7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Retiring The Civic as a DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
Retiring The Civic as a DD

I cant believe I've been on this forum for a decade. I've been on less frequent in the last few years as life got more busy. I still remember the forum as 7thgen and i still have the forum license plate frame! This car took me from High school to Grad school spanning 12 years.

But anyways, its time to retire my 2002 Honda Civic EX Sedan in Satin Silver. Her name was Daisy. She was a fun car to own. She was never on a tow truck. It started every single time in the last 12 years. Even now, it takes about 2-3 turns and the car starts! I am still on the original water pump. I decided not to do a timing belt change at 200k as i was planning on getting a new car. When new, the 7thgen was the best compact car on the market. It was a rattlebox but it was my fun little rattle box that wouldnt give up. I've had all the common problems of the 7th gen, but those never stopped her from soldiering on.

Anyways, here is the history of my car:
  • Current Odometer Milage: 214,000 (actual milage is HIGHER as the speedo is a lil off, honda got sued for this)
  • Transmission: Auto, bad 2nd gear clutch pack since 40k miles, but tranny never failed, so honda wouldnt replace it.
  • Check Engine Light: 2 times for misfire in cylinder 3 due to low temp.
  • Worst MPG (tank avg): 19mpg, in year 2005
  • Best MPG (tank avg): 48mpg, in year 2008
  • Best Recent MPG (tank avg): 44mpg, in Nov 2013
  • Normal Commute MPG (tank avg): 33mpg (38% city, 62% hwy)
  • List of Items Repaired: head gasket, 2 front struts, 2 front lower control arms, 1 engine mount, loose driver seat (fixed 3 times)
  • Current Non-operational features: shift indicators (both center console and dash), mirror/cruise/moonroof switch lights, rear right passenger window is non-functional
  • Mechanical Repairs Needed: front driverside strut, fix engine oil leak
  • Service needed: oil change, timing belt, tranny fuild, rotate tires
  • Mods: fogs, JVC head unit (got stolen, actual whole center console was stolen), bazooka sub.

Overall, shes been pretty reliable even though head gasket and tranny issues bothered me the most, i spent less than $2000 repairing my car over the span of 12 years. Thats avg $166 worth of repairs a year. Not bad! Anyways, i will be retiring her from as my daily driver as shes loosing a quart of oil every 2 weeks. Her ball joints will need to be replaced soon also. Ive decided not to get the timing belt done. This car will just be an around town beater. I'll still give it normal routine service, but nothing much beyond that. Im sure i can hit 250k without much effort.

What is her replacement? a 2014 Mazda3 5door

Anyways here is a recent photo of her:
Old 02-10-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retiring The Civic as a DD

Good lord that is a pretty picture.

Looks like she had a good run. The small list of repairs is quite impressive, as well. A small part of me is happy that you're keeping her around even after nabbing a new DD.

Best of luck with the Mazda. I hope it'll treat you as well as your ES1 did
Old 02-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i've never heard of the odometer being faulty. ok im back from google and according to google you actually have less mileage then what your odometer reads since they were sued for rolling over to fast not the opposite. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ter-usat_x.htm
so calculate the percentage into mileage

Last edited by lowlife9; 02-10-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Damn, that's quite a nice post for your car! Really cool picture too! My friend has a '13 Mazda 3 4-door. It's not too shabby. :-)
Old 02-10-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Nice pic. Glad the car was good to you.
Old 02-10-2014
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i've never heard of the odometer being faulty. ok im back from google and according to google you actually have less mileage then what your odometer reads since they were sued for rolling over to fast not the opposite. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ter-usat_x.htm
so calculate the percentage into mileage
your right about the specifics of the case. i forgot about the details.

but my odometer was off anyways, my speedometer and odometer always gave a lower reading. thus, i actually have more mileage than the odometer shows. good for resale value i guess, jk.
Old 02-10-2014
Registered!!

thanks all for the nice comments!
Old 02-10-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

glad yer keeping her hope it gets to the target miles
Old 03-15-2014
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Good work. Great picture. I still remember the 7thgencivicdays