7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Check out this noise: What does it sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014
I am Epic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted
Check out this noise: What does it sound like?

Take a listen to the noise at 13secs. It only lasts for 1-2 secs each time and it ONLY happens when starting the car when its completely cold. Sounds like a hollow cup sound. Its coming from the power steering pump/alt/ area. I thought at first it was a loose bolt or nut, but if it was, this would happen all the time, no matter if the cars cold or hot.

Have you ever heard a sound like this before? I know you cant see it but this just gives a rough idea. Any thing you suggest checking?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9vaZB_wcE&list=UUonm6reYKTUBgGjUR6orY9g[/youtube]

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-28-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Check out this noise: What does it sound like?

one of your belts are loose,

or one of your pulleys are shot

remove the belts and turn the pulleys by hand, are they smooth?
Old 03-28-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Is your pwr steering belt tensioned properly? How about the alt/water pump/A/C belt? Was the car started with the A/C on?
Old 03-28-2014
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by mikey1
are you talking about the squeal that happened quickly?

or the knocking/ticking?
Neither, at 13secs theres like a hollow cup slight rattle like sound. Only lasts for 1-2secs and only happens on cold starts.

Originally Posted by kinakoes2
Is your pwr steering belt tensioned properly? How about the alt/water pump/A/C belt? Was the car started with the A/C on?
I sure hope it is. The guy who replaced my alternator last weekend replaced my serp. belt as well and the noise started after he was done the job. The thing is, i dont really trust him now in setting the tension on the belts. The guy couldnt even get my hood up, I had to do it for him....twice!

To re-set the tensions on both belts, it all has to come out again. Blah. Is there any way to check tension by just feeling with my hand? I can get to the powersteering one no problem but the serp one is tough.

AC was not on. I always turn it off

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-28-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie
Neither, at 13secs theres like a hollow cup slight rattle like sound. Only lasts for 1-2secs and only happens on cold starts.
yeah read my post, i edited it
Old 03-28-2014
I am Epic

Originally Posted by mikey1
one of your belts are loose,

or one of your pulleys are shot

remove the belts and turn the pulleys by hand, are they smooth?
Hmm never removed my belts before, dont know if i trust myself. How hard is it and what tools are required?

I know the power steering i can reach easily but the alt belt is easier from going under neath the car.

I was told this for the power steering.

There are two bolts that hold the pump tight. one on the bottom, backside of the pump. Thats the one that swings and gives you your adjustment. The bolt facing the front side of the pump is the bolt it pivots on. I just use a large screwdriver and tighten the bottom one, then tighten the upper one.
Hmm I just need to locate these two bolts and where exactly they are.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-28-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2014
I am Epic

I found a picture for the first bolt to loosen and the adjustment bolt but doesnt show the 2nd bolt to loosen before touching the adjustment bolt.

So I loose the red and the 2nd bolt (supposedly by the pulley) first with a 12mm socket, and then the blue is what tightens the belt tension?

Name:  04_Power_Steering_Pump.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  61.0 KB
Old 03-28-2014

kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Civicnoobie

I sure hope it is. The guy who replaced my alternator last weekend replaced my serp. belt as well and the noise started after he was done the job. The thing is, i dont really trust him now in setting the tension on the belts. The guy couldnt even get my hood up, I had to do it for him....twice!

To re-set the tensions on both belts, it all has to come out again. Blah. Is there any way to check tension by just feeling with my hand? I can get to the powersteering one no problem but the serp one is tough.

AC was not on. I always turn it off

Okay... first, gotta back off the tension for the PS belt and just remove it... that'll give you more room to wrangle the other belt's tension, which is both the more important and more difficult to adjust of the two, just due to being more buried. It's not *super-hard*, just a bit more tedious.

The rule of thumb for all acc'y belts, is 1/4" - 1/2" play in the middle of the longest run of belt while on the pulleys... however that's for just being stranded in the middle of nowhere within walking distance of a NAPA, emergency only. I'd follow the Honda tension specs, which are:

Applying 22 lbs of pressure to the middle of the top run in both cases...

13.3 - 16.5mm deflection for PS belt, used (1/2" to just over 1/2" play, or 0.51" - 0.65");

8.5 - 11.0mm deflection for alt belt, used (little over 1/4" to just under 1/2" play, or 0.33" - 0.43").

Honda gives new belt specs too, which are tighter... but in the manual it also says to install and run a new belt 5 mins and check using the used spec, so unless you can't start the car, it's not that crucial to measure with the new spec AFAIK... if the mod pros chime in with correction, go with their advice.

There are three fasteners to move: loosen the pivot bolt for the PS pump... loosen the jam nut that holds the tension in place (and keeps pull forces from the crank off the small adjusting bolt), and adjust out with the adjuster bolt itself. The only one not pointed out in your pic, is the pivot fastener, lower down between the belt runs. The jam nut and pivot bolt *must* be torqued after adjustment, or a squeaky belt will be the least of your worries...

Some pics...

When it comes to working on your ride... pros before bros! This should be plenty easy to do solo, though.

