7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SRS Light What??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usajags84 is an unknown quantity at this point
SRS Light What??

So I have been working on fixing up an 01 civic coupe for a while.
I bought it from a friend whose son was always getting pulled over I always liked the design and I like to use a gas saver for going to work.
He had a loud tin fart can exhaust system tinted (too dark) windows, and 17 inch crap rims, broken tail light and two fosgate subs.

Needless to say the exhaust is gone and a factory muffler has been put in its place
the tint is gone
the rims are gone and back to factory
subwoofers gone
amp gone

when I got the car there was some (ha) every corner more or less body damage, none of it looked too serious I know his son cant drive worth a crap

I pulled off the cracked bumper cover and the two damaged fenders and surprise surprise, I mean this things been hit more times then Mohammad Ali (before they got it)

The core support looked like it was welded back on by a high school student who missed too many weeks of shop class. Crooked as a politician and the welds are um not the best.

I didnt cut out the support and weld in a newer one (yet) mainly because I know I am going to do it right and pull the motor and transmission replace anything bent or out of spec and weld in properly and paint

Well my SRS light has been on, the bags do not look like they were replaced (no tool marks on the screws or plastic around)
I was going to do a manual reset that i found on the forum but....

I called Honda to see what this was going to be to diagnose: The thought of working on bags scares me!
They looked up my vin and my jaw dropped
Both bags and inflators are recalled
the seat belt are recalled
The service advisor told me all but the two sensors in the front and the computer are under a recall

Has anyone else had this?

I am kinda hesitant to bring it in Thursday when all the parts are going to be there. I mean I have replaced all the damaged exterior parts, and I have done some bondo work and my buddy and I painted the car its a uniform silver Looks pretty good needs more clear and buffing though

I am concerned more over for the fact that I know the car has been wrecked the severity of the damage is beyond me. It has clearly been hit and hard (Clean carfax by the way) I am worried that if some hack of a shop replaced the bags or other components i don't want to get a nice bill from Honda for the repairs

Any thoughts or advise

Last edited by usajags84; 09-16-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SRS Light What??

Well my SRS light has been on, the bags do not look like they were replaced (no tool marks on the screws or plastic around)
You won't find tool marks on plastic unless they were replaced by a clown with a pocketknife. LOL
I was going to do a manual reset that i found on the forum but....
Do not reset.
Read the codes first.
Then you erase.
Then see what code(s) come back.

Then see why.

See if the front seat belts have been deployed (depends on what it was equipped with, could have charges in the belts and/or buckles). If a buckle was deployed, it will sit about an inch lower than the original height.

If the control unit has deployed any items, it will have permanent codes related to the event and the control unit must be replaced, along with a shopping list of other stuff to inspect and/or replace. After replacement, recheck for any new codes. (A blown control unit has been known to lie about codes.)

We do not normally read codes or diagnose airbag lights during the inflator recall procedures (except to cover our own butts LOL).

They looked up my vin and my draw dropped
Both bags and inflators are recalled
Inflators. No big deal.

the seat belt are recalled The service advisor told me all but the two sensors in the front and the computer are under a recall
Post or PM me your VIN, I'd like to see what they found for recalls.
Or check your VIN on the Honda site for recalls: http://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls

Anyway, no big deal.
If those haven't been done, there may be others that haven't been done yet too.

I am kinda hesitant to bring it in Thursday

I am concerned more over for the fact that I know the car has been wrecked the severity of the damage is beyond me. It has clearly been hit and hard (Clean carfax by the way) I am worried that if some hack of a shop replaced the bags or other components i don't want to get a nice bill from Honda for the repairs
Don't worry about it. It's a recall (or a bunch of recalls), let them do what they need to do.

They can't charge you for anything without your consent.
Just sign right here--> X______________________
Old 09-17-2014
Registered!!

That is some really good advice...I left work today armed with a paper clip and read the code, it only had one 9-3 which is for the seat belt buckle sensor is faulty.I did drop it off tonight for early morning service. For requested service I put recalls and a smiley face.
I hope they fix it without the drama,

Here is what I found when I ran the vin on my 01.

Description 2001-02 Accord, 2001-03 Civic/Odyssey, 2002 CR-V, 2003 Civic Hybrid/Pilot Driver Airbag Expansion en Español TypeRecall Customer LetterStatusOpen Description 2001-2003 Civic passenger airbag inflator en Español TypeRecall Customer LetterStatusOpen Description 2003-05 Civic Driver/Passenger Airbag en Español TypeRecall Customer LetterStatusOpen

I also ran my sister in laws 02
Description 2001-2003 Civic passenger airbag inflator en Español TypeRecall Customer LetterStatusOpen Description 2003-05 Civic Driver/Passenger Airbag en Español TypeRecall Customer LetterStatusOpen
Old 09-17-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what I found when I ran the vin on my 01.
So you have the drivers and passengers inflator recalls. The 3rd shouldn't apply to you AFAIK, you are not in one of the listed states....unless the car was originally sold in one of those states.

You should mention to them that your car has the code 9-3 for the drivers buckle and see if they will replace it, see how much they will charge or if they will cover it under the lifetime seatbelt warranty. (Don't hold your breath, it's technically not covered for this problem.)
Old 09-18-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
So you have the drivers and passengers inflator recalls. The 3rd shouldn't apply to you AFAIK, you are not in one of the listed states....unless the car was originally sold in one of those states.

I live in Bama, so they replaced them today.

You should mention to them that your car has the code 9-3 for the drivers buckle and see if they will replace it, see how much they will charge or if they will cover it under the lifetime seatbelt warranty. (Don't hold your breath, it's technically not covered for this problem.)
They are going to replace it but they have to "order the parts"
No charge everything but seat buckle replaced

No more SRS light
On to the CEL
Old 09-18-2014

Bama
Sorry, damn IP lookup was wrong, it said Indiana LOL
Old 09-18-2014

Will they replace the buckle? If not, then you can expect the light and code to return later on.
Old 09-18-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Will they replace the buckle? If not, then you can expect the light and code to return later on.

Yes they said they ordered it for me today, should have it by Tuesday,
Old 10-06-2014
Registered!!

civic_man_67 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same thing happen with my '02 civic lx. I took it to a local dealership, and they replaced the front passenger seatbelt. A month later the SRS light came back on, I took it to them again, and they replaced the driver's seatbelt. No problems since then.
Old 10-12-2014
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

my SRS light came on for the drivers buckle. they replaced it free of charge.
Old 04-20-2015
Registered!!

FILLIE37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Srs light goes on and off 2000 honda civic

Hey all

Does anyone know what to do if the SRS light keeps going on and off ?
Old 04-20-2015

Re: Srs light goes on and off 2000 honda civic

Originally Posted by FILLIE37
Hey all

Does anyone know what to do if the SRS light keeps going on and off ?
Figure out what the fault code is first.