7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Honda civic rear alignment issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC354 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda civic rear alignment issues?

Hello.
I was trying to do the rear suspension in a 2002 civic LX, and i ran in to a small issue.
I broke the nut that the bolt at the bottom of the strut on the Trailing arm (I believe)
So, i figured instead of welding or any bullshit, i would just replace the entire piece. Upon trying to get it out though, i found that the bolt seemingly for the rear alignment, will not come out!
Days of Penetrating lube, heating with the torch and bashing it with the rubber mallet, and still no progress.. Is this bolt even supposed to come out?
Also, i notice there is a collar around the bolt. I figured it was something to do with aligning it when finished. Anyone know how this works? Should i just man up and keep bashing it?
Name:  DSC_0221_zps939a647c.jpg
Views: 3851
Size:  55.5 KB

Last edited by DC354; 08-23-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda civic rear alignment issues?

Well, THAT looks like you opened a big ol' can of worms, now you can't put the lid back on it!!

--Yes, the welded nut comes detached sometimes, just plan on using a regular nut later.
--Yes, that is the rear toe adjustment mechanism, the bolt is supposed to rotate and move back and forth in its slot with the large offset washers to adjust toe.
--Yes the bolt was supposed to come out, it is probably just seized to the steel sleeve inside the bushing.
--You WILL need a 4 wheel alignment when it's all back together.

---

How to get it apart? Hard to tell you from here. Probably some serious torch action to break the rust bond -- and plan on replacing all the damaged hardware before it's over, and the bushing(s) if you roast the rubber in it.

And you'd probably have to get the other two attachment points apart too (more bushings), to replace any of the bushings in the knuckle.

bashing it with the rubber mallet,
Mistake.
Grab a REAL hammer, not some tinkertoy rubber mallet. You are gonna destroy the bolt, man up and do it right LOL. Heat up the bolt til it's starting to turn red then whack it.

Last resort might be a sawzall.

PS: Taking a rear strut off: When the bolts are seized (they all seem to be after several years here too) I use a cutoff wheel to cut the bottom loop and split it in half, then get it apart from the strut, then either cut into the steel center sleeve of the remaining bushing or heat with a cutting torch.

It can take a lot of effort-- and maybe some talent with an Oxy-Acetylene torch-- to overcome the effects of rust and corrosion....without causing serious damage to the surrounding components.

If you do manage to get it all apart, I'll urge you to use liberal amounts of anti-seize all over the bolts as you put it back together, hopefully it will help if you have to tear it apart again in the future LOL.

HTH
Old 08-23-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to use the correct cuss words!
You can't go easy. You may even have to take the good Lord's name in vain.

Old 08-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yup you have to assume before hand that these parts are seized and then plan accordingly to remove them like soak them in PB for days or torch them especially if you live in a rust prone environment.