Last edited by kinakoes2; 03-28-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2014
I am Epic

Okay... first, gotta back off the tension for the PS belt and just remove it... that'll give you more room to wrangle the other belt's tension, which is both the more important and more difficult to adjust of the two, just due to being more buried. It's not *super-hard*, just a bit more tedious.

The rule of thumb for all acc'y belts, is 1/4" - 1/2" play in the middle of the longest run of belt while on the pulleys... however that's for just being stranded in the middle of nowhere within walking distance of a NAPA, emergency only. I'd follow the Honda tension specs, which are:

Applying 22 lbs of pressure to the middle of the top run in both cases...

13.3 - 16.5mm deflection for PS belt, used (1/2" to just over 1/2" play, or 0.51" - 0.65");

8.5 - 11.0mm deflection for alt belt, used (little over 1/4" to just under 1/2" play, or 0.33" - 0.43").

Honda gives new belt specs too, which are tighter... but in the manual it also says to install and run a new belt 5 mins and check using the used spec, so unless you can't start the car, it's not that crucial to measure with the new spec AFAIK... if the mod pros chime in with correction, go with their advice.

When it comes to working on your ride... pros before bros! This should be plenty easy to do solo, though.
Thanks, fair enough. WHen you say apply 22lbs of pressure to the middle of the top run of the belt, what tool do I need for this?

And those specs you give for deflection, im guessing you measure with one figure on the middle of the belt (with the longest run) upwards (or downwards?) and use measuring tape to measure how much the belt deflects inwards/outwards (depending if you push up or down on the belt)?
Old 03-28-2014

CN, I've edited my last post to answer your questions. Check them out. Yes, deflection spec is deflection in one direction only -- when you put the weight on it. It's not (as with motorcycle chains) freeplay in both directions...

If you want to use a 22 lb weight somehow, please take a pic so I can enjoy viewing some severe boffinage. Seriously though... just ballpark it. If you want to get technical, press with your thumb on an accurate bathroom scale until it reads 22 lbs. I just imagined the force a 22 lb weight would feel like in my hands, then used the same force when I did my adjustment three days ago. Doubling up a piece of tape with the correct measurement marked off in ballpoint pen, was the ruler I used. Little easier than jamming a metal ruler in there past the A/C lines...

One unexpected benefit from a properly-adjusted PS belt, is that the steering feels the same, no matter hot or cold, dry or sopping wet (as it's been here non-stop). My steering feels much more consistent now, not bad for ten mins with a ratchet, 12mm short socket... and my thumb.

Last edited by kinakoes2; 03-28-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The hollow cup noise at 13 seconds sounds unusual.

Old 03-28-2014
I am Epic

Thanks. Little confused by this pic though. It shows both bolts are on the passenger side of the PS pump? I looked and looked and could only spot the first one (which is the top one).

I just finished this, before seeing your edit, but I first loosened the bolt circled in red first (had to take out the small black metal bracket first, couldnt get my ratchet in there). Then I did the lower one which was on the driver side of the PS pump at the bottom by the belt run (white arrow). Once I had both those bolts loose, I turned the nut (blue) counter clockwise, took the belt off. Pulley spun freely, no noise.

Put the belt back on, (which was a major PITA getting my arm down there), turned that locking nut (in blue) clockwise til I got roughly the deflection you listed (but was so hard to do due to the fact i couldnt get my hand quite half way in the middle of the longest run, but close). I had to eyeball it. The nut ended up going 1/4 turn more than it was set at before. DIdnt want to make too tight. Not sure if 1/4 is significant on these cars for the belts but i figured i wouldnt go more cause the belt was tight.

Then first retightened the bolt by the belt run to 33ft lbs (white arrow) or whatever spec you had listed. Then retightened the bolt in the red to spec and put back that black metal piece with the 2 tiny bolts.

Just to test, after i had everything tightened back. I tried turning the adjustment nut counter clockwise to see if it would move and it wouldnt at all (just wanted to make sure). So im guessing that its not the adjustment nut that keeps the adjustment in place but the two 12mm bolts?

I didnt check the serp belt cause holy ****, theres no way i can get down that far. It'd probably be easier adjusting it from under the car no?

I figured id try doing the PS belt first and see if its fixed in the morning when i cold start it.

Last edited by Civicnoobie; 03-28-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2014

Yeah, I'd probably put the front end on stands to tackle my alt belt, looking at the space. Why is it both domestic and foreign makers put their A/C lines right where your hands need to be?

I know a lot of cam mikes record footage way off other cam mikes, esp if it's a smartphone... does sound like a belt issue, though. If it's not the belts, not sure what that could be.
Old 03-28-2014
I am Epic

Yeah, I'd probably put the front end on stands to tackle my alt belt, looking at the space. Why is it both domestic and foreign makers put their A/C lines right where your hands need to be?

I know a lot of cam mikes record footage way off other cam mikes, esp if it's a smartphone... does sound like a belt issue, though. If it's not the belts, not sure what that could be.
Did I tackle the correct 2 bolts in the pic I posted? Just wanna make sure or i have to re-do it.