is which. does anyone have a diagram of what each of the 3 pins is? i've read different things in different forums. one place said its a switching ground, one said it's a switching positive.. im confused lol
Old 02-11-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Tested myself and labeled a pigtail waaaaaaay back when. Looking at the pin side of the plug with the horizontal pin on top, ground switched with the left pin as the +12VDC, horizontal is the low ground, right pin is the high ground.

Name:  SDC13090.jpg
Views: 2316
Size:  71.1 KB

Old 02-12-2015
Registered!!

ok so i tested it and with a multimeter and it seems the connectors for both the passenger side and driver's side are getting the same reading as eachother.. and match what they should be according to riceboy.

when on headlights are on (low) i got 12V on the horizontal pin only. when on high that 12V was now on the right pin only.. so is that not working the way it should? or am i missing something?

i am still stumped as to why the stock bulb will not light up on the passenger side but on the drivers side that exact bulb will work both high and low.. but the multimeter test everything was giving the readings it should have, or i'm doing the testing wrong somehow?
Old 02-12-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

+12VDC to horizontal pin should give you a 12VDC reading when the low beam is on, and 0 when the high beam in on
+12VDC to left pin should give you a 12VDC reading when the high beam is on, and 0 when the low beam is on.

If that's what your multimeter is reading, then it's switching fine. I got a bit confused by the second bit you posted up. lol.

As far as your passenger side not working, try switching the ballasts. If the driver's side doesn't light up, but the passenger side does after that, it's a bad ballast. If it still works the same, then double and triple check all your connections, make sure they're making good contact.
Old 02-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
+12VDC to horizontal pin should give you a 12VDC reading when the low beam is on, and 0 when the high beam in on
+12VDC to left pin should give you a 12VDC reading when the high beam is on, and 0 when the low beam is on.

If that's what your multimeter is reading, then it's switching fine. I got a bit confused by the second bit you posted up. lol.

As far as your passenger side not working, try switching the ballasts. If the driver's side doesn't light up, but the passenger side does after that, it's a bad ballast. If it still works the same, then double and triple check all your connections, make sure they're making good contact.
wow nvm apparently i don't know how to use a multimeter (may have been that wacky tobacky). tested it today with someone who actually knows electronics. there was no 12V on the high beam wire when on highs like i thought there was. of all things it was the FUSE!! problem solved!
that should have been the first thing i checked i feel like a retard :S

definitely gonna research my electronics starting with how to use a multimeter properly

Last edited by greenbackz; 02-13-2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2015
Administrator
Administrator