7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

OBD2 code 1706

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
malcolm2 is an unknown quantity at this point
OBD2 code 1706

I see a few posts about the open Tranny range circuit. Lot's say what the switch does.... BUT why did it throw a code. My son drives this car and I am lucky if I can get him to put gas in it, so I have no idea if the car is acting funny.

Would you feel a shifting problem? Maybe it runs up to 3rd and never makes 4th, kinda thing? Any other symptoms? Would it throw a code if it was just a hiccup and only happened once, or 1 code = bad switch?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OBD2 code 1706

My son drives this car and I am lucky if I can get him to put gas in it, so I have no idea if the car is acting funny.
You didn't tell what specific car you are dealing with so I picked a random 7th gen car.

01 Civic with Auto trans (not CVT)

P1706: Open in trans range switch circuit

BUT why did it throw a code.
The computer saw: The FWD switch is (or was) open circuit during acceleration/deceleration.

Would you feel a shifting problem?
HellifIknow. Does it really matter? If the kid is an average appliance user, he might not understand anything is wrong until the car can no longer pull itself down the road under its own power.

or 1 code = bad switch?
I don't really know of any codes defined as "replace part".

What if a mouse chewed the wires?

HTH
Old 06-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
malcolm2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
You didn't tell what specific car you are dealing with so I picked a random 7th gen car.

01 Civic with Auto trans (not CVT)

P1706: Open in trans range switch circuit

The computer saw: The FWD switch is (or was) open circuit during acceleration/deceleration.

HellifIknow. Does it really matter? If the kid is an average appliance user, he might not understand anything is wrong until the car can no longer pull itself down the road under its own power.

I don't really know of any codes defined as "replace part".

What if a mouse chewed the wires?

HTH

Yes, 01 civic.

I don't follow your "defined as replace part" comment.

The part is the switch, how else do you get the code repaired.

Anyway, I have cleared the codes with the code reader, and will wait to see if they come back. And I'll keep searching I guess.
Old 06-30-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

His point was that codes are only what the PCM is programmed to report; it's not a substitute for going in and looking at the whole system and using hands-on diagnosis. You didn't read his 'mouse chewed wires' comment... the same code can be thrown for bad wiring -- you replace that switch, and the code will still come up if the wires are open.
Old 06-30-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcolm2

I don't follow your "defined as replace part" comment.
Code P1706 is not defined as "replace range switch".

The description (definition) of the code P1706 is "Open in trans range switch circuit" That includes everything from the switch to the PCM, and maybe more.

Testing can verify or eliminate likely and possible causes.

The part is the switch, how else do you get the code repaired.
If a rodent chewed off some wires and codes were set because of that, do you think that replacing the switch would cure the code?

Although parts replacement may take care of many problems, it can't fix all possible problems. I deal with quite a bit of rodent damage in my area, and have been dealing with it for decades.

I learned very early in my career to test and verify before throwing parts at any problem, because throwing parts doesn't always solve the problem.

Anyway, I have cleared the codes with the code reader, and will wait to see if they come back. And I'll keep searching I guess.
If the code stays gone for a while, it would probably have been caused by an intermittent switch issue.

If the code returns immediately, I'd expect either a bad switch or wiring. If the failure condition is present during testing, the true cause should be easy to determine.

HTH