7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need complete Engine 2004 Civic EX coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SiRZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need complete Engine 2004 Civic EX coupe

Anyone know of a good priced engine replacement place to replace this 1.7L vtec. Had the head gasket redone almost 2 yrs. ago with new belts/water pump/radiator etc. and now it's overheating again and the place that did the work said it's a bad engine and compression test shows it's internal. Everywhere I check it cost about $800.00 for used Japanese engine and anywhere between $400-$500 to install them. Don't know if that's the best solution other than to dump this model as I know many people with this engine shows same overheating issue. I don't want to spend more money if these replacement engines will do the same later on with its bad history. Would like to know what replacement option I have and route to go if any before I pull the trigger on getting the same type of engine.
Old 05-21-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Need complete Engine 2004 Civic EX coupe

A new head gasket should last you longer then 2 years, it not a Neon. Was it replaced with a cheapo gasket?

You take a gamble with any engine. Do you really love the car? Still hard to find a decent running car for $1300. You might dump this car and buy one that isn't any better (unless you want to spend more money).
Old 05-21-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SiRZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need complete Engine 2004 Civic EX coupe

Well the car was replaced using only parts from the Honda Dealer. Head was taken to machine shop as well prior to re-install by trained mechanic. I guess i was just unlucky for it to be broken again, but this time it's not a blown head gasket but rather something internal engine that went bad causing it to overheat from time to time. Pressure test shows it has compression on the coolant.