7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2002 EX Coolant leak by oil filter whats there?

Old 08-19-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mike12255 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 EX Coolant leak by oil filter whats there?

Hello everyone I parked my car the other day walked past it five minutes later and there was a puddle of all my coolant under it.

I managed to get it home poured some water down my radiator cap and I could see a stream of water coming out the back of my engine in almost where the oil filter is.

If you were in front of the car facing the oil filter it would be just to the right of it.

My issue is I cant see well enough back there nor can I find a good enough diagram to tell what is back there to figure out my issue does anyone have any theories or know what is back there? Thanks
Old 08-19-2014
Registered!!

cja3455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2002 EX Coolant leak by oil filter whats there?

Block drain plug over the filter to the right, you can get a better grip on it by removing the filter. You can use a flashlight for better visibility
Old 08-19-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Water pump is toward the drivers side of the oil filter.
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

Here is a video of my kind of view trying to get the airbox off right now for a better look but all the bolts are rusted and rounded bad.

View My Video

video is hard to see the best picture is between 5 and 8 seconds sorry.

the leak is coming between the mount with the bolt and the plastic thing. Might even be coming from the plastic thing itself I cannot tell what is that plastic thing and what is up there between the plastic thing in the picture and the airbox?
Old 08-20-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Blair Witch Project?

Remove the air filter housings. Check the small coolant hoses that run into and out of the throttle body and IAC valve area.
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

haha yeah sorry video was more so just for me to try and get a better view was not trying to take one to show then decided too anyway. Pouring down rain right now going to take the air housing off later then try and get a good look bolts are really rusted and rounded so this should be fun. Thanks
Old 08-20-2014

That was a pretty rapid leak, it shouldn't be hard to locate the head of that river.
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

Redneck_cdn will become famous soon enough

I just had to replace the head gasket on my 04 VTEC, While I was in the rebuild mode, I noticed the coolant transfer tube (metal tube that connects the output of the water-pump around to the front of the engine/thermostat manifold) and runs under the intake manifold.

The one on my engine was showing signs of severe corrosion and I replaced it while the top of the engine was off.

There is also the block drain as mentioned earlier plus the one end of the coolant transfer pipe has an O-ring that seals against the back side of the water-pump.
Old 08-20-2014

Originally Posted by Redneck_cdn
I noticed the coolant transfer tube (metal tube that connects the output of the water-pump around to the front of the engine/thermostat manifold) and runs under the intake manifold.

The one on my engine was showing signs of severe corrosion
Wow, your rust up there must be a lot worse than what I usually see down here, and I'm in what we call the rust belt.

OP is a bit north of you too.
Old 08-20-2014
Registered!!

the roads in the winter are white with salt.... sometimes it snows )

Easier to replace the pipe with the head & intake off vs trying to do it from below.
Old 08-20-2014

Originally Posted by Redneck_cdn
the roads in the winter are white with salt.... sometimes it snows )

Easier to replace the pipe with the head & intake off vs trying to do it from below.
I'm sure it is!

I think the last time I had to replace one of those pipes was several years ago, on an Accord....maybe from the early 90s. LOL
Old 08-21-2014
Registered!!

I found this image on the web of a 2000 civic motor not sure how similar mine is to that but that red line going into the IAC i feel a flat wet rubber hose down there and what might be a hole. Im touching in around the oil filter still is that tube im touching the one i described in the picture? I took the airbox off still cant really see anything just more room to move my hand around

Name:  diagram.png
Views: 59122
Size:  142.6 KB
Old 08-21-2014

I found this image on the web of a 2000 civic motor not sure how similar mine is to that
Completely different LOL.

Here's a D17 series throttle body water hoses and pipe

Throttle body

Intake manifold

water pump and some hoses and pipes and stuff
Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

Thanks those pics really helped me Were did you find them?

Also it looks like its the water pump Im working on trying to take off the crank shaft pulley and i was using a 250 lbs. impact gun but that wont take this bolt off I know honda makes a special tool but Im not financially available to buy more than I absolutely need too anyone know of any ways to try and get this off?

Old 08-25-2014

Originally Posted by mike12255
Thanks those pics really helped me Were did you find them?

Google search 'honda parts catalog online'.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
http://estore.honda.com/

There are dozens in the US and a few more in Canada
torontohondaparts.com/

Also it looks like its the water pump
You SURE about that?
I'd swear I saw liquid dripping off the bottom of the intake manifold bracket, and the water pump can't possibly leak from that high.

Im working on trying to take off the crank shaft pulley and i was using a 250 lbs. impact gun but that wont take this bolt off I know honda makes a special tool but Im not financially available to buy more than I absolutely need too anyone know of any ways to try and get this off?
The camera is still crooked.....

The bolt laughs at a weak 250 ft-lb gun. It laughs hard.
Get a bigger impact gun. No, I mean bigger than that.
Ingersoll-Rand 1/2" or 3/4" gun with 170+PSI air pressure should get it out.

Special tool: get it from Amazon, fleabay, borrow/rent it from a parts store that caters to the DIYers?
Amazon, $27.25
Amazon Amazon
May be more if you are in Canada? IDK

Have someone else lock the flywheel while you use a cheater pipe on a breaker bar on the crank bolt?

I really hate to tell you to use any heat, you might take the temper out of the bolt and that wouldn't be great.
Old 08-25-2014
Registered!!

