7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Engine R&R Question

Old 11-21-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve340 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Engine R&R Question

Hi, I have a 2001 Civic EX, I have to change the engine, Is it possible to remove the engine out the top, without removing anything else, or do you drop the entire assy from the bottom?

Thank you in advance.

Steve
Old 11-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Engine R&R Question

out the top on these vehicles is the normal procedure as far as i know
Old 11-25-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Manual says pull it out the bottom. I've pulled and reinstalled my engine from the top with the tranny still attached, no less. So yes, you can. Just make sure you don't pinch or crush any lines or anything on the way in or out.
Old 12-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Depends if its auto or manual. You can pull the engine out the top by itself with an auto, but you have to disconnect the convertor etc from the engine. Both would come out, but it would definitely be a fight. Don't know about a manual, would probably have to disconnect the pressure plate from the flywheel while in the car. IF you can get the car high enough it actually isn't that bad to take the whole thing out the bottom. I personally would set the engine/trans/sub-frame assembly on jack stands and raise the car off it, this would require a lift or several guys to lift the car up and over the assembly. Be aware though, if the sub-frame comes off you need an alignment.
Old 12-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all-lude is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would you need an alignment if you drop the subframe? I suppose it would be a good idea but definitely not necessary. I did an auto to manual swap and at the same time replaced the engine. I removed the hood and pulled it thru the top. The auto was tight coming out, had to readjust the engine angle half way to clear the ABS unit.

But I replaced the subframe after the engine was removed, and I did not get an alignment after... Theory being, alignment was already set prior to removal, as long as you don't adjust or replace tie-rods, alignment will stay the same