7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Car will not accelerate. Only rev real high when I press gas pedal.

Old 06-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nobighero is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Car will not accelerate. Only rev real high when I press gas pedal.

When I start my car (2001 Honda Civic Ex) it will physically shift into any gear, however I do not feel it shifting. If I put it in drive, r, d3, or d2 it will not accelerate, only rev really high. It all started when I hit a pot hole this evening. After I hit the pot hole I was going up a steeper hill, one Ive gone up many times before, and my car was revving really high, but was still moving (however slowly) when I was pressing on the gas. About a couple minutes later my car would no longer accelerate in any gear. I stepped on the gas with various pressure and the car would not budge, just rev high. I started the car multiple times.
So I call AAA and when he gets there 20 minutes or so later I tell him what is going on. However when he steps on the gas low and behold, it accerates. He drives it (via his tow truck) to my house and sets it in my drive way. Tells me to test it out. Once again it accelerates in reverse and drive. He leaves and dumbfounded I try again, however this time it no longer accelerates at all. Like my car is taunting me.
30 minutes later I get in my car go up and down the driveway twice and seems fine until I shift in drive a 3rd time and it went right back to not accelerates at all.
Im at a loss. Did that pot hole jar something lose? Could it be the Transmission solenoid? Its not a variable valve timing issue is it? Im not to car savvy so Im looking for some help. THANKS!
Old 06-11-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car will not accelerate. Only rev real high when I press gas pedal.

When the car will not move, what is the speedometer doing?
Old 06-11-2014
Registered!!

When the car is unable to move the speedometer stays at 0.
Old 06-11-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so it didn't pop an axle out.

That means it's probably an internal trans problem.

How's the fluid level?
What's the fluid look like?
What's the fluid smell like?

Name:  gV14b8t.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  503 Bytes
Old 06-12-2014
Registered!!

The fluid level is near the full marker. 3/4 between the low and full dots. Closer to being full. Fluid is a pinkish color. Smells like a autofluid. Doesnt smell burnt for anything.

Weird that this would happen all of a sudden while driving it...
Old 06-12-2014
Registered!!

Additional info: makes a higher pitch whirring noise upon startup which corresponds with engine rpm. When I drive and engine is revving speedometer going up. Jerking from a dead stop before it starts slipping again. Drive for a little bit before it starts slipping and then becomes undriveable again. Fluid looks good... smells ok... at proper levels. Works after sitting for awhile...

Why after hitting a pothole would this occur?

What are the chances of it being the torque converter? But still...
Old 06-12-2014

I have heard many of these transmissions make a (somewhat loud) howling or whining noise when they have problems.

Bearings can cause some whine noises.

I have witnessed many that seem to just go to neutral while driving (along with other symptoms), and make a loud whine noise whenever it quits pulling. Whine varies with engine RPM.
Shut the engine off, wait 30 seconds, restart and it will drive again for a very brief while longer. The whine in this case is the pump starving due to a clogged internal filter.

If it were in my bay, I'd probably verify the electrical inputs to the trans are ok, and condemn the trans.