7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Struts for DX

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warminwisco is an unknown quantity at this point
Struts for DX

I see a couple of rear Quick Struts on Craigslist for 100 bucks a pair. I have a reply as to if they come with a warrantee. Which struts are OEM and do you folks get for your 07 generation Civic's? What is usually the labor to install them? Alignment needed after install? At 63K on a 9 year old car should I need them? Thanks in advance! Great site!
Old 05-04-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Struts for DX

Why are the struts bad? Does the car bounce excessively? Dive when braking? Are they leaking?

That's not a lot of miles, the car shouldn't need struts already.
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

No they seem OK but if the Monroes are decent I might just replace em anyway if the labor is reasonable. My kid will be hauling around a full car I bet so maybe just buy em and hold on to them. Who knows what I can get em for on craigs
Old 05-04-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Monroe's are not that great. I would get KYB's.

Instal price your going to have to call around. It varies by area and shop.
Old 05-04-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't use Monroe on my car.
I dislike quick struts simply because I've seen many with problems like rattles and clunks......you can't fix them with OE parts after that either.
We don't install them at our shop.

If you don't need springs, then buy just the shock absorber portion, not the entire strut.
If you want them to last, get them from an OEM.

Pull them out, take them to someone with a strut compressor.
Swap springs to the new shocks.
Reinstall into car.
No alignment needed if you do it right.

It's a DIY for some people........until you find out the bolts are seized into the bottom bushing and you can't get them apart. You are in Wisconsin, 99% chance they will be seized.

If yours are still good, don't leak and don't bounce excessively, IMO don't touch them. The car will need money spent on other things soon enough.

HTH
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Thanks just what I needed to know. Awesome site!!
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Speaking about other things down the road. I hear talk about transmissions, head gasgets, how does the civic get such high praise for reliability on many publications and sites?
Old 05-04-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

because up to the 6th gen was more reliable than the 7th gen
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Why do you all even own the 7th generation? Ya put a engine tranny into the picture ya might as well drive an Avalon. Where is the economy of the seventh generation, the the 8th has block issues geez. Guess I learned to late shame on the media for portraying such a sound car. Anyway
Old 05-04-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warminwisco
Why do you all even own the 7th generation?
YOU have one.

Ya put a engine tranny into the picture ya might as well drive an Avalon.
As I said in the other thread, "Don't be scurred!"
Don't sweat the head gasket until it actually needs one. You might never need it.

Why the trans? They got the big problems solved for the most part after the first couple years of the model run.

We now have a tech in the shop that came from Toyota. From the way he talks, apparently Toyota can't get a decent water pump. If you get 40k on a water pump of theirs, you got a great one.

Where is the economy of the seventh generation,
Bigger, heavier car? More safety?
My 12 Civic is bigger than early Accords. My 12 is almost as big as my old Park Avenue.
the the 8th has block issues geez.
Just the first couple years of the production run, and probably less than 1% are actually affected by the problem (my opinion)....and Honda addressed the situation with a warranty extension that covers the issue for 10 years and unlimited mileage.

How many other manufacturers step up to the plate like that? Seriously, how many?

Hey, I see a pattern here. The first couple years of a production run have all the problems. By the end of the production run, the engineers finally get most of the problems fixed.
I've heard this before. It applies to almost all cars.
Guess I learned to late shame on the media for portraying such a sound car. Anyway
Ain't nuthin' really wrong with your car yet, is there?

By God, you've already crashed the plane before it ever got off the ground!
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

I know I do, I have the last year of the 7th. So keep it in perspective I get the feeling yur saying they are all not bad keep yur finger crossed. But a water pump compared to a tranny, HG I have owned Toyotas for years LS 430, Camry hybrid, now a Highlander.

Thanks for listenign I did own a 98 accord drove it from 30 k to 130k a 125 dollar ingition fix was it.
Old 05-04-2014

I get the feeling yur saying they are all not bad keep yur finger crossed
Right. Some do it, some don't.

You only get to hear people complaining about the bad ones.
You will never hear someone complaining theirs hasn't broke yet.

I did own a 98 accord drove it from 30 k to 130k a 125 dollar ingition fix was it.
$125? There was a recall that covered many of those cars (not all though). Should have been free to you if the recall covered your particular car.
Old 05-04-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Camry hybrid
If that was a pre-2009 Camry hybrid... that 2AZ-FXE engine is as bad or worse than the D17A1/2 for breaking seal on their HGs and even more shockingly, stripping fastener threads right out of the block. Figures that the engine family that caused Toyota the most costly overheating/head warp/thread pull problems in their history (and it was used in a LOT of their products), was called 'AZ'. The 2AR-FE that replaced it is far superior... no connection unfortunately to Arkansas.

Some do it, some don't... accurate. But that's also accurate in the Toyota runaway fiasco for affected cars, and the Cobalt fartdrag GM is eyeballs up to now. Should you be proactive, and arm yourself with knowledge to prevent doing/buying/hurting more than you have to? Of course.

That Toy tech via ezone, is correct -- even my Paseo, which was pretty much Old-Toyota-bulletproof... shed a water pump a few months after I bought it at 45K... so not a new problem. The replacement though, lasted 232K, and was still not weeping when I sold it. Not sure why, but have a hunch it has to do with their casting machining/finishing process, with that list of symptom progression. Once the coolant is swapped for the first time... there isn't anything left to kill the mechanical seal anymore? Hope it's not that simple.
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

It was an 09 hybrid I got during the runaway fiasco bought low sold high. Come to think of it needed a new water pump under 30k. Thanks for all your knowledge to keep it in perspective.

Again this is for my kid and then for me$ to sort out long term. Thinking I should have gotten the 04 Lesabre limited I could have gotten for 3k$ with 100k on it from a ol guy. But then they had issues with the plenum but not and engine or tranny.
Old 05-04-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

The most reliable and easy to fix car i have is my 95 miata

the other was my old beetle, 15 min and the engine was off the car. just need the right spare parts in the car, like the belts, or the ignitor

did a 80 mile trip on only two cylinders, i just should never turn the engine off until i got there.
Old 05-04-2014

04 Lesabre

they had issues with the plenum but not and engine or tranny.
3.8 engine, I think they had that burn through problem solved in the early 2000s. Otherwise, one of the more bulletproof drivetrains they had.

---

My mother HAD an 02 Accord w/4 cylinder, about 100k on it.
My grandfather passed on last year and left an 04 Park Avenue Ultra with only 15k on it.
She sold the Accord and kept the Ultra.
It's a gas guzzler around town but it gets within 2 MPG of the Accord on the highway. And it's quiet and smooooooth.

And it screams "LOOK OUT!! OLD PERSON DRIVING!"
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

I had a 96 bonneville sold to the neighbor at 175k no problems, he drove it to 225k. The non ultra's dig pretty good even around town, 4 spped tranny.