7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Civic overheating/no hot air in winter/no cold air in summer

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014
Registered!!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light
Civic overheating/no hot air in winter/no cold air in summer

Ever since I bought by 2005 Honda Civic EX Coupe Special Edition A/T, back in June 2012, it has had one big issue, which is loss of coolant.

Now when I bought the car 1 month later I took it to the shop where I bought it from the mechanic replaced an O2 sensor under the car, (its a rebuilt title, had 85k miles on it when bought; currently has 103k miles), it either didnt blow cool air in summer, or hot air now when its extremely cold.

The coolant level keeps going low. The O2 sensor before the Cat Converter has been replaced, so has the thermostat, which I payed ~$30 just for the thermostat to ensure quality, yet it still overheats.

My exhaust gives out this sweet smell, as I have read about is a sign of head gasket problems.

Without further part replacement, such as fuel pressure regulator, water pump, or new radiator coil, new radiator hoses, or even a rad replacement, should I go ahead and save up and plan head gasket replacement+timing belt+water pump?

Ive got all the parts priced from www.hondapartscheap.com to ensure I get OEM parts, and even have local machine shops nearby where I can go to get the head machined, and even pressure tested.

This issues has been going on for 2 years now, and the cylinder heads could have pretty much been warped bad.

I have two options. Fix it, and drive it, or fix it and sell it and buy me a manual civic just for the hell of driving stick.

I have zero experience with head gasket replacement, but have knowledge of tools, all the tools required for the HG replacement, and even plan on getting a Haynes manual, and plan on labeling every single part I open, and maintaining a clean work area and dedicating a whole weekend to it.

What should I do you think my issue is HG? or should i take it to a mechanic for a diagnosis?

So far these are the symptoms: Sweet smell from exhaust. one time, the backup reservoir cap just exploded and antifreeze got everywhere under the hood, coolant loss, no traces of green coolant flowing down the valve cover, fuel efficiency decrease noticeable (under 300miles per full tank), and even revving higher and more harder just to get to 60-mph.
Old 01-07-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic overheating/no hot air in winter/no cold air in summer

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 01-08-2014
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Really? You're just going to leave the OP with that with his "back up reserve cap exploding"? And you chastise me for not stating the obvious.

OP, plan for an HG, timing belt, water pump and a new head if it's warped beyond machining.

Edit: OP, check your radiator as well for leaks along the seams and/or cracks on the back side of where the top hose attaches.

Last edited by Matt_75; 01-08-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I was feeling a snark coming on at that moment. Didn't think I should have typed it all out.

Where's that 12 step program at?
Old 01-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

You can check these links out too. If you are worried about your head, you should consider pickup another head from a junk yard. I was able to pickup an ex head a week ago for $100, only catch is I had to remove it myself. Good luck.

Mine overheat when I drive on the highway for an hour and then go into stop and go traffic for half and hour to one hour.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...arts-list.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...elt-diy-3.html

http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/082002_07.pdf

Last edited by nsrhonda89; 01-24-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2014
Registered!!

Erf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of lightErf_Em2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Really? You're just going to leave the OP with that with his "back up reserve cap exploding"? And you chastise me for not stating the obvious.

OP, plan for an HG, timing belt, water pump and a new head if it's warped beyond machining.

Edit: OP, check your radiator as well for leaks along the seams and/or cracks on the back side of where the top hose attaches.

Its been a while back in February I replaced my backup resevoir
because the cap came off and No stores sold just the resevoir cap so I had to buy the entire container from Autozone.

Since then: 2-3 overheats but no coolant loss.

My AC/Heating works great

New issue: However, my driver seat floor mat stays wet all the time.
Old 05-02-2014
Registered!!

Also did a combustion block test using a NAPA Block Tester.
However, the liquid did not change color to indicate a leak of exhaust gases through the head gasket. I tried this test three times

I double checked the tool was working by testing my muffler's exhaust fumes and the color changed to yellow.

Im convinced the head gasket isnt the issue after having no loss of coolant
Old 05-02-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

there's a lot of other stuff in the links, that are not the gasket too
Old 05-02-2014

Originally Posted by Erf_Em2
Also did a combustion block test using a NAPA Block Tester.
However, the liquid did not change color to indicate a leak of exhaust gases through the head gasket. I tried this test three times
Passing that test doesn't necessarily mean it isn't bad.
It only means that test didn't pick up the problem.
You DO have a problem, no?

You just haven't done the test that proves the failure yet.

The block tester test is not reliable enough for me to trust it.

Too many of these head gasket failures will pass that test with flying colors.

Im convinced the head gasket isnt the issue after having no loss of coolant
I'm not.
Old 05-16-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Passing that test doesn't necessarily mean it isn't bad.
It only means that test didn't pick up the problem.
You DO have a problem, no?

You just haven't done the test that proves the failure yet.

The block tester test is not reliable enough for me to trust it.

Too many of these head gasket failures will pass that test with flying colors.

I'm not.
As far as testing goes, are you referring to the compression test?

And what will happen to my engine if the head gasket if worn out completely?
Old 05-16-2014

As far as testing goes, are you referring to the compression test?
No.

From the link:
My procedure:
Start with a hot engine, pull out plugs and rad cap:
Pressurize each cylinder (@TDC, one at a time) with shop air line pressure 170+ PSI. Watch for the coolant level to rise when you get to the bad one. (sometimes this is a slow process)
If no results, then wait for the engine to cool down and repeat this same procedure on each cylinder.

If it passes this test, then it's probably ok right now.

And what will happen to my engine if the head gasket if worn out completely?
It gets more and more expensive to fix correctly.
Old 05-16-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

You did not even have read the link?!?

Sorry, you are in denial. We cannot help you
Old 06-12-2014
Registered!!

May I request this old thread be taken down? I traded the car in for a 5 Speed EM2 and do not have to worry about this issue. Perhaps it may be of use to other users with the information on here. Cheers.
Old 06-12-2014

May I request this old thread be taken down?

I traded the car in for a 5 Speed EM2 and do not have to worry about this issue.
Has this new car had its head gasket job done yet?