7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

'01 Civic EX. Radio and clock stuck on/off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
genom is an unknown quantity at this point
Question '01 Civic EX. Radio and clock stuck on/off.

I have read a few threads that mention this same problem, but I haven't read any that mention, ya know... like... a solution!
I have an '01 Honda Civic EX "Goldie Hon". I know, clever, right? Anyhow- a few weeks ago I shut her down and the radio continued to play and the clock stayed lit. I got out and did what I had to do. Luckily, it started again when I got back in. I got home and my husband disconnected/reconnected my battery and it reset my clock and radio. I put in my code and it was working fine. A few days went by and I noticed the clock was frozen. I remember thinking I had made really good time, until I realized it had been the same time for about 1/2 hour. Yes, it took me that long to notice the clock hadn't moved! So, I took it to a local garage and they hooked it up to the diagnostic thingy (obviously I know a lot about cars). The code that popped up had to do with the electric load sensor. They replaced that and everything was fine...for a few days. Again! "Man, it's a lot earlier than I thought it was" only this time my radio was blaring and I had no way of turning it down. None of the buttons worked, again! I might also mention that I just had a baby and my husband and I are on the cusp of trading the old girl in for a new shiny new momma car. She's got 147,613 miles on her and I replaced her transmission a few years ago. I digress, my husband finally showed me how to disconnect the battery (wow, that's not even hard! Jeez!) I guess i could have figured that out myself! He showed me how to do it because I had been to work ( I work 12 hour shifts that turn in to 13, 14, 15 hour shifts) and he was afraid my battery would die even with just the clock light being on. I forgot to mention that happened too! So anyway- I got up early before work yesterday to make sure my car started. He made me show him that I knew how to disconnect and reconnect the battery 4 times before he let me leave. I reconnected it, it had been disconnected all night to avoid draining it. When I reconnected it it started right up. I worked my 12 hour shift and the clock stayed off the whole time. I haven't touched the radio, reset the clock, entered my anti-theft code...nothing. I'm not touching it. I don't want to spend a ton (i.e. >$40) on this. The guy at our local shop mentioned just disconnecting the clock/radio. Any other cheap solutions? Or reasons why this is happening? I haven't replaced the fuse because I've read that if the AC and the cigarette lighter is working then it's not the fuse. I just don't want to gamble driving around with my 3 month old in a car that may or may not start when we get back in. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: '01 Civic EX. Radio and clock stuck on/off.

2 things immediately came to mind:

When the radio and clock stay on, check and see if the lighter socket is still powered up (check with a cellphone charger or anything like that).

Do you have any other kids?
Or anyone young that was left unattended in the car?
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Johnnyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Same problem Same car...radio stays on after key out and engine off...wtf someone help
Old 08-30-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyb
Same problem Same car...radio stays on after key out and engine off...wtf someone help
Can you check the power socket and answer the questions in post #2?
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Power socket? Also know kids left in car or messing with anything...just did cylinder head swap on car all good.noticed lack from thermostat seal changed that this morning and now it just randomly started to not shut off
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Oh the cig lighter and car charger socket?
Old 08-30-2015

Power socket?
Cig lighter/power socket (if equipped). Just an easy way to see if the ACCY circuit in the car stayed powered up when the radio stays on.

Kids, for SOME reason like to stuff loose change in the tape/CD slots and that causes all sorts of problems like parking lights staying on, radio staying on, blown fuses, etc.

Disconnect the battery cables, short them together for 5 minutes, then reconnect to battery and see if that will reset/reboot the radio.
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

I have no power to socket! Where is the acc really located I don't see a fur for radio on panel? Wondering if it is stuck "closed"
Old 08-30-2015

I have no power to socket!
EDIT: Make sure the socket actually works when the key is turned on first!

When the radio stays on? If the socket works with the key turned on, That would tell me the problem is inside the radio, radio only.

Did you try the battery cable disconnect I(reset) described above?

Where is the acc really located I don't see a fur for radio on panel? Wondering if it is stuck "closed"
There is no relay to worry about.
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Yes car is off key is out and radio can still be turned on..no power to socket...no relay is good to know..I didn not yet worried that if I do that I've read people have lot of issues with car performance and sometimes does not start after words
Old 08-30-2015

See my edits in the previous post

These cars don't have battery disconnect/ starting problems like some other brands are known for, but if it idles funny it may need to relearn idle..
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Yes with key on socket is working...when negative is disconnected then replaced the time is not displayed on radio display..but it would still be drawing power correct?
Old 08-30-2015

Shouldn't be drawing excessive power if there is no display and it doesn't stay on now.

So if it continues to stay on later the problem is inside the radio.

Oh hell I should have checked that you have an unlock code for the radio.
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

I just mean that with car off if I have not yet put code in I can turn it on and see the code display or off but no time display..I just don't want to wake up with dead battery you know lol
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Should I just pull radio and get a new one down the road? Not that big of a deal and would be able to get one soon.dont what a dead car
Old 08-30-2015

So with no key you can still turn the radio on?
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Yes it's pissing me off lol just no display if I do not enter my code..if I do then even when radio button is pushed off time is still showing
Old 08-30-2015

Pull out fuse #8 in the dash fusebox, does the radio still come on?
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Yes it does
Old 08-30-2015

I'm out of easy stuff, time to yank out the radio.

Assuming no wiring modifications or aftermarket stereo stuff?

I'd verify the wire for switched power is indeed not powered with the key off and if true then condemn the radio.
Old 08-30-2015
Registered!!

Pulled it out thanks for the advice!! How to test the key power wire with a meter? I don't think I have continuity light
Old 08-30-2015

Without a wire diagram, just check every terminal, only takes a minute or two....

One meter lead connected to a ground, like the bare metal of the dashboard framework

Other meter lead (probably should use a paper clip or straight pin as the probe contact, and backprobe the connector) check each of the radio connector terminals for battery power.

One lead will have constant battery power, White/red wire in my diagram
One lead will have power only with the key on. Yellow/red wire

All the rest are speaker, illumination and grounds so no power should be seen as long as you did not turn the lights on.

If you decide to go with an aftermarket radio, DO NOT CONNECT ILLUMINATION WIRES!!