7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why did honda use plastic for the headlight adjusters!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greenbackz is an unknown quantity at this point
Why did honda use plastic for the headlight adjusters!?!

stock headlight housing on 2002 civic coupe.. So i was adjusting my headlights the other day and the drivers side adjusted no problems, but during the passenger side adjustment i noticed the plastic screw or whatever that adjuster thing is called was stripped.. so i can't adjust that headlight up and down grr.. is there any other way to adjust my headlight up and down? or any suggestions how to get this thing to spin?

not really sure what honda was thinking using plastic for that piece as a metal screwdriver + plastic screw = recipe for disaster..
Old 07-23-2014
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why did honda use plastic for the headlight adjusters!?!

I literally just came out of the garage from trying to adjust the passenger headlight on mine lol. I bought aftermarket lights and retrofitted projectors, my adjuster screw is fine but the linkage on the inside of the headlight is snapped so it wont adjust. We're both SOL.

Side note: besides the screwdriver adjuster mine can also be adjusted by a small bolt on the back of the adjuster housing, not sure if your headlights will be equipped with that but its something to check for.
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

im 90% certain my 04 has metal screw adjusters its been awhile since i adjusted them though.
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

i noticed that the hole is hex shaped as well.. might be able to find a really long hex bit that will reach it if only i had one or knew exactly what size it was lol.
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i definitely know the adjustment on the 04 is a phillips head.
Old 07-24-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Kludge tip: if you have a metric 1/4" socket set with extensions... you can jam the bit size you think it is, into its corresponding socket with a bit of Ziploc bag or thin cloth to hold it in, and use the extensions to get the bit where you need to go. Should be good enough for this task.
Old 07-24-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

A long #2 Phillips is all you need. The adjuster piece is metal.
Old 07-24-2014
Registered!!

yeah plastic screws seemed a little far fetched unless maybe were talking about hyundai.and yeah a really really long phillips head sounds about rite i think i made my own .

Last edited by lowlife9; 07-24-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
A long #2 Phillips is all you need. The adjuster piece is metal.
yes, i know its a phillips. thats how i stripped the thing, now the phillips part of the plastic is stripped, but there is also a hex shape around the spot where u put the phillips screwdriver into, so if i could get a hex bit in there somehow i could still turn it lol.

and yes, they are plastic i'll post a pic.

it's a 2002 civic coupe, maybe they started using metal in the later models?

first few pics are of the passenger side (stripped one). as you can see, what used to be a spot for a phillips screwdriver has now turned to a big mess of stripped cheap plastic.

The other photos are of the drivers side, u can still see the phillips slot, but it also looks like it is going to strip very soon, im afraid it's going to strip next time i try to adjust it.

such a P.I.T.A!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	86905   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	86906   Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	86907   Click image for larger version

Name:	44.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	86908  

Last edited by greenbackz; 07-25-2014 at 05:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I have an 01 and mine are metal, But my adjuster screw also doesn't look like that. I'll take a pic of mine.

Here is a pic I found on Google:

Name:  DSCN5607.jpg
Views: 5816
Size:  100.0 KB

Are you sure yours are the original lights? They will say Stanley on the lens.

Another pic:

Name:  EP3CivicHeadlightAdjust.jpg
Views: 6945
Size:  19.4 KB

Last edited by GolNat; 07-25-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2014
Registered!!

I believe they are stock. They say honda on them, SAE DOT and a buncha numbers or watever. anyways i got a hex bit and managed to adjust them accordingly worked like a charm!