7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

switch to synthetic oil at 108k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mscir is an unknown quantity at this point
switch to synthetic oil at 108k?

I just bought a 2001 Civic EX with 108k miles on it. It doesn't appear to burn oil but I'm only half way through my first tank. Can I switch to synthetic without worrying about it causing leaks, including covering the clutch with oil mist from a rear main seal leak? Would I have to improve the oil filtration system, and if so does anyone have parts they recommend?
TIA,
MIke
Old 01-18-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: switch to synthetic oil at 108k?

personally i dont see the point in synthetic oil in these engines, you will never have an oil related failure unless you let your oil level get ridiculously low,

your current oil seems to be doing just fine,

however, if you are the type of person who has a lot of money to burn, and cant find another way to do so, then go for it,
Old 01-18-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

try?

if you notice something like missing oil, run a high mileage oil instead?
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I switched to synthetic oil in my 2001 Civic at 90k and now have 150k miles with no problems. There are no guarantees. I have been doing 5,000 mile oil changes which is more frequent than I would usually do with syn but it is also cleaning the engine. There is no need to upgrade the filtration system but I did cut open the oil filter the first few times to make sure it was not being overloaded.
Old 01-19-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

I have an 01 LX 5MT with 166K. I bought it from the original owner in April '14. I changed the oil first thing, with Honda 5w-20 (I think its a synthetic blend) and 5K later I changed it with Pennzoil 5w-20.
I just changed it Saturday with Valvoline High Mileage Syn Blend. I reset the maint indicator afterward.

My engine doesn't burn oil.

I just buy whatever name brand 5w-20 that is reasonably priced at Wally World. I change it when the maintenance indicator comes on.
I try to neither neglect, nor over do it.
Old 01-20-2015
Registered!!

exiled1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go with High Millage/ Synthetic Blend A little cheaper and you get the benefits of high Millage oil. I run Mobil 1 only in the summer. I live in PHX. I also use the Fram Tough Guard.
Old 01-21-2015
Registered!!

Jaybird85 is an unknown quantity at this point

I swear by synthetic and the greater change interval makes up for the cost difference. Effectively synthetic is cheaper per mile. If you do go synthetic it is never advised to flip back and forth. As far as what exiled said, fram is pretty good. I am not sure what he is referring to about only running mobil 1 in the summer time. I would run it year around and if you live in a super hot climate like Phoenix where I live, I would simply run a slightly heavier weight in the summer to maintain oil pressure if you notice any issues thereof.
Old 01-22-2015
Registered!!

Redneck_cdn will become famous soon enough

The Maintenance indicator light on the dash on my 04 comes on after ~ 15000kms (9300 Miles). A little long for even full synthetic oil IMO. The onboard oil monitor on my Flex with Mobile 1 Synthetic gives me ~ 8-9000km before oil is down to ~20% rating.

Oil changes are the cheapest maintenance you can do for your engine, any oil is better than no oil, wally world sale oil + filter and change it every 5000kms keeps the engine clean.
Old 01-22-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

I changed to synthetic at about 60k without issue. Didn't bother considering the supposed 'advantages' of synthetic except for the longer running duration and less frequent changes. I still change it well before the end of its cycle anyway. Always go with the Honda factory filters! Why not? They are less than 10 bucks and are designed specifically for a Honda engine... don't try to beat the engineers and save pennies!

Why would anyone use that high mileage crap either? If you don't have any oil leaks then don't bother. All it does it swell the gaskets so you don't get leaks and why would you want to do that anyway?? If it is leaking, change the gasket.... If you start using it you have to use it every or you may develop leaks when the swelling agent is released back into the oil.
Old 01-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i don't know about canada but non japanese north american honda filters are junky cardboard filters.
Old 01-23-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Reverb2005
I changed to synthetic at about 60k without issue. Didn't bother considering the supposed 'advantages' of synthetic except for the longer running duration and less frequent changes. I still change it well before the end of its cycle anyway. Always go with the Honda factory filters! Why not? They are less than 10 bucks and are designed specifically for a Honda engine... don't try to beat the engineers and save pennies!

Why would anyone use that high mileage crap either? If you don't have any oil leaks then don't bother. All it does it swell the gaskets so you don't get leaks and why would you want to do that anyway?? If it is leaking, change the gasket.... If you start using it you have to use it every or you may develop leaks when the swelling agent is released back into the oil.
Old 01-23-2015
Registered!!

Reverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of lightReverb2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i don't know about canada but non japanese north american honda filters are junky cardboard filters.

Hrmmm, I 'think' they are the 'for-real' Jap ones. All blue, Honda stamped on the top. I think I remember seeing that they are manufactured in Japan... I'll make sure to check next time!
Old 01-23-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

New user...1 post..about oil = troll

ban the user...delete the thread.

if the OP had taken 1 minute to search the forum or the internet they would have seen the question has been answered thousands of times.