7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2001 EX manual oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 EX manual oil consumption

Originally Posted by usajags84
Oops missed that part I wonder if there was some unresolved bottom end damage not just rings?

Bottom end problems (lube and bearings) aren't common with Hondas.....

Googled an article http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/8353400/indycar-engines-role-play-power-ryan-hunter-reay-title-fight

Quote:

There have been more engine failures so far in 2012 than there were during the entire six-year period from 2006-11 when Honda supplied the entire IndyCar Series field with identical powerplants.

According to figures supplied by Honda Performance Development, Honda suffered a total of 11 engine failures in almost 1.2 million miles of competition from 2006 to 2011. In that time, there were just six in-race failures in 491,000 miles of action, and four of those came in 2006, Honda's first year as sole supplier.

That's pretty F'n reliable in my book.

Ezone couldn't he take a block from a non vtech from a bone yard and use his head??
Yeah, compression will be a little lower though. OP was wanting to get a used engine and go through it, then stuff it in this car. You can get used engines for 500 or so if you look.

If one has plenty of free time and tools, pulling this one apart would be easy enough LOL. Inspect and rering if possible.

Originally Posted by mikey1
at this point i would advise you to just ditch this car, in my opinion its no longer worth the time, hassle or money,

put the money you would be spending on repairs toward a new(er) car
That choice is up to the OP.
......Seems like the previous owner already did this to the OP.
Old 10-13-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Nice statistics, I've seen that used in a Honda commercial. I've read articles over the years that Honda considers itself an engine mfg first and foremost. But for those racing engines, there is a little more to it. Honda did build those engines from 2007 -11. But to be fair, the Indycar Honda engines were designed and built by Ilmor Engineering. In 2005, Mario Illien concluded a deal to purchase the Special Projects part of the company in partnership with Roger Penske, which was under contract with Honda Performance Development to jointly design, develop and produce IndyCar engines. They produced the engines until 2007 when Honda took over production until 2011. On a sad note Honda designed and produced its own Indy racing engines in the early 90s. Bobby Rahal was running close to the front at Mid Ohio in 94 when the engine let go. Watch this video at 46:35 seconds.
Bobby has a corporate meltdown about his Honda engine. Needless to say he was using Ilmor engines after this race.
Ilmor is two engineers that left Cosworth and started their own company (backed by Roger Penske). They sell the rights to name the engine. Before their engines became Honda's they were Mercedes. Before that they were Chevy V8s that won 64 of 78 races including the 1987 Indy 500.

Last edited by bsmiley; 10-14-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-13-2014
Registered!!

usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not seen a bad Honda engine! Just bad owners!
Now transmissions in our 7th gens not so much!

I was thinking picking up a used non vtech down here is about $250, vtechs about 400-500
He could probably get his car up and going pretty cheap with some elbow grease and a weekend then slowly save up and do the long block as he wants. It would provide him with some transportation and maybe he could get his current block checked and reringed
My thoughts on bottom end problems were if there was a bent connecting rod causing uneven cylinder ware leading to the consumption

Last edited by usajags84; 10-13-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2014
Registered!!

I wouldn't ditch the ride!
Old 10-13-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

if there was a bent connecting rod causing uneven cylinder ware leading to the consumption

This one (*) probably made one hell of a noise just before the engine got very very quiet:
Name:  RWokUc7.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  860.9 KB

* Not from a Honda
Old 10-13-2014
Registered!!

* Not from a Honda[/QUOTE]

Old 10-13-2014

* Not from a Honda

That came out of a 13 Dodge Challenger that was driven by ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bodVVtqmbZE#t=2m15s

Actually, it made it about halfway through a flooded underpass.

I'll have to grab a pic of the piston sometime. The top was all that was left intact, the rest was shattered.