The leak is coming out of a pin hole in a tube I can get a more clear picture/video of it now ill do that tomorrow for you. My dad says that some water pumps have a bypass when the go that is like a pin hole so thats just my best guess im deffinatly not sure and huh might have to get the tool lol thanks a lot for all the help youve been giving by the way.
Old 08-25-2014

a pin hole in a tube
That's not a water pump.
Like redneck_cdn poster said, it may be the large tube under the intake manifold that feeds the pump.

My dad says that some water pumps have a bypass when the go that is like a pin hole so thats just my best guess
Stop on the pump job for now and figure this out the right way.

A water pump leak would run straight down from the pump casting.
Old 08-25-2014

Here's a basic water pump pic, the two weep holes are positioned about 2oclock and 5oclock when it's on the engine.

I know it's not exactly like yours, but it's the best I could google in a minute.
Old 08-26-2014
Registered!!

Yeah it looks like its the bottom hose in this picture (#12) not sure what thats called. Cant get at it thought going to have to take the intake manifold off to replace it, thanks for help.

Old 08-26-2014

not sure what thats called
A big PITA is what I'd call it LOL

Not sure the best way to get at it, I've not had to replace any here.

HEY you are up in Canada, right? Why doesn't the Canadian dealer catalog site list a 02 Civic EX?

Here's a catalog link to that page anyway, on torontohondaparts: http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsList.aspx?model=CIVIC&year=2002&doors=2door&c at=engine&illid=5757

Don't forget the O ring #21, and you may want the seal #21 for the other connecting pipe #11 and hose #10, it might need to come out to make room for the first pipe.

HTH
Old 08-27-2014
Registered!!

I feel a hole lot better about replacing that pipe now when the head was off... I ordered the coolant transfer pipe (#12) from the local Honda dealer and I think it was under $70, not sure if the rubber O-ring (#21) was included but make sure to replace it as well.

Not sure if the intake manifold would have to come off to get the pipe out and access to the lower mounting bolt or if could be done in place. I would suggest making or picking up a Radiator hose tool http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...OR-HOSE-TOOLS/ to assist with getting the hoses off in one piece and will save you time and well as your knuckles.

FYI.. When I had the head off, I had to cut off two of the intake manifold mounting bolt (#33, #32) heads as the head of the bolts where damaged by rust and I could not get a socket or wrench on them while they where on the vehicle. I removed the head + intake together and replaced all de-graded hardware. (gotta love salt)

The transfer tube pulls straight out (towards the PS) once the mounting bolt is removed. On installation I would suggest to clean the O-ring mating surface on the output of the water pump and lubricate the O-ring with a suitable silicone based lube to aid in the installation.
Old 08-27-2014
Registered!!

Only hard part about that pipe is that there is a bolt that needs to come out and its directly under the manifold its pretty rusted and rounded just like every other bolt on this damn car and you cant really get two hands in from underneath have any secrets for getting to this one without having to take the manifold (which is covered in rounded rusted bolts) off? haha
Old 08-28-2014
Registered!!

Take the head off? replace the head gasket while you are at it or find a drop in replacement motor?

The head/manifold assembly removal is really not that bad of a job once you get all the hoses, cables and wires out of the way. I was able to re-time the motor with out removing the timing belt as I need to move the car out of the garage while I was waiting for the crank holding tool to arrive from ebay.

Once the head was off I removed the intake manifold, cleaned the nearly blocked EGR passages, replaced the 2~3 rounded/rusted bolts on the manifold as well as the coolant pipe. Would cost you a new set of top end gaskets (head, intake, exhaust and thermostat manifold) and the coolant pipe. Depending on the age of your timing belt/water-pump you might as well do that while you are at it if they are close or re-use if not currently needed.

Sorry...

Last edited by Redneck_cdn; 08-28-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2014
Registered!!

Hey guys sorry I havent updated in a while got a new job and it took me away from home so i couldnt work on the car anyway i took the manifold off and took a bolt on that I thought was holding that steel hose in but it doesnt seem like it. does anyone what is holding it there and do I just twist it out?
Old 09-08-2014

Rubber O ring that is probably hardened like concrete.
Refer to the parts diagram posted earlier.
Old 09-09-2014
Registered!!

just the one bolt holding the bracket on, should be able to rotate/work the old one out.

Be sure to clean up the mating surface on the water-pump outlet and lubricate the new O-ring with some rubber safe (silicone correct me if I am wrong) to aid in re-installing.

There is a nipple on the water-pump end of the pipe to act as a stop to make sure the pipe is installed to the proper depth.

While you have the manifold off I might suggest to remove the EGR spacer to clean the passages. Cover the intake port and shop vac the debris out of the area. Mine where pretty gunked up and I would approximate 80-90% blocked. Only takes a half hour to do and can save another headache down the road.

Replace any damaged/rusted bolts with new ones if needed.
Old 09-09-2014

(silicone correct me if I am wrong)
Works for me .
I might use fresh antifreeze, since that's what it will live its life in. Either will lube the seal.

remove the EGR spacer to clean the passages
Cover the intake port and shop vac the debris out of the area.
Scraping may be involved, but yeah getting it cleaned while apart would be a good idea IMO.

Want to get the head gasket out of the way now too? You're halfway there LOL