7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new owner, funny noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
petept is an unknown quantity at this point
new owner, funny noise

Hello all, just picked up a 2001 civic 5 speed with 140,000. Great shape but I hear a little cluncking sound from passenger side front on bumps . All tie rod ends, ball joints, swaybar end links, all looks good, no play in the wheel, or steering wheel. Drives great, but confused. Owner provided me with all maint. Reciepts, showing, oil changes, new tires, brakes, timing belt and water pump. All done in the last 10,000 miles. What do ya all think? Also is it a good idea to swap out the manual trans fluid? Thank you all for all the help.
Old 09-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: new owner, funny noise

Originally Posted by petept
What do ya all think?
what do i think?

i think its pretty normal for a 14 year old car to make a few strange noises,

All tie rod ends, ball joints, swaybar end links, all looks good
you cant go by looks, its not like a woman

strut, strut mounts, control arm bushings, sway bar link, lower ball joint, tie rod end, cv joint/drive axle

your problem lies within one or more of these items
Old 09-26-2014
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point

try jacking up the car and hit the tire with a hammer and see where the sound is coming from
Old 09-26-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

funny noise

My sick mind thinks you may have run over a clown who is now trapped under the car.
Old 09-26-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a strut mount...or a clown.
Old 09-26-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

CV joint and axles been looked at?
Old 09-26-2014
Registered!!

Cv boots look new and clean. Axles tight, no movement at the wheels. As long as its safe im not to worried. Drives great just this weird clunck clunck over bumps at the one side. I wonder if a new set of struts would do it?
Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by petept
Cv boots look new and clean
stop using the word "look"

check things out properly,
Old 09-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
check things out properly,
Or take it to someone who can.

The struts sometimes don't have outward indications of a problem (no obvious leakage or anything), but make noise due to an internal problem...
Sometimes you just have to eliminate everything else as a possible cause.

One typical failed strut noise was a clunk that would happen when rolling across a 0.5inch pavement pad rise, like when I roll a car into the shop the concrete pad of the shop floor is about 0.5 inches higher than the outside pavement, and as I drive a car in through the doorway--- CLUNK

Not saying that's your problem, just giving an example.
Old 09-27-2014
Registered!!

usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you Came looking an exact answer but it's one of those it might be best to have it checked by a pro. I have a history of doing things the hard way Some places will give you a estimate however whatever you do don't replace a strut without a strut mount... I've leaved this the hard way Did you look at your lower control arm bushings?? Check out this great DIY https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-bushings.html also a lot of stores sell complete strut spring for the DIY user to change includes the spring strut and mount I assembly's and front end kits I was pricing doing mine for 149 both front struts and 115 lca arms tie rod ends and ball joints and sway links. Doing all the work myself then bringing for an alignment

If you change anything your self please make sure you torque to spec use jack stand and ask for help if you need it.

In regards to your question about it being safe... It's a older car things get wore out and should be replaced as needed...
Not trying to sound like the old man on the forum but if something is banging or clanging it has play... If you needed to swerve fast or correct a turn could the play become a factor in your ability to avoid a collision...
Also if a pro checks out your car it might cost a little but then you have an educated opinion on the problem and if the solution fits your budget

Last edited by usajags84; 09-27-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-29-2014
Registered!!

rezsst is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been using brakes plus..free inspection and $50 alignment. Jst have them inspect it and you do the work then return for an alignment if needed .if you Jack the front tire up about an inch of ground then stick a pry bar or board and pry up looking to see what's lose. I put my hand on ball joints to feel for slop. Any more then a 2/16" needs replacement. Have someone in the car turning wheel left n right while you check front steering. There's plenty of how to videos on YouTube.
Old 10-05-2014
Registered!!

Well, thanks for the advice.Turns out I had a bad sway bar bushing, I felt a little movement in there. Got both new ones and........beautifull, very nice, tight and quiet. I look forward to getting to know you all as I begin my life with my new to me civic. I will post pic if I figure it out.
Old 10-05-2014
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

How did ya go about finding it?
Shaking every movable part?
Old 10-06-2014
Registered!!

Laying under car, swaybar bushings looked rotten, hard, and just weird looking, installed both new ones with moog parts and it is best it has ever been.