EDIT: Damn, it didn't link right. Oh well, you gotta click it.
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

RSKtakR is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont want to ditch the car and don't plan on it. .If I wasn't mechanically inclined I would ditch it though. This is my wife's car, and I have a new F150 Ecoboost and VW Jetta that she can drive if downtime is longer than expected. I was wanting to just leave the motor as it is now, hoping the additive and slightly thicker oil might solve the oil consumption problems until spring at least, then I will have picked up a good long block from a junkyard and have any machine work done to it if need be, swap it in, then get the current short block totally rebuilt and sitting on a stand just in case.. sounds like lots of work, but I have the room and tools to do everything, other than short block assembly and machine work.
In a perfect world I would like to find a cheap low mileage identical long block in good condition and just swap it in all together. I'm more afraid of pulling the block and head apart and then having to get them back together correctly because I have never had a Honda motor apart, but that's nothing a book/internet cant fix I suppose. Pulling the complete motor out doesn't worry me a bit though and could be done in a weekend I'm sure.
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

I have not seen a bad Honda engine! Just bad owners!
Now transmissions in our 7th gens not so much!

I was thinking picking up a used non vtech down here is about $250, vtechs about 400-500
He could probably get his car up and going pretty cheap with some elbow grease and a weekend then slowly save up and do the long block as he wants. It would provide him with some transportation and maybe he could get his current block checked and reringed
My thoughts on bottom end problems were if there was a bent connecting rod causing uneven cylinder ware leading to the consumption
Where is "down here" ? The only place I have looked for a replacement EX 1.7l long block is ebay, and there is one on there that states 45k miles for $699 shipped with a 90 day warranty. But it also says its a JDM so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not? There is a u-wrench -it here local to me that I thought about going to look around yet but I don't think there is any warranty for motors or not.
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

Also is there a "test pipe" or something that resembles/replaces a cat converter for these cars without having to buy some aftermarket exhaust? I think the P0420 code would be for the cat since its probably shot from the oil being burnt and since the oil might continue to be burnt the same amount (but less hopefully) I don't want to put another converter in only to get it ruined again and a real Honda one isn't cheap at all. The cheaper aftermarket cats seem to fail after 1500 miles or so from what I have read. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this? We have vehicle inspections in Missouri so everything has to be there VISUALLY, but no sniff tests. I will also replace both O2 sensors if I can replace the cat somehow. If nothing else, I would just knock out all of the insides of the current converter, but then would I need spacers/non fouler or something on the downstream O2 wouldn't I to trick the ECU? So a factory converter with everything knocked out and a non fouler on the downstream O2 is what I'm thinking. Would this be the cheapest option?

Edit** I am also thinking of doing a sea foam treatment as well, I THINK one of you suggested that in this thread somewhere? However, doing that will clean the cylinders of any of the additive that I just added as well as any carbon on the rings that MIGHT be holding the rings stuck right? (if that is the problem) but is it possible that doing this could just make a current problem worse? Opinions?

Last edited by RSKtakR; 10-14-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2014

Originally Posted by RSKtakR
Where is "down here" ?
IIRC he's someplace warm like Alabama.

The only place I have looked for a replacement EX 1.7l long block is ebay,
Check this site

www.car-part.com

Also is there a "test pipe" or something that resembles/replaces a cat converter for these cars without having to buy some aftermarket exhaust? I think the P0420 code would be for the cat since its probably shot from the oil being burnt and since the oil might continue to be burnt the same amount (but less hopefully) I don't want to put another converter in only to get it ruined again and a real Honda one isn't cheap at all. The cheaper aftermarket cats seem to fail after 1500 miles or so from what I have read. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this? We have vehicle inspections in Missouri so everything has to be there VISUALLY, but no sniff tests.

I will also replace both O2 sensors if I can replace the cat somehow. If nothing else, I would just knock out all of the insides of the current converter, but then would I need spacers/non fouler or something on the downstream O2 wouldn't I to trick the ECU? So a factory converter with everything knocked out and a non fouler on the downstream O2 is what I'm thinking. Would this be the cheapest option?
If you gotta pass a visual --- but no sniffer, then you won't be able to use a test pipe. (Nor a fencepost. Same difference.)

