7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wiring harness locking down the valve cover!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WonderV-76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wiring harness locking down the valve cover!!

I have a 2001 Civic DX. Let me preface with the fact that I am winging this. I know I need to replace the TDC/Crank Sensor, I know where this is, and I also know it is WAY more complicated to get to than it should be. That being said.

I tried to get to it last weekend but can't seem to get the wiring harness free enough to move it over and away from the valve cover so the valve cover can be removed. Others say to unclip the spark plugs, remove this clamp, wiggle it here, and swoop it over the air intake. This has NOT been my experience! The thing seems to wrap sadistically all around the block then is anchored in a couple spots within rigid aluminum tubing that ain't moving.

When you stop laughing at me, can anyone please give me an idea of what I must be missing? A photo or diagram or where to disconnect would be amazing!

If not, I am sincerely close to cutting a hole in the cover over the sensor and repairing it with duct tape after the switch has been made. I can't be the first one to go to these lengths, I am sure!
Old 11-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Wiring harness locking down the valve cover!!

unplug all 4 coils and remove them,

after that you can unclip the plastic covering the wires,

i leave the wires connected to the alternator, when i remove the alt i sit it on top of the rad, at this point all the wires should be clear of the valve cover and kind of over the exhaust manifold

Last edited by mikey1; 11-11-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wiring harness locking down the valve cover!!

If only trying to get the timing cover off, I don't always completely remove the valve cover. I just get it raised high enough to slip the timing cover out of the lip.