7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Do this maintenance now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Do this maintenance now or wait?

Hi,

Im going to be replacing my front pads before winter, in the next month or so. They have lasted me almost 4 years! Amazing. Gentle braking, and mostly highway driven (which i never really have to brake on) allowed me to get 4 years out of my pads. I still have about 40% left on them but i want to get them done before winter.

Anywyas, what i want to know is, should i get my brake fluid flushed when i do the pads? Its been exactly 2 years from today when i got my last brake flush done. I had all the fluid sucked out from the lines and all 4 brakes rebled. At the time, mech said my brake lines barely had any air in them and the fluid wasnt that dirty. He said i could have easily gone another year.

But when i go to mechs in shops they all say "every year" to get it flushed.

WHich is it? 1, 2 or 3 years?

Also, i had a coolant flush at the same time. Had all the old stuff out and new honda stuff in. Since then ive put on 31K Km on it. I dont plan on ever getting a flush done as ill be doing drain and fills. Should i do a drain and fill now or wait a year? Im hoping i can do this myself but im a bit nervous about it cause ive never done it.

thanks
Old 09-07-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do this maintenance now or wait?

The owners manuals all say 3 years for brake fluid AFAIK. So I'd say 3 years.

Coolant.....You got Hondas Type 2 in it now, right? The "Type 2" bottle says 5 years/60,000 miles on it.
This pic should be big enough to read the label:
Name:  65Ebb.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  669 Bytes

If you DIY your coolant.....Does it get lower than -34*F up there? You may need the Extreme Cold Weather Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 additive for better protection whenever you decide to replace yours.

Last edited by ezone; 09-07-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

coolant should be fine, i didn't change my original coolant for 7 years, it still looked new when i drained it....brake fluid up to you
Old 09-07-2014
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by mikey1
coolant should be fine, i didn't change my original coolant for 7 years, it still looked new when i drained it....brake fluid up to you
7 years? Wow.

The only reason i thought of doing the a drain and fill only after 2 years is because it only gets about half of it out.

I could wait until next year to do it though hey?

Can i just look at the color and tell how healthy it is?
Old 09-07-2014
I am Epic

Originally Posted by ezone
The owners manuals all say 3 years for brake fluid AFAIK. So I'd say 3 years.

Coolant.....You got Hondas Type 2 in it now, right? The "Type 2" bottle says 5 years/60,000 miles on it.
This pic should be big enough to read the label:

If you DIY your coolant.....Does it get lower than -34*F up there? You may need the Extreme Cold Weather Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 additive for better protection whenever you decide to replace yours.
Yes type 2, has -36freezing point.

It gets as low as -35 to -38 here in winters. Thats WITH whindchill. Last year we had a few days -40.

If coolant hits the freezing pointe, does it loose its properties? Or does it just freeze?
Old 09-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
7 years? Wow.

The only reason i thought of doing the a drain and fill only after 2 years is because it only gets about half of it out.

I could wait until next year to do it though hey?

Can i just look at the color and tell how healthy it is?
well when i changed mine after 7 years i was doing my water pump and everything, so i got pretty much every drop out,

but after 2 years with a drain and fill i still wouldnt worry about it, but hey its your money and your car,

it gets down to -30c or lower sometimes here in winter and no problems with the standard honda coolant (no additives)
Old 09-07-2014
I am Epic

Originally Posted by mikey1
well when i changed mine after 7 years i was doing my water pump and everything, so i got pretty much every drop out,

but after 2 years with a drain and fill i still wouldnt worry about it, but hey its your money and your car,

it gets down to -30c or lower sometimes here in winter and no problems with the standard honda coolant (no additives)
Ok cool. I wont bother with the coolant then. Next year ill do a drain and fill.

I dont want to waste money and good fluid. Cause the coolant is expensive as hell from the dealer. Almost $30!

I might do the brake flush after the new pads are on. Ill see. My brake pedal now doesnt feel spongey at all. Theres more travel distance than before, but thats cause my pads are at 40%.

I should probably see how it feels after with the new pads. I do like my brake pedal really tight with minimal travel. Just my preference.
Old 09-07-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Thats WITH whindchill.
Wind chill is not a valid concern.... Wind chill can never affect inanimate objects.

Last year we had a few days -40.

If coolant hits the freezing pointe, does it ............ just freeze?
What do you think????

If I lived up there, I would add some of that extreme additive to lower the freeze point a bit below the expected lowest temperatures, just to be safe.