A hollowed out cat would still look like a cat though....but you would need to use the defouler (which probably would be noticed right away on a visual check).......... or you may be able to find an electronic O2 fooler circuit to wire in.

If it were me, I'd leave the original cat in place even though it is causing codes. (The cars computer will red flag a cat long before most state emissions tests would flag it.)
At least it can still clean up the exhaust even if it isn't quite up to snuff for the cars computer.
And run the defouler (if it would pass visual) or an electronic fooler.

I'd leave that cat on there until it clogs up and causes a loss of performance...or until such time as the oil consumption problem is solved and you can replace the cat correctly.

Edit** I am also thinking of doing a sea foam treatment as well, I THINK one of you suggested that in this thread somewhere? However, doing that will clean the cylinders of any of the additive that I just added as well as any carbon on the rings that MIGHT be holding the rings stuck right? (if that is the problem) but is it possible that doing this could just make a current problem worse? Opinions?
You already have something soaking in the cylinders? What are they soaking in?

Or did you mean the oil additive?
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

[quote=ezone;4672678]IIRC he's someplace warm like Alabama.

Roll Tide! Yes I am in Alabama.

I may and I mean MAY have a cat that would fit your car.
I am currently stipping a 2003 LX with Swapped Vtech, the Vtech I could have bought for $350 with ECU but didnt because I already have two really good running 1.7s. I am going to ask the owner of the motor tomorrow if she wants the manifold or what she wants for it.

However, your cat may not be clogged up it could just be the o2 sensors crudded up. I have heard of people cleaning them with laqure thinner or soapy water. ( I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS nor do I know if it works)

NOTE down here in Bama there is not a sniff test, there is not a visual inspection. If its registered and insured its on the road. (and that's even questionable)

If you want I will ask her the bottom line on the motor.

The motor does run with no cels great but the tranny was shot. However,
1. I have no clue how many miles are on the engine but it runs good and doesnt smoke. Car has 225k on the body, the motor was put in 7-10k miles ago and the auto went out
2. I know the motor was put in by a good shop, they even swapped in the harness (complete did not splice)

I dont know much about the JDM engine scene, I did help a friend put one ihis 6th gen and it was complete and ran fine.

Last edited by usajags84; 10-14-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2014

I believe OP has an EX, so the cat would be underneath instead of built into the manifold.

Does the swapped LX you're talking about have the cat underneath, or is it part of the manifold?
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

Check this site

www.car-part.com

If you gotta pass a visual --- but no sniffer, then you won't be able to use a test pipe. (Nor a fencepost. Same difference.)

A hollowed out cat would still look like a cat though....but you would need to use the defouler (which probably would be noticed right away on a visual check).......... or you may be able to find an electronic O2 fooler circuit to wire in.

If it were me, I'd leave the original cat in place even though it is causing codes. (The cars computer will red flag a cat long before most state emissions tests would flag it.)
At least it can still clean up the exhaust even if it isn't quite up to snuff for the cars computer.
And run the defouler (if it would pass visual) or an electronic fooler.

I'd leave that cat on there until it clogs up and causes a loss of performance...or until such time as the oil consumption problem is solved and you can replace the cat correctly.

You already have something soaking in the cylinders? What are they soaking in?

Or did you mean the oil additive?
Nothing soaking in the cylinders, I was just contemplating it but didn't know if there was a chance it would make things worse or not, and I would only do that IF the current oil treatment and 5w30 max life I just put in Sunday morning doesn't work. Have probably 130 miles on it since the oil change and adding that additive and the oil still shows on the same place on the dipstick.... so far.
Old 10-14-2014

Filling cylinders and soaking in a solvent was one possible step in (hopefully) getting rings unstuck. No guarantees.

But.....I'm inclined to say to keep driving and establish for sure just how long it really takes to lose a quart of oil before trying anything else.

