7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

HU & Speaker install SUCCESS !

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotcivicback is an unknown quantity at this point
HU & Speaker install SUCCESS !

Hi Guys,
After nearly 10 years I got back the 2004 Civic EX Sedan that my kids used during HS and college. I am slowly going to fix it up and now have just installed a Kenwood KDC BT555U HU and Polk Audio DB651s speakers in front and a new wiring harness. The system works great until I open or close either door and then the HU goes into protect mode. I removed each speaker one at a time and no matter what speaker is in when I open or close the door the HU goes into protect mode. I took both speakers out and hooked up the old stock speaker to each side and no problems opening or closing the doors. Could I have screwed up the harness, I soldered and insulated with the shrink tubes or something else? btw, I used the diy threads on this site and they were great help.

Last edited by gotcivicback; 01-05-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: HU & Speaker install fail

Welcome.

I would say that its a problem with the speakers since the hu is ok with the stock ones in. Does it mention anything in the manual for the hu about the protect mode?
Old 01-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

If it only does it with the new speakers, then you know the issue isn't with the harness.
Try with one new and one old speaker, then reverse and see if the problem persists.
How are you hooking up the new speakers? Do you have a harness adapter for the polks? Did you cut the wires and put in new spade clips? That is the area I would focus my attention on.
Old 01-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gotcivicback
Could I have screwed up the harness, I soldered and insulated with the shrink tubes or something else?
It's doubtful, how did you mount the speakers in door? Sounds to me like the speaker is grounding out so the + terminal is probably touching the door somewhere. When you open or shut the door it cause the speaker to move and ground out. That would be where I would look.

Or either you somehow managed to wire the dome light to the radio so it zaps the radio with 12V when you open the door.

Last edited by drhawkinz; 01-04-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2014
Registered!!

Thanks everyone, I did not touch any of the existing wiring. The new speakers are mounted on new spacers and I used the existing wire connection=harness for the new speakers. These are shallow speakers so they are not touching anything. The HU manual says the protect mode will happen when the terminals of the speaker wire are not insulated properly?
Old 01-05-2014
Registered!!

Thanks everyone, I did not touch any of the existing wiring. The new speakers are mounted on new spacers and I used the existing wire connection=harness for the new speakers. These are shallow speakers so they are not touching anything. The HU manual says the protect mode will happen when the terminals of the speaker wire are not insulated properly?
Only thing I can think to do is wire the speakers directly to the radio and see if it still goes into protect mode. If you have a multi meter you can measure the resistance on the speakers, should be 4 Ohms. If they both read 4 Ohms then the speakers are fine.

If it doesn't go into protect mode wired this way then you may have a short in your speaker wire somewhere and may need to run a new wire to the speakers.

I would check your shrink wrapping behind the deck and make sure you didn't accidentally melt the coating off one of the wires before having to rip it all apart.
Old 01-05-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

It sounds like one of three things.
1) The speaker adapter harnesses are bad
2) The mounting tabs on the speakers are bad
3) Somehow the speakers being on spacers are allowing the terminals to touch the door or or something in the door is hitting/shorting the terminals.

Try making your own connections with spade clips/blades and short wires and see if that helps.

I use one of these and cut off one blade. Fits better in some of the small openings.

Last edited by TiggerDX; 01-05-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2014
Registered!!

The speaker terminals were to close to the inside door frame. I adjusted the spacer and SUCCESS

Until my next problem....Thanks everyone...
Old 01-05-2014
Registered!!

Until my next problem....Thanks everyone...
No worries, let us know when you get there.