So you have a starting point and a baseline so you can tell later on if it's oil consumption is improving or not.
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

[QUOTE=usajags84;4672685]

Roll Tide! Yes I am in Alabama.

I may and I mean MAY have a cat that would fit your car.
I am currently stipping a 2003 LX with Swapped Vtech, the Vtech I could have bought for $350 with ECU but didnt because I already have two really good running 1.7s. I am going to ask the owner of the motor tomorrow if she wants the manifold or what she wants for it.

However, your cat may not be clogged up it could just be the o2 sensors crudded up. I have heard of people cleaning them with laqure thinner or soapy water. ( I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS nor do I know if it works)

NOTE down here in Bama there is not a sniff test, there is not a visual inspection. If its registered and insured its on the road. (and that's even questionable)

If you want I will ask her the bottom line on the motor.

The motor does run with no cels great but the tranny was shot. However,
1. I have no clue how many miles are on the engine but it runs good and doesnt smoke. Car has 225k on the body, the motor was put in 7-10k miles ago and the auto went out
2. I know the motor was put in by a good shop, they even swapped in the harness (complete did not splice)

I dont know much about the JDM engine scene, I did help a friend put one ihis 6th gen and it was complete and ran fine.

Alabama.. lol I used to live down in Mobile and just moved back up to Missouri about 10yrs ago, still have some friends down there that I talk to often. Yes I have an EX and my cat is down under the car, not on the exh manifold. I will have to pass on the motor for now unless I can use that short block (since mine is an EX) and if the price is RETARDED cheap, and I would just drive my truck down to get it probably. If I need to pick one up I wont be doing it until this winter sometime probably. I might just get bored and soak the converter bolts in PB blaster overnight this next weekend if I get a chance and pull the converter off to see if its clogged full of ****. The wife says the car feels like it doesn't want to go anywhere, but she is use to driving a gas hog SUV that goes when you floor it and the civic just isn't like that. I drove the car and it feels just fine to me other then an odd idle surge/drop at times, (idles up to around 1500, hangs there for a bit then drops down to 600-700 and car has a slight vibration and the idle seems low) but I'm not worried about that at this point. As far as the JDM engine I don't know what the difference is if any, the motor is in CA so I'm not sure how "JDM" it is.. I'm not trying to build a friggen race car here, just a reliable, economic civic, that will last a while. I just don't care to buy a long block like that, then find out that it has different sensors, and the ECU that the car has wont run that "JDM" motor correctly.. I guess I will just email them for ***** and grins and find out.
Old 10-14-2014
Registered!!

Filling cylinders and soaking in a solvent was one possible step in (hopefully) getting rings unstuck. No guarantees.

But.....I'm inclined to say to keep driving and establish for sure just how long it really takes to lose a quart of oil before trying anything else.

So you have a starting point and a baseline so you can tell later on if it's oil consumption is improving or not.
As of right now, this^^ is my plan unless you guys suggest otherwise. I wont worry about soaking the cylinders unless the current idea fails.
Old 10-14-2014

and pull the converter off to see if its clogged full of ****.
There's far easier ways to determine this.

#1, a P0420 code does not mean the cat is clogged. P0420 only has to do with the cats ability to store and release Oxygen during operation.

#2, a clogged cat will hinder performance. (Think of jogging around the block while trying to breathe through a coffee stir straw!)
It would be a restriction that would be noticed during times when maximum flow is demanded (WOT+Redline) in the beginning stages of the clogging. (later stages might include limiting top speed, and go all the way to not allowing the engine to start, if someone ignores the other symptoms long enough.)

There are actual ways to measure this, like a backpressure test or vacuum drop test, but the "floor it and see if it loses power" check is pretty damn effective as long as the trans doesn't crap out LOL.
Old 10-15-2014
Registered!!

There's far easier ways to determine this.

#1, a P0420 code does not mean the cat is clogged. P0420 only has to do with the cats ability to store and release Oxygen during operation.

#2, a clogged cat will hinder performance. (Think of jogging around the block while trying to breathe through a coffee stir straw!)
It would be a restriction that would be noticed during times when maximum flow is demanded (WOT+Redline) in the beginning stages of the clogging. (later stages might include limiting top speed, and go all the way to not allowing the engine to start, if someone ignores the other symptoms long enough.)

There are actual ways to measure this, like a backpressure test or vacuum drop test, but the "floor it and see if it loses power" check is pretty damn effective as long as the trans doesn't crap out LOL.
ok so maybe don't worry about pulling the cat off then and just put a fouler on the downstream O2 to stop the CE light? $6 seems worth it because we hate that damn light lol
Old 10-15-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

We have vehicle inspections in Missouri so everything has to be there VISUALLY, but no sniff tests.
I don't know about the entire state but in the St Louis area of Missouri they connect to the ODBC and the car can't have any codes.
Old 10-15-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pjb3
I don't know about the entire state but in the St Louis area of Missouri they connect to the ODBC and the car can't have any codes.

I've never seen that done around the KC area..yet lol
Old 10-15-2014

ok so maybe don't worry about pulling the cat off then and just put a fouler on the downstream O2 to stop the CE light? $6 seems worth it because we hate that damn light lol
If you think it would pass a visual inspection.
Old 10-15-2014
Registered!!

Got the motor out tonight
The cat is on the manifold?? But the motor is a d17a2!
I have several pictures of our pull if anyone wants to see!
Feeling confused!
Old 10-15-2014

Got the motor out tonight
The cat is on the manifold?? But the motor is a d17a2!
I have several pictures of our pull if anyone wants to see!
Feeling confused!
You SAID it's a swapped LX, right? That sounds like an LX exhaust manifold on an EX engine (or head). No biggie, it works. How about the wiring for the O2 sensors, have they been hacked or use extensions?? Wiring for the VTEC? Which PCM does it have?

A2 head should have the VTEC solenoid.
Is the oil pan cast aluminum (EX) or stamped steel (LX)?
Old 10-15-2014
Registered!!

You SAID it's a swapped LX, right? That sounds like an LX exhaust manifold on an EX engine (or head). No biggie, it works. How about the wiring for the O2 sensors, have they been hacked or use extensions?? Wiring for the VTEC? Which PCM does it have?

A2 head should have the VTEC solenoid.
Is the oil pan cast aluminum (EX) or stamped steel (LX)?
Had the vtech solenoid with blue wire also has cast aluminum oil pan...
I didn't realize you could use a vtech engine with a non vtech exhaust

Wiring doesn't look hacked on but I didn't notice if the 02 sensors were extended factory ends on them.
Old 10-15-2014
Registered!!

The PCM was swapped for the vtech
Old 10-15-2014

Had the vtech solenoid with blue wire also has cast aluminum oil pan...
EX.

And hey, there's no "h" in VTEC.
I didn't realize you could use a vtech engine with a non vtech exhaust
Sure. The engine doesn't care, it will still run.

Wiring doesn't look hacked on but I didn't notice if the 02 sensors were extended factory ends on them.

The rear O2 sensor connector on an EX is on the backside of the engine, whereas on an LX it's up in the front next to the front sensors' connector...... and there is no VTEC wiring on an LX engine harness.

Though if the EX harness was removed from the EX engine during the swap, it's probably not tough to unwrap enough to just move the rear O2 sensor connector around to the front and retape everything.
Just thinking out loud here LOL
Old 10-16-2014
Registered!!

So look.. is she going to sell me that D17A2 short block for $100 or WHAT?? lol
Old 10-16-2014
Registered!!

So look.. is she going to sell me that D17A2 short block for $100 or WHAT?? lol
Yeah I'll get back to you on that

I sent you a pm

Last edited by usajags84; 10-16-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-16-2014
Registered!!

We famous for our mud
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	87145  

Quick Reply: 2001 EX manual oil consumption